IGNORED

Grizzards — turn-based RPG (completed)

3 minutes ago, brpocock@star-hope.org said:

Hmm. They're definitely more difficult than some of the other monsters.

I've been working a lot on trying to make the difficulty curve appropriate, so maybe it's just not “fair” enough yet, particularly since in the No-save demo you can't switch back to a previous Grizzard. (There just literally isn't enough memory on the '2600 to store a second Grizzard's stats, much less several…)

I'm redoing the combat core today to try to make things feel more fair, based on playtest feedback from yesterday and yourself just now.

It should be possible to complete the demo quest without killing every monster, but they should not be one-hitting you quite so easily.

i thought the problem was with my HP MAX never leveling up. I already had a common cure, which could cure my HP by something like 14, but my MAX could only go up to 10 anyway, so it was a bit of a waste. I was starting the fight against two pandas and had my 10HP, registered a hit on one of them for 2, but then on their first turn fire panda just killed me instantly. it happened multiple times as i was resuming - same with a doggo. that surely means their hit ability is higher than 10, so it looked like i couldnt have done anything to defend myself.

but maybe i am just missing a trick?

I think one thing I'm going to do is make it — just in the NoSave build — so that if you catch a Grizzard with a lower stat than your current one, it'll magically gain that level, since you can't switch back to the earlier (possibly more powerful) Grizzard at the Depot.

The new combat core is about ½ ready, there's a new bug that sometimes magically promotes a monster to being a boss that I need to work out.

I have sent you a message with some more thoughts.

Other than that just wanted to say it's a really great game, I love the visuals (is there space to add some female characters, they were always big part of pokemon franchise), and the exploration element, all the different locations and characters. Surprised it doesn't get more recognition, just pure concept of 'how would Pokemon look if it was developed 15 years earlier' is exciting enough! Hopefully as the occasional bugs get eliminated and the game gets polished it will become more popular.

I will closely follow the development, may not have time to spend too many hours to playtest, but will try to give it few hours from time to time!

1 hour ago, mika said:

I have sent you a message with some more thoughts.

Other than that just wanted to say it's a really great game, I love the visuals (is there space to add some female characters, they were always big part of pokemon franchise), and the exploration element, all the different locations and characters. Surprised it doesn't get more recognition, just pure concept of 'how would Pokemon look if it was developed 15 years earlier' is exciting enough! Hopefully as the occasional bugs get eliminated and the game gets polished it will become more popular.

I will closely follow the development, may not have time to spend too many hours to playtest, but will try to give it few hours from time to time!

Thanks so much!

As far as female characters … there are both male and female NPC's, however the graphic on the map is the same for both, so you have to interpret by their names (eg Sue is probably female) unless you have an AtariVox and a good ear … there is an attempt at having a lower pitch voice for male characters and a higher pitch for female characters, but the voices are still pretty similar after all.

The new combat core (which is really just an internal refactoring to clean up duplicated logic) and some tweaks to monster stats are now in the dailies, which should make the demo a bit more fun.

Also, in the no-save demo, if you catch a new Grizzard with a lower stat (attack, defend, max HP) than your current Grizzard, they'll magically level up to match, since you can't actually switch back (in no-save).

To be honest, I'm mostly playtesting the full game and had not realized that eg. the Vorpal Bunnies were very good at one-hitting you, so @mika's feedback was invaluable in pointing me at those problems. I'm planning to spend some more time running through the demo and no-save builds, perhaps tonight, to ensure that there aren't any more hidden problems with playing them to completion.

If you're interested, check out the daily builds or the changes will be in the next release as well.

Just for fun, here's a bit of a highlight reel (basically spoiler-free) from the full game build … it shows off a few things that couldn't fit into the demo, like multicolor monsters, picking your starting Grizzard, and potions. The flicker is kinda awful on YouTube, it looks a lot nicer locally — I may have to futz with phosphor settings for the screen recording. Next time I'll also try to hook up the AtariVox/Stelladaptor/loopback audio for the full chatterbox effect.

• Like 2

Just a thought after watching the video above.

always a matter of personal preference, but I actually like the flat colour monsters from demo version more - they look more stylish and give a good design vibe.

Multicolour gradient in my opinion doesn’t fit the style of the screen and is bit inconsistent with the look of the game.

Otherwise sprites are fantastic, my favourites are Vorpal bunny and Lacoste grizzard, but also like the grizzard handler.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We haven't been idle! We've been hard at work with new music, new graphics, new “cut scenes” (I use that term quite loosely) and a lot of work on “leveling” the game to make it more fair.

And … this Friday, the Beta version of the full game will première!

I'll be posting an update here Friday night. Thanks, all!

