IGNORED

Looking for someone to record music from real Apple2e (will pay)

xeenmusic

I'm seeking someone to make some high-quality recordings of the music (48hz WAV/FLAC) for a few older games of the Might and Magic and Phantasie series for an archive I am working on with some of those who composed the music. We want to ensure that the actual original hardware is used and recorded from. (I understand the emulation scene. We don't want to use emulation, but the authentic system/hardware.) The games do not have much music and I have saved games and/or hacked images to easily get to each location for recording if necessary. I am willing to pay for the time invested.

Needed games/systems:

Apple IIe
* Might and Magic 1 - about 1 minute of music (though this version may not actually have any music)
* Might and Magic 2 - about 1 minute of music
* King's Bounty - about 1 minute of music

Atari 8-bit
* Phantasie 1 - one title theme
* Phantasie 2 - one title theme

Atari ST
* Phantasie 1 - one title theme
* Phantasie 2 - one title theme
* Phantasie 3 - one title theme, plus some jingles
* Star Command - three short themes

(We're also looking for help with recording from a few obscure Japanese machines, that I doubt anyone here has, but here there are just to be safe -- FMR-50, FM Towns, PC-88, PC-88VA, FM-77AV, PC-98)

Thank you in advance for any interest and help.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have the Apple II hardware, but not the software.  But in case someone out there has both...

How do you want to capture the sound?  Do you want it captured directly off the board?  (Plug the Apple II sound-out directly into a sound capture device) Or do you have a professional sound studio setup in mind?  In which case, I can't help you.

If it is the former, then I would suggest using an Apple //c for this, as it has a built in audio-out/headphone jack.  It's virtually the same machine, but the //e would probably need (at the very least) a specialized cable made to capture the sound from the speaker pins.  Also, Unlike the //c, the //e lacks independent volume control.

Either way, I'm not sure what you mean by "high-quality"?   These were machines with beep speakers.  So the audio output on them is kinda miserable, absent something like a mockingboard.  

I could probably give this a go with my //c and Floppy Emu.  As the last poster noted, it has a headphone jack, making it plug and play for this kind of thing. In theory, the sound from a //c should be identical to a IIe, as there is no real sound hardware. The cpu drives the speaker directly. Alternatively, my IIgs also has a headphone jack, but now you are straying slightly form "real" 8 bit hardware, as the IIgs basically emulates the 8 bit software using the Mega II chip and relies on the backward compatibility of its 16bit CPU. 

I do have a mockingboard (Phasor, actually) clone in my IIe. I don't currently have the internal speaker plugged into it, but there is a header to run the speaker output through the card. Although that may change the sound slightly, as I'm pretty sure the card has its own amp on it. But that would allow me to easily plug that into my computer.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:13 PM, nick3092 said:

I could probably give this a go with my //c and Floppy Emu.  As the last poster noted, it has a headphone jack, making it plug and play for this kind of thing. In theory, the sound from a //c should be identical to a IIe, as there is no real sound hardware. The cpu drives the speaker directly. Alternatively, my IIgs also has a headphone jack, but now you are straying slightly form "real" 8 bit hardware, as the IIgs basically emulates the 8 bit software using the Mega II chip and relies on the backward compatibility of its 16bit CPU. 

I do have a mockingboard (Phasor, actually) clone in my IIe. I don't currently have the internal speaker plugged into it, but there is a header to run the speaker output through the card. Although that may change the sound slightly, as I'm pretty sure the card has its own amp on it. But that would allow me to easily plug that into my computer.

Thank you for your interest. If you can go through with this it would be very helpful indeed.
If you can, please PM me and I can send you the exact disc image files over that I will be using (as some of them have been hacked slightly to make music easier to reach, and so that an unused jingle will play that cannot normally be heard).
I don't need a professional sound studio. Considering the sound source, it would definitely be an overkill and not improve the beeps at all. But I don't want a junky recording that has a bunch of noise in the background (I've run into enough people with that...), and it needs to be recorded in 48hz .WAV.
I want to capture the musical beeps in a way that it would preserve sound identical as to  how the person who was composing the music would have heard it as they were composing it on the real Apple machine at the time that the games would have been developed.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:00 AM, xeenmusic said:

I don't need a professional sound studio. Considering the sound source, it would definitely be an overkill and not improve the beeps at all. But I don't want a junky recording that has a bunch of noise in the background (I've run into enough people with that...), and it needs to be recorded in 48hz .WAV.
I want to capture the musical beeps in a way that it would preserve sound identical as to  how the person who was composing the music would have heard it as they were composing it on the real Apple machine at the time that the games would have been developed.

What's needed here is a real machine with a real speaker and a real microphone recording it in a quiet room.

Direct connection via the audio jack isn't going to cut it if you want a realistic sound recording.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just went ahead and had someone record it from the out jack. There's no purpose to sending the time and money to get 30seconds of beeps done. This is authentic and better than an emulator.

So, with that said... The AppleII recordings are done. I just need someone now who can help with the two simple Atari-8bit intro themes from Phantasie 1 and 2. (Needs to be from an NTSC unit.)

Edited by xeenmusic

• 3 months later...