IGNORED

Request: Improved Zaxxon

Prizrak

Zaxxon is pretty simplistic compared to release on other consoles at the time. I know the 2600 is limited and that is why it looks like it does. I would love to see someone like Champ Games use CDFJ to give the console a Zaxxon it deserves.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

I thought I'd have a look and see how @rbairos's MovieCart might handle a Zaxxon display.

This is just a video playback of screen recording of Stella playing a screen recording converted to MovieCart :)

But the idea is that with some nous, it might be possible to use the MovieCart 10-sprite + colour + BG display technology to do a number of vertical-format arcade games. Maybe, maybe not. The encoding might be an issue. But in any case, here's a look-see (of course, unoptimised) at what Zaxxon might be like.  I still think Joe's demo is amazing, though.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

But in any case, here's a look-see (of course, unoptimised) at what Zaxxon might be like

Wow, incredible. It looks good even though the 45 degree angles go against the 2600's orthogonally coloured sprite nature. This is a proof of concept that just about any game could be adapted, given the appropriate amount of on-cart graphics acceleration.