IGNORED

Giana Sister's W.I.P

Beeblebrox

47 minutes ago, solo/ng said:

One is a big custom SDK with new auto linker, auto data manager, auto relocator, auto .car creator, and even a new assembler - all for the sake of faster A8 production.

Interesting. Is this something that will eventually be released to the public?

• Like 1

Wow. So impressive. Really looking forward to see a playable demo. 

Thinking about the ST version that did not even have scrolling. So I am more than proud to see such a game on the XL / XE. Flickering or not. The C64 was much later on the market. So no wrong shame here. 

thanks and kudos to New Generation!!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, twh/f2 said:

Wow. So impressive. Really looking forward to see a playable demo. 

Thinking about the ST version that did not even have scrolling. So I am more than proud to see such a game on the XL / XE. Flickering or not. The C64 was much later on the market. So no wrong shame here. 

thanks and kudos to New Generation!!!

Yeah ST was a shock when I have seen that version in 90s

I'd be very interested to see ( @TIX :-D ) how the Giana sister's transformation animation will look.

If you look at the C64 version, (in video 0.18 seconds in), it's pretty cool: 

Before:

image.png.15a651e89a0d5bf4da86668801af75c7.png

During:

image.png.400ed0061c3a198126b7082a289a6803.png

After:

image.png.7466c62cb75080b7a8993543842ae604.png

Apologies for the poor quality (quick screen dump/cut'n'paste job off the YouTube vids)

:-D

Another epic title, looking good !

Lets hope the faster A8 CPU can add some speed because I found Giana’s slow movement and jumps too annoying on the C64 compared to Mario…..

I care much less about any flicker…..

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Level42 said:

Another epic title, looking good !

Lets hope the faster A8 CPU can add some speed because I found Giana’s slow movement and jumps too annoying on the C64 compared to Mario…..

I care much less about any flicker…..

I agree - slow moving jumping on these types of platformer gets frustrating very quickly a kills the fluidity of the gameplay. I just watched 3 mins of the C64 video and it does look a little held back by it. 

Certainly Crownland is a bit more lively:

As is this fast paced tiles based PAL blending mode proof of concept engine which I came across here on AA a few months back from nearly 10 years ago, (which I really wished had become the basis engine for a platformer as it looks amazing!)

Last known XEX's here btw

and this even faster tiles based PAL blended SMB prototype from the same thread, here, with it's super chunky but nevertheless very speedy Mario style protagonist:

Honestly it never ceases to amaze me the talent and ingenuity of the coders on the A8 scene and regulars on this forum! :grin:

Different genre of platformer I know but playing games like Flob where the speed is very exhilerating has spolit me a little too, (as has PoP on setting 3 min redraw).:-D

To borrow from the Flob teaser topic thread, check the speed out on this run by zbyti:

Edited by Beeblebrox
adding more info
  • Like 2

I for one stand behind 100% original Giana gameplay, since it was and is loved by most and may be just different than Mario :)

Changing one puzzle, would simply affect whole gameplay and it wouldn't be the same game anymore. Btw. Amiga and C64 versions feel exactly the same gameplay and speed-wise.

Maybe Giana is just not for everyone ;-)

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

I remember the fuss when it was released for the C64 on tape and ripped off the shelves straight away because of the lawsuit....

I got a tape before they went but it was one of hundreds that ended up in the skip because no one wanted all those original tapes and I had to move..

Good fun game too, better than Mario? ...For me Nintendo had the edge, good clone tho..

Giana Sisters isn't CPU limited, that's how the game play is meant to be. R-Type probably had more activity on screen, and it scrolled far faster than Giana Sisters.

To increase the scrolling speed would detract from the actual gameplay IMO.

It's interesting, I always wondered why the main character sprite would flicker when playing Crownland (which is a great game BTW), I thought it was just me playing like crap but noticed that I didn't loose a life when it happened. Now I know that I still play like crap, but the flickering is quite normal. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, José Pereira said:

Not important but just for you all see...

The complete game levels maps I know it for years:

376486435_giana_sisters_gamemap.thumb.png.8513436ba459a4a3ebf575525b3ca108.png

But never tried and because of the now wip decided to 'google' and find all chars and sprites:

73215.png.368e60da96f6854c6028f3223bb057d3.png

73225.thumb.png.5d14ee6dc4586a5b63f08a04bf54109d.png

73214.png.32105d31f01b0e8e808d833316453bc6.png

73800.png.4b566f1718125e6facaa7b4afa0c87cd.png

?

Played it back but not till end but looking at the sprite sheet not many in total...

7 minutes ago, Level42 said:

It's not so much the scrolling, it's the slow jumping....

But yes, I just checked other versions and it seems it's the way they wanted it to be.... 

I've played it on the Amiga 500 and the jumping speed is the same, sort of 'floaty'. I haven't tried it on the Amiga 1200, but that's running a 68030 at 40Mhz with 128MB of overclocked fast ram, so it may not be a fair comparison.

Edited by Mazzspeed

Turbo cards (fortunately) make no difference for  Amiga version, the game is still FPS-locked and runs as it should (compared to A500).

Btw. for few years there is quite nice "redux" version of Giana for Amiga available (Special Edition):

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

I don't have anything against seeing Giana Sisters on the A8; it's a decent enough scrolling platformer that has some interest/following. Ultimately, it's a quirky little clone of SMB that misses a lot of the elements that made the original appealing.

I never got into the NES so Gianna Sisters was my first experience (in fact I don't think I've played SMB to any great extent).

Being used to it, SMB just didn't look quite right to me.  Gianna to me has a better overall look to it, though I generally find NES games to have a bit of a cheap and rushed look to them.

I'd welcome a good conversion, in fact probably preferably to SMB.

• Like 3

Please do not change anything you are doing Solo/NG & The New Generation Crew as your work speaks for itself, the gameplay and look will be entirely as you see it. I have no doubt it will have the look and feel it should with a decidedly Atari New Generation touch!

No worry about what anyone thinks of this or that version, simply the best of everything wrapped up in all the love an Atari coding crew cares to do!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

I always think that the best option is to ask for something switchable. 

For example, floaty or more realistic physics which is an option on the menu, with floaty being default, to keep tradionalists happy.

If the authors don't want to do it or can't do it, I concede straight away, but I have asked.