IGNORED

Looking for someone to record music from real Atari 8-bit & ST (will pay)

xeenmusic

I'm seeking someone to make some high-quality recordings of the music (48hz WAV/FLAC) for a few older games of the Might and Magic and Phantasie series for an archive I am working on with some of those who composed the music. We want to ensure that the actual original hardware is used and recorded from. (I understand the emulation scene. We don't want to use emulation, but the authentic system/hardware.) The games do not have much music and I have saved games and/or hacked images to easily get to each location for recording if necessary. I am willing to pay for the time invested.

Needed games/systems:

Atari 8-bit
* Phantasie 1 - one title theme
* Phantasie 2 - one title theme

Atari ST
* Phantasie 1 - one title theme
* Phantasie 2 - one title theme
* Phantasie 3 - one title theme, plus some jingles
* Star Command - three short themes

Apple IIe
* Might and Magic 1 - about 1 minute of music (though this version may not actually have any music)
* Might and Magic 2 - about 1 minute of music
* King's Bounty - about 1 minute of music

(We're also looking for help with recording from a few obscure Japanese machines, that I doubt anyone here has, but here there are just to be safe -- FMR-50, FM Towns, PC-88, PC-88VA, FM-77AV, PC-98)

Thank you in advance for any interest and help.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 8:15 AM, xeenmusic said:

I'm seeking someone to make some high-quality recordings of the music (48hz WAV/FLAC) for a few older

48hz? What's that?

Do you mean 48 kHz? There's a small 'k' and a big 'H' in 'kilohertz'.

In modern world, there really aren't 'recordings' per se, audio captures do not utilize actual records anymore.

I would be glad to make some kind of captures for free on my Atari 800 XL, but there are a few obstacles. First, I don't want to have anything to do with 48 kilohertz. Second, I am too tired. Third, your errors (that prove something about you) create a natural repulsion towards doing anything for you, whether I want it to happen or not.

I also kind of hate when people call whole computers "8-bit", and don't have the guts to call Atari 800 computers 'Atari 800's instead of 'Atari 8-bit's. If Commodore 64 is not 'Commodore 8-bit', then why does Atari have to be?

I am glad to have helped you with your english, grammar and writing, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The original poster doesn't sound like a gimmie gimmie annoying, er, person.  He even offers to pay.  Maybe they keyboard slipped and missed the k in kilohertz.  Maybe they have little experience with Atari computers and went with descriptive language familiar to them.  I see no disrespect.

However, they might be making money from these via YouTube, Patreon and BandiCamp.  Some of these companies still might like their IP.  We all know the "if we don't sue it dilutes our rights" argument.  Fair use does not apply because nothing is transformative about full rips of music.

So, I don't think his attitude should be a factor to work for him - just that there are grey areas to providing recordings of music you do not own.  I've encountered at least one contract in my time that would have made me liable for music provided.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 5:50 AM, Gemintronic said:

Maybe they keyboard slipped and missed the k in kilohertz.  Maybe they have little experience with Atari computers and went with descriptive language familiar to them.  I see no disrespect.

This is all correct. (There also seems to be no way to edit the original post once it is made.)
Everywhere I go, lists these games as made for "Atari 8-bit."

I am contracted by the IP owner.

Edited by xeenmusic
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 10:28 AM, xeenmusic said:

This is all correct. (There also seems to be no way to edit the original post once it is made.)
Everywhere I go, lists these games as made for "Atari 8-bit."

I am contracted by the IP owner.

Phantasie 1-3 was released for the Atari 8-bit.  I can't recall if there is any music to them though.  I can see about getting them, shouldn't be terribly difficult.

On 5/9/2022 at 3:24 AM, Monk said:

I also kind of hate when people call whole computers "8-bit", and don't have the guts to call Atari 800 computers 'Atari 800's instead of 'Atari 8-bit's. If Commodore 64 is not 'Commodore 8-bit', then why does Atari have to be?

I am glad to have helped you with your english, grammar and writing, though.

When I refer to all of them, rather than only the 800, I pluralize the term: "Atari Eight-Bits." I do this because there are more than one, i.e. the 400 through the XE line.

In the case of the Commodore 64, there's (technically) only one, so an umbrella term isn't necessary.

And you didn't use consistent quoting punctuation or capitalize "English." ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Chris+++ said:

When I refer to all of them, rather than only the 800, I pluralize the term: "Atari Eight-Bits." I do this because there are more than one, i.e. the 400 through the XE line.

In the case of the Commodore 64, there's (technically) only one, so an umbrella term isn't necessary.

And you didn't use consistent quoting punctuation or capitalize "English." ?

Yeah, you can't just call them Atari 800s, because there is a specific 800, 400, XLs, XEs, etc... A8s, Atari 8bits, etc are what they are grouped under.  You can refer to C64s or C128s as a collective Commodore 8bits, or C8s, but no one would know what you are talking about, as C64 was way more common than the C128 ever was.  Not to mention they are quite different  machines.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, youxia said:

It's a time-honoured custom, that a Grammar Nazi will make at least one mistake in their "correction". Happens every time ?

Never quite understood the term Grammar Nazi.  If people were rounding up all of those who have terrible grammar and gassing them, then I could understand.  Also, if that happened, emojis wouldn't exist.  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...