IGNORED

No Sound in VCS Mode

Allpaul

I sent an email to Atari support, but I'm sure I won't hear back until at least Tuesday, with the holiday and all. Hoping one of you guys can help me. I have sound when booted into Windows 10, but nothing when I boot into Atari OS. Has this happened to anyone else? 

20 hours ago, Allpaul said:

I sent an email to Atari support, but I'm sure I won't hear back until at least Tuesday, with the holiday and all. Hoping one of you guys can help me. I have sound when booted into Windows 10, but nothing when I boot into Atari OS. Has this happened to anyone else? 

No, but I don't suppose you'd paired it with Bluetooth speakers recently had you?
I had a similar problem with other equipment, and was like WTF, no sound, blah, 
and then turning it to max, I realised it was playing through my headphones... :-D Doh!

Also, maybe if you have a keyboard with media controls, did you catch the <mute>?

I know they sound stupid suggestions, but I've done them both at one time or another.
As I work in IT, it's all to easy to look for a technical reason, when the cause is simpler. ? 

Thanks for the replies. I have an Apple magic keyboard that has volume and mute, but they don't seem to do anything. I've never had any type of bluetooth speaker, or any controller except the Atari ones. 

I'm wondering if a factory reset would fix it? Has anyone else done one? I don't see anything about sound in the control panels, unless I'm missing something. I think it might be my last resort.

Edited by Allpaul

Here's a little update: I tried a factory reset. It would only let me delete the user profile, and keep the apps installed. The other option where you wipe out all the downloads was greyed out. That didn't change anything with the sound.

I tried a different HDMI cable. When I rebooted, a buzz came through the speakers, like the sound that happens when you're trying to plug in computer speakers that are turned on. Then the sound never came back. 

Is there a way to reinstall the software? Maybe that would fix this. Like I said, Windows is working fine on my flash drive.

• 3 weeks later...

I figured out what was going on with the sound. I used to use an old Mac mini as my media center. I installed windows on the VCS, and planned to use it instead. I run a USB turntable to my computer to pipe the sound of my records through the stereo system through a computer program called EZ Vinyl/Tape Converter. When the USB cable is plugged in on VCS mode, the sound doesn’t work, but works fine under Windows 10. Any Idea why that would be??

The USB cable is a long one, and it has a a fat part on it. I wonder if that makes any difference at all.