IGNORED

Is there going to be a cinciclassic this year?

IceCold

I was at last year's show, but I have not yet heard anything about definitive plans for this year. I know that there was a problem with the space it was held in last year, in that the mall was going through renovations and was unavailable (even though supposedly the same spot it was held in last year has not been touched). If they still want to hold a show this year, they'll need to act quickly before it becomes too late!

..Al

I'm very disapointed there hasn't been any word on a new location. The Forest Fair Mall, where it was held before, has been sold and is currently undergoing major renovations. The new name is Cincinnati Mills.

What ticks me off is that the renovation was annouced seven months ago. Here is a newspaper article about it from January. http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/01/0...restfair03.html

I hope a location is found soon so everyone can make plans for it. I'd hate to lose this event, since it has been growing each year and it's only a drive across town for me.

I'm not really ticked, but kinda ticked, since I had heard great things about CinciClassic and was looking forward to possibly attending once we had closed on our house and things had settled down a bit. If they can't even schedule it though, it's kinda hard to go. :(

What ticks me off

Are you really ticked?

All right, just frustrated. And maybe I'm just imagining doom and gloom.

I should stop being so cynical about the event in a public forum. I don't want to disparage it or the organizers. I had a great time last year and have been looking forward to this year's show.

I'm hoping for the best, but the clock is ticking. You can look out for updates here. (None since March.)

http://www.cinciclassic.com/

So, is there going to be a cinciclassic this year?  I enjoyed last years, was wondering if there's going to be another.

My understanding was that it was called off this year period because one of the main organizers is off in Afghanistan or Iraq.

marrty,

I think your mean CCAG, there was going a one his year but Tom got called to duty so it got postponed until next year.

Dan Iacovelli

• 3 weeks later...

From the Cinciclassic web site:

(8/23/2003)  

CinciClassic, started as RGVC-Con seven years ago, is one of the oldest events of its kind, pre-dating even the World of Atari (CGE precursor) by two years. It is a great time to be a classic gamer or collector, as these days there are so many great classic gaming shows in the USA.  

Every gaming show has its own identity, and CinciClassic's has been partially based on keeping the show free, or at least dirt cheap, to the attendees. The vendors carry most or (typically) all of the cost and no profits are made by the show organizers from the execution of the show itself.  

CinciClassic has grown steadily over its history, and attendance (well over 500 in 2002 according to Good Deal Games) has benefited greatly from walk-in traffic due to using retail storefront locations for the last two expos. Many walk-in customers have actually acquainted (or re-acquainted) themselves with our hobby, and many have made large purchases from CinciClassic dealers. This hobby growth would not be possible without the free admission and the high-traffic location of these shows. The growth in CinciClassic is not just from walk-in traffic; the active collector and gamer attendance has also grown substantially in recent years, and dealers are traveling from increasing distances to sell their wares.  

To keep prices down and attendance free or dirt cheap, CinciClassic traditionally books its location much closer to the actual show date than most other shows. While this disadvantages the collector by giving them less time to plan their attendance, it keeps the cost down...the kinds of lease deals CinciClassic has obtained are simply not available nine to twelve months out.  

Given the difficulty in finding a suitable location so far this year, the organizers of CinciClassic are re-evaluating strategy and policy in terms of where the show is located, how far ahead the show is booked, and what the cost model is for both attendees and dealers.  

The show is as healthy as ever, however, and we're looking forward to getting everyone back together for some great times! There may or may not be a CinciClassic in 2003, but this is not the end for CinciClassic. Stay tuned.

Well holding off so long to announce the details isn't a good idea. Simply because it causes the vendor who might have been expected to come to get nervous and go elsewhere. I suspect this is why I was approached by Warpzone Video Games who will be attending the OKGE September 20.

I actually plan that if this first OKGE does well, I will begin to plan the next one for about the same time of year next year, but get the planning started much earlier as I will need more space, and don't want to feel rushed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Site is back up. It says on the website:

(8/23/2003)

CinciClassic, started as RGVC-Con seven years ago, is one of the oldest events of its kind, pre-dating even the World of Atari (CGE precursor) by two years. It is a great time to be a classic gamer or collector, as these days there are so many great classic gaming shows in the USA.

Every gaming show has its own identity, and CinciClassic's has been partially based on keeping the show free, or at least dirt cheap, to the attendees. The vendors carry most or (typically) all of the cost and no profits are made by the show organizers from the execution of the show itself.

CinciClassic has grown steadily over its history, and attendance (well over 500 in 2002 according to Good Deal Games) has benefited greatly from walk-in traffic due to using retail storefront locations for the last two expos. Many walk-in customers have actually acquainted (or re-acquainted) themselves with our hobby, and many have made large purchases from CinciClassic dealers. This hobby growth would not be possible without the free admission and the high-traffic location of these shows. The growth in CinciClassic is not just from walk-in traffic; the active collector and gamer attendance has also grown substantially in recent years, and dealers are traveling from increasing distances to sell their wares.

To keep prices down and attendance free or dirt cheap, CinciClassic traditionally books its location much closer to the actual show date than most other shows. While this disadvantages the collector by giving them less time to plan their attendance, it keeps the cost down...the kinds of lease deals CinciClassic has obtained are simply not available nine to twelve months out.

Given the difficulty in finding a suitable location so far this year, the organizers of CinciClassic are re-evaluating strategy and policy in terms of where the show is located, how far ahead the show is booked, and what the cost model is for both attendees and dealers.

The show is as healthy as ever, however, and we're looking forward to getting everyone back together for some great times! There may or may not be a CinciClassic in 2003, but this is not the end for CinciClassic. Stay tuned.