IGNORED

oled switch coming

It's cool for folks looking to replace a v1 that's degrading/failing, I think.  I play my v2 docked about 90% of the time so an OLED screen wouldn't benefit me much.

I am curious about Ethernet being built into the dock- maybe more to come on online stuff?

• Like 2

^ I hate to admit it, but he's right.

I hadn't thought of the competitions price.  In this case like I said, it's a basic pop up from like DMG to GBP or DS to DSLite.  A screen improvement, a few superficial fixes and minor upgrades to the optional services of the unit (a less flimsy healthy multipoint stand, the ethernet port (good if you have garbage wifi in your area), slightly bigger what .8" panel that happens to be OLED.  I mean sure if the OLED sipped power compared to what's there, sweet, but it's the same for some screwball reason if they're not underestimating it in reviews on purpose to play it safe.  It's just $50 higher for mostly fluff.  It's a premium to the Switch lite, maybe, if the plastics aren't as shitty as the original where just heat causes them to crack near the vents and corners like the shield tablet does it's based on.

I have 99% no interest in it.  If my Switch finally gets too ragged where it doesn't make sense, I might fish for one later, but if I also start smelling blood in the water where sales start to fall and they urge a Pro onto the market in a 6mo period or whatever to stop the bleed, I'd avoid it too for that.  For all we know, that may be the plan too?  Discontinue the original, drop the OLED then once stock is depleted down to $300, and now consumers cozy with the added price will pay +50 for the Pro.  IT almost makes too much sense.

• Like 1

Since the wife and I play handheld so much I like the idea. That being said ours is only a year old and it isnt like the screen is terrible. I still see it helping sales. I will be interested to see if the standard drops in price. My guess is no.

On 7/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, 0078265317 said:

So what is the difference between this and the original? Just better screen.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/6/22456337/nintendo-switch-oled-model-specs-date-price

Better screen and better stand, plus the Ethernet thing on the dock (does the original have that?).  The stand thing is funny, because it should have been that way from the start and this is more of a "fix to a stupid idea" than a true upgrade.  Oh, and the dock and controllers are white with silver print?  Not going to lie, looks pretty nice.  But since my V1 works fine and like @digdugnate I do 90 plus % of my gaming docked, no real added value for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curious Sofa said:

Better screen and better stand, plus the Ethernet thing on the dock (does the original have that?).  The stand thing is funny, because it should have been that way from the start and this is more of a "fix to a stupid idea" than a true upgrade.  Oh, and the dock and controllers are white with silver print?  Not going to lie, looks pretty nice.  But since my V1 works fine and like @digdugnate I do 90 plus % of my gaming docked, no real added value for me.

First part, no just wifi and in system, not on dock. Second thing, duhhhhhh yup Nintendo blew that part with the little flimsy stick of gum shaped stand/memory card port cover.  And yeah it looks great, and the slightly larger panel always helps a bit too.  I do most my switch play off tv, either lazy or just because it's easier to hold it and get comfy in the fluffy chair, so this would be a good move to a point for me.  I never use the stand, wouldn't use the wired jack either, so the goal for me would be slightly more view space and whatever the OLED really offers over the other which really should just be subtle.  Mine would need to fall apart more before I'd consider it.

• Like 1