IGNORED

Demons of Asteborg - New Game with a physical release for the Genesis/MegaDrive

c0op3r

54 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Still have not tested it on the Japanese VA4, but I put it in the Nomad and it works. Yay, happy, I suppose.

I don't remember when I ordered mine but it was after the kickstarter and mine hasn't arrived yet. 

But I do remember now that at least one other person over at Sega-16 reported the game not working on their va4 MD either. But they also stated they couldn't get Paprium working either on it so it does appear that the va4's are... 'unique' shall we say.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I don't remember when I ordered mine but it was after the kickstarter and mine hasn't arrived yet. 

But I do remember now that at least one other person over at Sega-16 reported the game not working on their va4 MD either. But they also stated they couldn't get Paprium working either on it so it does appear that the va4's are... 'unique' shall we say.

Yeah, the Japanese VA4 is a weird revision with some notable problems like this. It has excellent audio, though. I was lucky to get a VA4 on my first try. I don't really want to try the Mega Drive lottery given their 8000~10000 yen prices, but I'm looking for both a VA0 and a VA3, preferably in excellent condition. I'll hopefully find them one day. I've found a mint-looking 1988 one in a certain store and I imagine that it's a VA0, but I haven't bought it yet.

2 hours ago, Yurkie said:

Has anyone bought the rom file?  Is it available immediately after purchase?

It is 14.99 Euro which is $17.33 at the time I am writing this.

I bought the actual physical game (Still waiting on it) and it came with the rom so I don't have an answer for that. They sent me an email with the link to the current ROM as soon as the game was released so my guess is that if you buy it ROM only, you will likely get an email PDQ with the link.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived yesterday but aside from opening it and checking out the contents, I've not actually popped it in to play yet. I did find it interesting that inside the case there is a label sticker that is behind the cartridge which checkboxes for things like Double Bevel edges and the such. I guess it was like a Q/A process that someone inspected on each one and initialed off on on the sticker. I'm assuming that is a newer thing with the version 1.1 release?

I put quite a bit of time into this game the other night and noticed something odd with it that I don't get in emulation? Specifically it has to do with the audio. When you pick up the floating gems, the sound for it alternates between left/right like rings do in Sonic games. That is actually something I hadn't noticed in my digital version of the rom I've played in emulation. But, the more odd thing is that entire sections of the music itself will just switch channels in mid game? As an example I will hear the melody and other stuff mainly coming from say the right channel and then I defeat an enemy and everything switches 180 on the channels? It is just jarring when it happens and sounds more like something messed up with the audio routine than being an artistic choice?

Anyone else noticed this? Also, I'm pretty sure I have the v1.1 of this since I just got mine middle of this past week. I didn't check though, does it display the version anywhere within the game?

• Confused 1

On 11/14/2021 at 1:06 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I put quite a bit of time into this game the other night and noticed something odd with it that I don't get in emulation? Specifically it has to do with the audio. When you pick up the floating gems, the sound for it alternates between left/right like rings do in Sonic games. That is actually something I hadn't noticed in my digital version of the rom I've played in emulation. But, the more odd thing is that entire sections of the music itself will just switch channels in mid game? As an example I will hear the melody and other stuff mainly coming from say the right channel and then I defeat an enemy and everything switches 180 on the channels? It is just jarring when it happens and sounds more like something messed up with the audio routine than being an artistic choice?

Anyone else noticed this? Also, I'm pretty sure I have the v1.1 of this since I just got mine middle of this past week. I didn't check though, does it display the version anywhere within the game?

I will see if I can find something weird with the audio this weekend. I'll try the real cart on my VA4 and probably on the Nomad just to see if the hardware used makes a difference, but also just because I love the Nomad.

• 1 month later...

So back in August when I ordered this, was the Collector’s Edition a thing?

F6EECBB5-207B-48A7-B1AA-D00C5BE7FA27.thumb.jpeg.6f0e4d14d68156719d0e05acc8b173a8.jpeg

https://www.demonsofasteborg.com/index.php/produit/demons-of-asteborg-collector-edition/?attribute_a-cover-signed-by-the-developers-themselves=Yes

Disappointingly, there is no physical (or digital) copy of the AMAZING soundtrack. (Unless that is one of the things on the USB drive.) However, there is additional game content - an extra level and an extra game mode.

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

So back in August when I ordered this, was the Collector’s Edition a thing?

F6EECBB5-207B-48A7-B1AA-D00C5BE7FA27.thumb.jpeg.6f0e4d14d68156719d0e05acc8b173a8.jpeg

https://www.demonsofasteborg.com/index.php/produit/demons-of-asteborg-collector-edition/?attribute_a-cover-signed-by-the-developers-themselves=Yes

Disappointingly, there is no physical (or digital) copy of the AMAZING soundtrack. (Unless that is one of the things on the USB drive.) However, there is additional game content - an extra level and an extra game mode.

