IGNORED

Trying to fix a £5 3DO

Hello all.

I was recently cleaning my attic out and came across a 3DO (FZ-1) I forgot I brought years ago from a junk sale. It's never worked as long as I've had it but thought it might be an interesting project to try and get it up and running again.

Powering it on I get the 3DO logo, followed by the insert disk screen. Inserting a disk the 3DO tries to read it, The access light turns a solid green then after a few moments it ejects the disk. I've tried a couple of games and an audio disk the same happens. I opened it up to make sure the motors were working and they are, the laser is at least emitting light so that seems to be ok. I checked the worm gear also and that's totally fine and intact. Does anyone have a sugestion as to what I should look at checking next? I can upload videos or pictures if that helps.

I followed a youtube tutorial to check the infamous worm gear. My drive (the one on the keyboard) seems to contain another chip and less capacitors than the one featured in the video if thats any help?

Many thanks

fd3d3732-c645-4380-8fef-250382eae153.jpg

1ec41ba8-e01f-4cab-b88b-be541ec3312a.jpg

Edited by abitofjohn1

Does the optical pickup move to the spindle and then move out slightly bobbing up and down? Have you cleaned the laser gently with isopropyl alcohol? 

Most likely a dying laser. Usually a good clean will improve things. The last option is to tweak the laser pot very slightly clockwise to strengthen the laser beam but this is only a temporary solution. It will need a laser replacement but these are rare and mostly used stock. The only sustainable option for FZ-1/10 3DO these days is an ODE. Mnemo makes these and there also is a new one in development. 

Not sure about the missing IC, there are 2 pcb revisions of the CD logic board, one for brush motors and one for brushless motors. I have both but I can’t remember if one doesn’t have the chip.

Thank you for the response. Yeah the drive appears to be working as expected, laser moves in and out and bobs up and down.

I did try cleaning the laser a little, not with isopropyl alcohol though, I shall order some and try that, If that doesn't work where can I find the laser pot? This is what the drive looks like (re-assembled).

Many Thanks!

01aa0e9f-a496-4e51-ac43-c78d71ff937c.jpg

I just used an AppleCD 300 Plus drive with the 3DO drive's board and disc tray to replace the entire drive mechanism in a 3DO FZ-1. The connectors of the controller board on the AppleCD 300 Plus I used match those of the 3DO board on the keyboard. There's a working unit on ebay for $22 plus shipping at the moment FWIW.

• Like 1

Thanks I might have to look into that, the cleaning didn't improve things any unfortunately, tested a few more times and now the cd has stopped spinning, not sure if the motor has given up or something has come loose while cleaning. I shall tear the cd rom down again and have a look. I'm in the UK, looks like AppleCD 300 Plus drive are somewhat more expensive ($119.99 roughly on ebay at the moment) , I shall keep a look out though for a cheaper one to come up.

9 minutes ago, abitofjohn1 said:

Thanks I might have to look into that, the cleaning didn't improve things any unfortunately, tested a few more times and now the cd has stopped spinning, not sure if the motor has given up or something has come loose while cleaning. I shall tear the cd rom down again and have a look. I'm in the UK, looks like AppleCD 300 Plus drive are somewhat more expensive ($119.99 roughly on ebay at the moment) , I shall keep a look out though for a cheaper one to come up.

I sent a link to one I found in a message, if they'll ship to the UK it looks pretty reasonable. You don't even need to remove the laser to use it, the drive itself is the same design aside from the controller board so it can be swapped in.