IGNORED

Javatari in Chrome on VCS

skorphy

Happy to report that I've been playing through 2600 games using javatari loading from atarimania.com in Chrome on the VCS. This is fun. This works well for most games I've tried except for games that use the Kid's Controller. I'm trying specifically to play Big Bird's Egg Catch. I have a 3 year old and I'd like to introduce him to video games through the "classics." I played that game when I was just a bit older than him on a 2600 Jr that I sadly no longer have. I'm wondering if anyone has used javatari with a virtual kids controller or if it can support such a device. I would really like to use it on the Atari VCS but I realize this is super niche. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by skorphy

I'm not sure about that game - is it a maths based game? Do you mean this controller?
If it's a keypad which you mean, and it needs big buttons, maybe a USB numeric pad?

image.thumb.png.8326cb29b22f54bb4ce40f85bcffb7e1.png

Looking on Google, here in The Netherlands, a $10 USB numeric pad is available.
You could perhaps get new labels for keytops, or paint them. (It's only $10 here.)

Oh, then again, the game probably does not read the numbers of a numeric pad.
Sorry, just thinking, and that would be a custom 2600 controller. I don't know, I
never saw one of those except Googling now. I think it's not going to work, on
later reflection, but I'll leave it here anyway, in case somebody else has an idea!

image.thumb.png.5935e7182f67e6be8ebffac59baa32ce.png

That's the controller. There were only a few games that used it. I think my family owned half of them. The games came with a card overlay to indicate the buttons that could be used and they had pictures of the game characters on them. If i knew how to program better I could probably write a phone app to control an emulator and mimic the controller. Maybe even an app optimized for the iPad mini as this is the approximate size of the Kid's Controller.

Big Bird's Egg Catch is a game that teaches counting. You play as big bird and run back and forth across the screen to catch chicken eggs in a nest on your head. I remember playing this game for hours with my cousin.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-big-bird-s-egg-catch_11538.html

• Like 1