IGNORED

Cruisn' Blast for Switch...

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed this game got a 10 dollar discount.  It's not 29.99 at best buy and gamestop.  I just happened to be on the gamestop page when I saw this..    I bought the original Xbox One on craigslist a month ago for 140 and this weekend I traded it into gamestop for 150!  I was shocked how much in trade they gave.  I looked it up and it said 100 or 110 for pro members and I was totally fine with that, but when she rang up 150 for store credit was so happy.  The receipt said 50 dollar trade in bonus!   I bought an Xbox one X on craigslist for a good deal last week and i'm so happy with my purchase..  First time playing games in 4k!  Not totally blown away, but 60fps in forza horizon 4 is soooo nice.  anyway, sorry for the ranty tangent.    I still want this game though, but refuse to buy a switch.

Okay.  I need some help getting my last key.

The last one I have left is on Neon Tsunami, the 'middle' key which is:

Just after the train the road splits. The left path runs lower and up to a jump. 

The key appears to be on the right side of that jump very high up, but I just can't get it.

When I get right, I don't have the height.  When I get the height, I can't get far enough right. And I can't get it from the high path(?)

Here's a video of me trying (should start ~38:32).  HALP!

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reaperman said:

Okay.  I need some help getting my last key.

Just after the train the road splits. The left path runs lower and up to a jump. 

The key appears to be on the right side of that jump very high up, but I just can't get it.

When I get right, I don't have the height.  When I get the height, I can't get far enough right. And I can't get it from the high path(?)

Here's a video of me trying (should start ~38:32).  HALP!

I wish I could be more help because I think it was dumb luck I got the key when I was racing against my wife.  I used a Lvl 5 Humvee for mine.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reaperman said:

I had trouble with that one too... I found a video of someone getting it on YouTube (the only video he made about the game actually) but it didn't help that much. The difficulty is to avoid going too much to the right because you will rebound on an invisible wall. Use one of your boosts before the jump and aim slightly to the right but not too much. When you'll get it you'll probably have the impression you missed it again. ;)

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I had trouble with that one too... I found a video of someone getting it on YouTube (the only video he made about the game actually) but it didn't help that much. The difficulty is to avoid going too much to the right because you will rebound on an invisible wall. Use one of your boosts before the jump and aim slightly to the right but not too much. When you'll get it you'll probably have the impression you missed it again. ;)

Woohoo, that was the ticket! Every key grabbed.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go and grind enough races to attach neon lights to a unicorn.

...A unicorn that the game won't allow me to paint chromed-orange, for whatever reason.

What's with all these sudden restrictions, game?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

How is the difficulty level on this game?  Can one play every track at least from the beginning without having to progress in any way?  How hard would this game be for someone who only had one hand? (i have two hands, but play video games like i only have one).?

In Normal difficulty, it's quite easy. Some tracks are quite short and it can be difficult to finish first if your car is not leveled up, but:

- you can restart a race at any time (including when it's finished) if you're not happy with the outcome, without restarting the whole "cup"

- you'll get the gold trophy even if you were first on two races and second on the other two, for instance

I tried the Hard difficulty a little, but my favorite car is not good enough it seems... At first I played with the Hummer because it has good acceleration (which is better for me because I suck at driving games), and at level 5 (the maximum level) it's almost completely maxed out. I probably should have sticked with this one, but I still found it hard for me. But you don't need to beat other difficulties to unlock every vehicle anyway.

3 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

In Normal difficulty, it's quite easy. Some tracks are quite short and it can be difficult to finish first if your car is not leveled up, but:

- you can restart a race at any time (including when it's finished) if you're not happy with the outcome, without restarting the whole "cup"

- you'll get the gold trophy even if you were first on two races and second on the other two, for instance

I tried the Hard difficulty a little, but my favorite car is not good enough it seems... At first I played with the Hummer because it has good acceleration (which is better for me because I suck at driving games), and at level 5 (the maximum level) it's almost completely maxed out. I probably should have sticked with this one, but I still found it hard for me. But you don't need to beat other difficulties to unlock every vehicle anyway.

That's good to know.  I have no desire to finish Hard or Extreme if it doesn't get me anything. lol

• Like 1

I mostly enjoy Cruisn Blast, but it's probably the "most arcade" racing game I ever played. Races are short, and a noticeable amount of each race (let's say 10 to 20%) are just fancy displays of "wild stuff happening" with very little control. I haven't played a racer before where you could only properly steer and drift in short bursts.