• Like 4

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the Exclusive WIP Update of Grizzards on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 1

Tonight @ZeroPage Homebrew has premiered the beta version of the full game of Grizzards. Thanks to all the ZPH crew for their time! And thanks to everyone in the forums who have been so supportive and helpful.

The new version of the web site should also be live now, but here's what you really wanted: new binaries! and new manuals to go with them. Let's also thank @Prizrak who has been doing an amazing job uploading these ROM files to the PlusCart PlusStore. I'm sure they'll have the latest binaries in the PlusStore in no time. (EDIT: They are!) Just for the PlusStore there's also this super-brief manual: Grizzards.Manual.txt

There are a tonne of binaries here, so here's the break-down:

For each ROM, there's a matching manual. The contents do differ depending on your version, so make sure you grab the manual that matches your ROM.

Have fun all!

Edited by Bruce-Robert Pocock
PlusStore update
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Mini-spoilers: This post contains some spoilers about the first 10-20% of the game, most of which are revealed in the demo and in the ZPH broadcast. I've taken some care to hide spoilers about the last 30-50% of the game.

For the record, here are the improvements from the previous version.

• First public release of the "full game."
  • Added interiors to houses in Anchor village
  • Fixed debounce of Pause on '7800
  • Decimal number displays can show 3-digit numbers now
  • Monsters in title sequence reflect early-game monsters and have correct colors
  • Leveling work on areas from Treble Village (Anchor, Spiral Woods, Tunnel Complex, Lost Mine, Fire Bog)
  • Implemented Left Difficulty Switch on combat
  • Dark caves in Province 0 (Tunnel Complex)
  • Fixed bug in scores > 9,999
  • Fixed bug in Critical Hits
  • Fixed bug in DrawMonsterGroup showing wrong monsters
  • New Game Plus support
  • Learn moves by general XP (as well as by observing them)
  • Cursor position misaligned in column 3 (of CombatMainScreen) (again)
  • Finish animation for boss (16×16) monsters
  • Fixed colorization of all monsters
  • HMOVE errors on CombatMainScreen
  • Completed the bestiary
  • assigned correct Moves to all Monsters
  • assigned monsters to areas by Tier
  • monsters assigned to Port Lion
  • monsters assigned to Lost Mine
  • monsters partially assigned to (secret area last ⅓ of the game)
  • Grizzards art and colors finalized
  • Updated manual with monster art
  • Added Radish Goblin and Turnip Goblin by Zephyi
  • General rewrite of the manual for terseness
  • Colorized all monsters (line-by-line colors)
  • Compressed dialogue ROM usage in “speech” banks
  • Music added for Port Lion
  • Metamorphosēs assigned for those Grizzards which can do so
  • Final music for first area (Treble, Anchor, et al)
  • Fixed sprites refusing to exist “spawning” (“poof of smoke”) mode
  • Scanline error on “Your Grizzard is Killed” going to “Game Over”
  • (end bosses before the final boss) names were not spoken aloud (said “monster”)
  • Starts should evolve at least once before traveling to Port Lion under normal game play (if you stick with them)
  • Per-line coloring (highlighting) for Grizzards
  • Sprites were teleporting on screens with no random-placement spawns
  • Intermittent scanline count error on Run Away
  • No “chirp” moving to/from Aquax in Grizzard Chooser (new game)
  • Show number of Grizzards caught in “you won” screen
  • Waterline animations (Port Lion beaches south/north)
  • Music encoder now chooses best AUDC voice for fidelity
  • Map screen instability (scanline count) on SECAM
  • AtariVox goes “blip” on AtariAge/initials screen (still can occur)
  • Glitch at bottom of Airex screen (title / Grizzard Chooser)
  • Added missing / updated existing screenshots in manual
  • Make saving more obvious in manual
  • Fix on finding a mirror
  • Assigned “reasonable” point scores to all monsters
  • Full health bar was missing part of top scanline
  • Ball (as a wall) extended above the map area a scanline or two
  • “Cut scene” animation for the entrance to the area after Port Lion
  • Display Grizzard “ID numbers” in the Depot
  • Hint on how to navigate the Lost Mine
  • Monsters materializing in walls
  • Pronunciation of “Cure/Sure” sounded like “kooyer/shooyer”
  • Scanline counts: CombatMainScreen
  • Dirtex moves were too weak
  • Weaseling past monsters could get stuck in wall near Lost Mine
  • NoSave: When catching a Grizzard, its stats will be boosted to at least those of your previous (current) Grizzard
  • New combat core logic
  • Increased height of HP bar
  • Announce Critical Hits on kills
  • When a Grizzard metamorphoses the old form would stay selected (with 0 max HP) if you died before saving
  • Support for multi-color monsters in all forms (small, large/boss, extra large/final boss)

And, the following are (most of) the differences between the NoSave and Demo versions and the full game. Almost all of these are due to space constraints.

