IGNORED

Gauging interest: Jaguar HDMI adapter

Doomy Doomer

2 hours ago, Doomy Doomer said:

Great info, thanks. I'd have to do testing to see if the DSP can power the JagLink and the Jag2HD at the same time without issue. Problem is, I don't own a JagLink or another Jag to test.

The JagLink doesn't need much, it's something like 20 mA from the 5V supply.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

It's very tempting, but I recently bought a Jag2Gen and if the picture quality is comparable, then I should probably pass.  I guess I'll wait to see the price and decide then.

If you're using a Jag2Gen through Scart/HD Retrovision cables into a scaler, this won't compete with that.

10 hours ago, tripled79 said:

Always great to hear about new options. I've already invested in Framemeister and euro SCART cables, etc. So I'm good. But still, it looks pretty slick even in "Jaguar red".

I love this "Jaguar Red" filament. I use it for my own Jaguar Cart covers and controller port cover.

10 hours ago, mario64 said:

Please add me to the list. 

If you want, you can sign up for the wait list on the product page: https://www.humblebazooka.com/product/jag2hd-atari-jaguar-hdmi-adapter/

Hey All. I've added some more info to the product page including a comparison video to Composite and a simple mouse over comparison. My capture cared tops out at 720p @ 60hz so the video isn't going to be sharp on high density displays but it gives you an idea of what to expect.

Lastly, I added a tentative price on there that is fairly solid unless my supply chain falls through for components or some other unforeseeable thing happens. Anyway, more info to come in the coming weeks. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2021 at 9:04 PM, Zerosquare said:

The JagLink doesn't need much, it's something like 20 mA from the 5V supply.

I'm looking into adding JagLink support. It looks like the original JagLink used a LT1181A Dual driver/receiver IC. I'm looking for an alternative IC. Do you happen to know what the data rate requirements are for JagLink games?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

These are still readily available in many variations. I was looking into it... for a friend before. For example:

DigiKey

Right but at those prices it's not very cost effective. I've found other RS232 ICs just they vary on data rate. I'd also probably go with a much smaller foot print that through hole if possible. 

Edited by Doomy Doomer

1 minute ago, cubanismo said:

There are SMT options in that link, but I take your point. They are pricey. I don't know enough about the parts or the system specs to suggest viable alternatives without doing some research.

However, if you do work this out, count me in as a customer for sure!

Gotcha sorry I didn't see the link. I was referring to the original through hole IC in the Jag link. 

Awesome! I'm trying to make as many people happy as possible while keeping prices as low as possible. 

1 hour ago, Doomy Doomer said:

I'm looking into adding JagLink support. It looks like the original JagLink used a LT1181A Dual driver/receiver IC. I'm looking for an alternative IC. Do you happen to know what the data rate requirements are for JagLink games?

Doom uses 9600 bps. I'm not aware of the baudrates used by Battlesphere and Aircars (I don't own those games), but I'd be very surprised if they even approached 100 kbps.

I don't remember any other JagLink compatible games.

So this smaller and much cheaper part should work just as well as the original:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/ST202ECDR/686406

If you want to be extra sure, compare the detailed specs for both.

EDIT: changed part number. The new one is cheaper in small quantities.

EDIT 2: yet another change (ST232 -> ST202). Uses the same capacitor values as the original.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Doom uses 9600 bps. I'm not aware of the baudrates used by Battlesphere and Aircars (I don't own those games), but I'd be very surprised if they even approached 100 kbps.

I don't remember any other JagLink compatible games.

So this smaller and much cheaper part should work just as well as the original:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/stmicroelectronics/ST202ECDR/686406

If you want to be extra sure, compare the detailed specs for both.

EDIT: changed part number. The new one is cheaper in small quantities.

EDIT 2: yet another change (ST232 -> ST202). Uses the same capacitor values as the original.

All great info, thanks. 

8 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

By the way:

So it is important to offer a way to disable the Jaglink part, otherwise GameDrive users won't be able to use your product. Putting an on/off switch in series with signal UART_RXD (pin 3B on the DSP connector) should be enough.

I had read this would be a problem for GD users. I'll look into a way of disabling the JagLink portion with a simple switch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...