IGNORED

Display List Help

You don't have to store your display list in RAM since it's not changing. You could point to your ROM code and save that RAM for something else. Actually I would recommend doing that.

If you did it this way your code would look like...

code:

lda #&ltdlist

sta SDLSTL

lda #>dlist

sta SDLSTH

dlist2

.byte $70,$70,$70

.byte $42,$00,$10,$02

.byte $41

.word dlist2

SDLSTL and SDLSTH are just pointers that I declare at the top right?

Can you explain this a bit more, I think I'm starting to see the light. What book are you using to learn all of this? I was just using Arcade and Game design book I got off of AtariArchives.org, but it sounds like there's a better book out there.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

SDLSTL and SDLSTH are just pointers that I declare at the top right?

I am using the equates.txt that Alan posted earlier. SDLSTL and SDLSTH are $05 and $06 respectively on the 5200.

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Can you explain this a bit more, I think I'm starting to see the light. What book are you using to learn all of this? I was just using Arcade and Game design book I got off of AtariArchives.org, but it sounds like there's a better book out there.

Sure...what's happening here is the location for your display list in ROM is moved to the shadow registers. This is basically what you are doing when you are storing it RAM. There is really no need to store your display list in RAM if it's not changing.

Those pointers are correct...keeping it in rom memory is OK.

In your previous post you were confusing the dlist address with the screen address (which you were starting at $1800...not $1000). Starting the screen at $1000 will keep the screen from exceeding it's 4k boundry.