IGNORED

New owner of an Android box. What should I expect?

xabin

Thanks to a kind person on here, I'll be getting their old X96 Mini android box in the mail. It's my first of this kind of device ever, and I'm wanting to know what to expect with it. Questions that immediately come to mind:

1. What controllers would be compatible with it?

2. What game emulators would be best for it?

3. Can I use some or all of the Android games I have on GooglePlay on it, without incident?

4. Since it's an android box, can I get access to Android apps and games that a tablet or smartphone wouldn't have access to?

Considering I was the one who gave it to you, let me tell you my general experience with it. 

First off, I was using EmuELEC with it. This works well enough and gives a pleasant front end, but I ran into one core issue... There's a significant input lag on it. 

It's enough that I traded it out for a Raspberry Pi. It works well enough for RPGs or anything that doesn't require precision timing, but anything like platforming or requires timing won't work well. It emulates quite a bit and up to PS1, but I was seeing quite a bit of frame skips for PS1. 

That being said... I can answer some of the questions you had. 

18 hours ago, xabin said:

1. What controllers would be compatible with it?

2. What game emulators would be best for it?

3. Can I use some or all of the Android games I have on GooglePlay on it, without incident?

4. Since it's an android box, can I get access to Android apps and games that a tablet or smartphone wouldn't have access to?

1. Seems like any wired/wireless USB controller should work fine, but I had significant lag when using either wired or wireless.

2. I am unable to name any specific emulators as I only used EmuELEC.

3./4. I didn't try any Android games, but it does have access to the market. 

Ah. Maybe it's the emulator you used that's part of the problem? I've been looking at various reviews of it on amazon, and they do say that it's quite fiddly, but once you get it calibrated alright, it should work very well, so I'm going to try a few emulators from GooglePlay on it, to see what works. Thanks.