The collectors edition looks a lot like what many of the reviewers received before the game started to ship. I believe it might have only been available to KS backers as well since that is where the project initially got started. Like you I ordered my copy from their website directly after their KS campaign and I don't recall a collectors edition being available to purchase at that time.

• Thanks 1

That's indeed what I got (minus a few goodies maybe - not sure what the "secret gift" is for instance), but I agree I find weird the collector's edition was for the reviewers while they only needed the game in theory. If you guys were not several countries afar from me, I would gladly give it to you!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

That's indeed what I got (minus a few goodies maybe - not sure what the "secret gift" is for instance), but I agree I find weird the collector's edition was for the reviewers while they only needed the game in theory. If you guys were not several countries afar from me, I would gladly give it to you!

Does your copy have the additional level and stuff that's in this? Having them just kind of stealth launch this on their website with extra game content that nobody who donated to the Kickstarter has after taking so long to finish the game and then even longer to ship it is... yeah. Great job, Neofid. Way to earn respect.

• Sad 1

Oh...now I see. I misunderstood before. So this is a new pre-order they have offered for a collectors version then? My guess is that people asked about how to get something similar to what the reviewers received and they came up with this collectors edition. I do find it odd that there is an extra game mode and hidden level that is only possible with this version though? That seems a bit... off. 

Well, I won't complain too much on this because what I haven't told anyone until now...

About a month after my copy of the game arrived, a second copy that I never ordered arrived. My guess is that the second copy could actually be the 1.1 version of the game and not the first one I received. But I'm not sure if there is a way to tell the difference as they both looked exactly the same from all outward appearance. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Oh...now I see. I misunderstood before. So this is a new pre-order they have offered for a collectors version then? My guess is that people asked about how to get something similar to what the reviewers received and they came up with this collectors edition. I do find it odd that there is an extra game mode and hidden level that is only possible with this version though? That seems a bit... off. 

Well, I won't complain too much on this because what I haven't told anyone until now...

About a month after my copy of the game arrived, a second copy that I never ordered arrived. My guess is that the second copy could actually be the 1.1 version of the game and not the first one I received. But I'm not sure if there is a way to tell the difference as they both looked exactly the same from all outward appearance. 

Yes, that's the 1.0 and 1.1. I think there's a sticker inside the box behind where the cart is with the version number.

Okay, well, I checked mine and maybe not lol

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yes, that's the 1.0 and 1.1. I think there's a sticker inside the box behind where the cart is with the version number.

Okay, well, I checked mine and maybe not lol

Yeah I also looked and didn't see anything different between them. I've not popped the second one in to see if there is a version number displayed within the game anywhere.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/26/2021 at 3:12 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

One thing I can say is that you should probably not play this game if you hate CRAM dots.

Bump!

What are CRAM dots? Never heard of them. Is this game available loose cart only? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Zeptari1 said:

Bump!

What are CRAM dots? Never heard of them. Is this game available loose cart only? 

The CRAM dots are the little flickering specks of color that appear on the bottom below the gameplay field. BITD of playing on a CRT we never saw these because they are in the overscan area and therefore, not seen. But on modern displays and using scalers like the OSSC, Retrotink..etc. You see everything including those little dots of color. 

The dots are essentially the current palette of colors that is in active memory at that time of the game being played. They change because their locations change as the screen moves etc. This is a very simplified description but I think that is basically correct. 

Fun fact, you can see something very similar on Atari 8-bit and 5200 games when viewing them on modern displays. Only their speckle color dots usually appear on the far right hand edge. Not all games show these but I knew what they were the first time I spotted them after adding s-video to my 5200.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zeptari1 said:

Bump!

I don’t believe so.

Because I am an idiot and also because I love this game (and, more importantly, so does my wife) I ordered the special edition back in January. It arrived yesterday by surprise. I think I will save it as a birthday present for myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I don’t believe so.

Bummer.

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I think I will save it as a birthday present for myself.

? and happy birthday?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Because I am an idiot and also because I love this game (and, more importantly, so does my wife) I ordered the special edition back in January. It arrived yesterday by surprise. I think I will save it as a birthday present for myself.

Did you get a shipping notice or did it just show up? I’m still waiting on mine as well. I’d ask for impressions but I’d hate to spoil your birthday surprise. :D
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, schnuth said:

Did you get a shipping notice or did it just show up? I’m still waiting on mine as well. I’d ask for impressions but I’d hate to spoil your birthday surprise. :D

I don't think they emailed me. I got a notification from USPS Informed Delivery.