Jump to content
IGNORED

Are People Crazy on Ebay???


DavidMil

Recommended Posts

To answer the thread title directly, I personally don't care if ebay sellers are crazy or not. And they likely are. Their mental health status is no concern of mine.

 

All I'm waiting for is a couple of spiral-bound manuals to drop to my price of about $20. If they want to make a sale, they will meet my price. And they will do it on their own. All by themselves. Without any goading or pleading & begging from me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the opinion that eBay is a dichotomy between good sense and extreme indulgence; you can get a good deal on something you really want, or idiots will fight over junk. I believe this because I have been on both sides of that coin... 🧐

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

WOW...BUT did you read the spec???

Item specifics

Seller Notes:
“NO RETURNS! Please buy ONLY after reading full item description. Thank you!”
 
Brand:Atari
Type:Home Computer
Bundle Description:Computer + Hard Drive + Monitor + Keyboard + Mouse
Custom Bundle:No
Model:Atari 1200XL
MPN:Does Not Apply
Modified Item:No
Vintage:Yes
UPC:Does not apply
 
If some does not understand they are going to get ******..
Hope some one reads it..
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Bundle Description:Computer + Hard Drive + Monitor + Keyboard + Mouse

Strange, because later in the description he says:-

  • We used monitor cable to connect to monitor. This cable is NOT included. We did not test the RF TV out.

so there's no photo's of anything else other than the 1200XL,PSU and a couple of carts, I think he's messed up the initial description

 

This is further down the page, no mention of any other hardware.

 

Item Description:
  • The rare Atari 1200XL.
  • Beautifully preserved, seems almost new, very few details for being 40 years old.
  • Tested working until booting Centipede game, and BASIC.
  • ALL KEYS TYPE FINE: this is usually a typical problem of the 1200XL, but we replaced the keyboard of this one for one that is fully working.
  • We used monitor cable to connect to monitor. This cable is NOT included. We did not test the RF TV out.
  • Apart from above mentioned tests, NO FURTHER TESTS PERFORMED.
  • We used a STEPDOWN CONVERTER to be able to connect the 110-volt US power supply to the 220V-volt electricity in Europe. You need to use a similar approach, or use an equally-rated European power supply. Never forget about the voltage difference, not to burn the power supply and avoid damage to the computer!
  • No warranty, no returns.
  • It will be professionally packed for safety, and shipped worldwide.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I want to see the hard drive...

Technically, my 800XL has a hard drive...

 

I use my 800XL as a games console, so it has a MyIDE2 in the cartridge port which hosts a 3GB Compact Flash Microdrive. While many people are converting their mechanical hard drives to solid state, I took the road less traveled and have an actual spinning hard disk on an old 8-bit machine. Why not, eh? 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We could always buy it.
And when it arrives without the hard drive, monitor and mouse then force him to ship those (assuming he can find a PBI interface for an IDE hard drive or an SD card interface) because they were explicitly in the description.
Shipping a monitor overseas could be expensive.
Even more fun if the fragile monitor arrives damaged and he has to ship it again.

But I'm guessing it was just a copy/paste error from an ST auction.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, stepho said:

And when it arrives without the hard drive, monitor and mouse then force him to ship those (assuming he can find a PBI interface for an IDE hard drive or an SD card interface) because they were explicitly in the description.

No, they aren't mentioned anywhere in his actual description, which is written quite clearly and has a heap of quality photos. So good luck with forcing him to do anything, since I'm pretty sure ebay would see it as a form filling typo and not an attempt to mislead.

 

Seriously, you guys sound like you've never made a simple mistake in your online auctions. It happens, not a big deal really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Muzz73 said:

Technically, my 800XL has a hard drive...

 

I use my 800XL as a games console, so it has a MyIDE2 in the cartridge port which hosts a 3GB Compact Flash Microdrive. While many people are converting their mechanical hard drives to solid state, I took the road less traveled and have an actual spinning hard disk on an old 8-bit machine. Why not, eh? 🤷‍♂️

It's sort of the way I use my Atari, I use the AVG as  a HDD substitute, so it's more like a console than a computer...Works for me..

 

Paul..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, youxia said:

No, they aren't mentioned anywhere in his actual description, which is written quite clearly and has a heap of quality photos. So good luck with forcing him to do anything, since I'm pretty sure ebay would see it as a form filling typo and not an attempt to mislead.

 

Seriously, you guys sound like you've never made a simple mistake in your online auctions. It happens, not a big deal really.

I think it was more in a 'bit of fun' idea, I can't imagine anyone going through the motions of actually spending the money and making the claims. As it happens I'm very careful of what is in any advert on Ebay that I post, purely based on the notion someone may get the wrong idea, who needs negative comments. Hopefully someone points out the mistakes to the person so they can alter the ad, (if that's allowed).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I love the "very rare" yet if you look at the details it says 3 available, 21 sold....So not very rare.. Also, there are numerous adverts for the same type of machine by the same seller..That machine being rare and all that..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also the state of it, it's got "bum fluff" in the SIO port, other ports also have "stuff" in them

and it's filthy, if your gonna ask stupid prices at least clean your act up :)

 

Maybe I should put one of my "very rare" 130XE's for sale, could get more as mine are nice and clean 🤣

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

$1,300 for an Atari 65XE???

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363144251339

Another son.of.sun special.  Can't figure it out; there are two or three other sellers in Egypt that pop up from time to time and their prices are generally pretty reasonable.  As best I can tell, he's trying to corner the market on Najm XEs so that he can charge ridiculous prices for them.  Then again, pretty much everything he has is way overpriced, so it could just be a case of waiting for that one person with more money than sense to come along.

 

Full credit to him for trying, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/18/2022 at 11:21 AM, reifsnyderb said:

$1,300 for an Atari 65XE???

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363144251339

 

I think I can explain this one.  The members of the High Table at the Continental (John Wick fame) have decided to ditch the VIC-20 and C-64's to put out their contracts and have done a tech refresh to the Atari 65XE.  I could be wrong.  I believe method of payment is either $1,300 or one gold coin.

 

 

Edited by ACML
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ACML said:

I think I can explain this one.  The members of the High Table at the Continental (John Wick fame) have decided to ditch the VIC-20 and C-64's to put out their contracts and have done a tech refresh to the Atari 65XE.  I could be wrong.

 

If you are right, it would be a nice upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...