I will still get all the keys, but I hope this game doesn't start a trend.

What is slightly ridiculous is that most of the background animations are linked to your movement, so for instance a passing train will stop derailing if you brake to a halt. ? But what's more awkward is if you make some jumps at a very low speed (which I did when trying to find some keys), you may land on invisible ground...

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2021 at 8:58 AM, Mr_Horizon said:

I mostly enjoy Cruisn Blast, but it's probably the "most arcade" racing game I ever played. Races are short, and a noticeable amount of each race (let's say 10 to 20%) are just fancy displays of "wild stuff happening" with very little control. I haven't played a racer before where you could only properly steer and drift in short bursts.

I will still get all the keys, but I hope this game doesn't start a trend.

Oh absolutely, it has the depth of a puddle and it certainly isn't something I'll be coming back to in 30+ years as I do with Out Run.

It's a flashy roller-coaster and once I'm done with Extreme I probably won't touch it again, but for the lower price, I've certainly had my money's worth.

• Like 2

What's also ridiculous is that I don't even own it still, and at this rate I'm not sure I was meant to.  I know it's a weird comment, but it's like it's locally evading me.  Walmart carries it, but none of them carry it here and just pretend it doesn't exist so I can't get that deal.  Tried various other spots like Target and Gamestop and they either didn't have a spot for it or were out.  Then over the weekend I was driving by a game xchange...meh, and wow they had the box on the shelf as it came in, and was at the lower at $30...great!  Grabbed it and another cheap one I used to have, an hour later I walk out empty because either they lost it or an employee either sold it leaving the price or gave themselves a five finger discount.  At this point I'm now going between Metroid and FF5 Advance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Someone who has this game and a switch and lives in NYC, meet up with me somewhere in public.  I really want to just try this out.  i'll trade you something game-related for your trouble! 

;) Translation:

"Yo, Nerd. Come to the alley behind the Burger Shack on 4th with your video game, and come alone. I just want to hold onto it for a second."

Edited by Reaperman
  • Haha 5

Maybe since it has been made hard for me to buy the thing locally, which I can NOT figure out as this isn't some 1 traffic light town by any means, maybe I should just middle finger the developer for making it unreasonably difficult and buy it used.  I do want to play it, still like the old N64 Cruis'n USA, and this looks rewarding since you get the cash and unlocks just from driving largely so it adds some odd measure of depth, which these games don't have.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:44 AM, Tanooki said:

Maybe since it has been made hard for me to buy the thing locally, which I can NOT figure out as this isn't some 1 traffic light town by any means, maybe I should just middle finger the developer for making it unreasonably difficult and buy it used.

You can buy it online, dingbat. It's only your fault you wasted so much time looking for it locally, sheesh. Fault the publisher, not the developer for limited local availability.

The game is everywhere now in my area. Hard to get initially, but it's around now, at least for us. Hopefully that becomes the case for other markets.

This enthusiastic thread reminded me that I need to get back into this game, I love this style of game. Having everything digital on my switch sometimes means things get lost “below the fold.” $40 seemed steep at first but since the arcade game is so expensive to play, and this has more content, I was able to justify the spend. 

The arcade-style racers from Midway didn’t get much love outside of N64 ports. I might be alone in wanting this, but I’m hoping Nintendo Switch Online brings them to the expansion pack. Cruis’n USA, World, Exotica, California Speed, SF Rush, Rush 2, SFR2049, and Hydro Thunder would be fun to play again. Without hauling out my cartridges or pretending that REKT or Riptide are close enough. Maybe Warner will get some of that Expansion Pack money. 

Awesome videos @Shaggy the Atarian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

This enthusiastic thread reminded me that I need to get back into this game, I love this style of game. Having everything digital on my switch sometimes means things get lost “below the fold.” $40 seemed steep at first but since the arcade game is so expensive to play, and this has more content, I was able to justify the spend. 

The arcade-style racers from Midway didn’t get much love outside of N64 ports. I might be alone in wanting this, but I’m hoping Nintendo Switch Online brings them to the expansion pack. Cruis’n USA, World, Exotica, California Speed, SF Rush, Rush 2, SFR2049, and Hydro Thunder would be fun to play again. Without hauling out my cartridges or pretending that REKT or Riptide are close enough. Maybe Warner will get some of that Expansion Pack money. 

Awesome videos @Shaggy the Atarian

Your not the only one wanting re-releases and/or (better) remasters of the Midway racers.  Definitely lots of fun was had with those titles back in the day and more of them would be a great thing imo.