• Demo has only part of the world, from Treble to the Tunnel Complex, excluding the Lost Mine and Sprial Woods.
  • Some NPC and other interactions are cut (eg. one of the guys on the very first screen)
  • Once you open the tunnels to Anchor, there is no further progress possible. (The tunnels don't actually “open,” it just tells you you've finished the demo.)
  • NoSave: Can't save.
  • Only Aquax is available as a starter. Limited title sequence and no Grizzard Chooser as a result.
  • Entering your name is a bit jankier.
  • Works on (original, non-Encore) Harmony cartridge
  • Demo saves to “scratchpad” area of AtariVox/SaveKey memory, and may be overwritten by other demos or test programs.
  • Demo save games are not transferable to the full game. (slightly different “file” format)
  • No potions
  • No confirmation when erasing a saved game slot
  • No ability to “un-erase” a saved game slot
  • When a Grizzard metamorphoses, it says “CAUGHT (new Grizzard)” rather than “(old Grizzard) BECAME (new Grizzard)”
  • Monsters appear in monochrome
  • “Boss” monsters are just upscaled version of the regular (8×8px) monster graphics. (In the full game, bosses have distinct 16×16px graphics, and the final boss has a distinct 48×42px animation set.)
  • Like 1

Daily build updated … two changes:

• Bug Fix: The “T” in “LOST MINE” on the road past Mt Peshon was showing up like a Greek Pi instead
  • Enhancement: During a combat encounter, your last selected move will be once again selected when it's your turn again. (I found 2 unused bytes of RAM in the combat mode… one of which is now “LastPlayerCombatMove”)

I don't usually post about dailies, but the latter one was something James mentioned on @ZeroPage Homebrew and I was kinda thrilled to find that I do have the RAM to implement it after all. (… and 18 bytes of ROM and 1 byte of RAM left for combat, remarkably.)

In other news:

It might be possible to fix up the NoSave version to have a very simple password continue feature, but it looks like the password would be something like 36 characters long — 6 × 6. Given that completing the demo takes around an hour or two, is it worthwhile to add a password continue like that? Put another way, would anyone really write down and then re-enter using the joystick a 36-character password for a relatively short game?

(For the full game it would have to be more like a 320 character password, so I'm not even pondering pursuing that one.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bruce-Robert Pocock said:

It might be possible to fix up the NoSave version to have a very simple password continue feature, but it looks like the password would be something like 36 characters long — 6 × 6

Would it actually be 72 hex digits for 36 bytes of save data, or 36 hex digits for 18 bytes? Or would you use something other than hex digits?

I know I determined that it wouldn't be worth it for Penult, since I was looking at 60-70 hex digits for all of the save data. Your players can make use of the save data via the emulator, or get a $15 SaveKey, so if it were me I'd save that ROM space for something else.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Would it actually be 72 hex digits for 36 bytes of save data, or 36 hex digits for 18 bytes? Or would you use something other than hex digits?

I know I determined that it wouldn't be worth it for Penult, since I was looking at 60-70 hex digits for all of the save data.

I'm looking at that as base-32 (5b/ch, 0-9A-X kind of coding), thus 36 chars ⇒ 180 bits of save data. It might be possible to squeeze it a little bit more, but that's already pretty “tight” — it's actually about 27B (216b) of data being represented.

I use 6b/ch encoding but the font actually only has around 40 chars, so 32 is the next nice power-of-two. I kinda thought about doing some funky base-36 thing, but that would be a lot of math to scrape off 1-2 chars at the end, max.

Your players can make use of the save data via the emulator, or get a $15 SaveKey, so if it were me I'd save that ROM space for something else.

True …

The “free space” is some map areas that are not reachable in the demo, which gives me 618B of ROM. I probably won't re-use it for anything else in the demo, at this point.

16 hours ago, Bruce-Robert Pocock said:
  • Enhancement: During a combat encounter, your last selected move will be once again selected when it's your turn again. (I found 2 unused bytes of RAM in the combat mode… one of which is now “LastPlayerCombatMove”)

I don't usually post about dailies, but the latter one was something James mentioned on @ZeroPage Homebrew and I was kinda thrilled to find that I do have the RAM to implement it after all. (… and 18 bytes of ROM and 1 byte of RAM left for combat, remarkably.)

Great update! Thank you for finding those 2 bytes. ?

- James

• Like 1

I just got a Joy2b+ control pad today, and there seems to be some bugs with handling it properly in the game. I've opened a ticket https://github.com/brpocock/grizzards/issues/422 to track fixing it.

I've already eliminated the hardware — Test Cart confirms everything is working properly. I suspect my “debounce” code is somehow at fault, but it works fine on Genesis (MegaDrive) controllers. We shall see …

22 minutes ago, Bruce-Robert Pocock said:

I just got a Joy2b+ control pad today, and there seems to be some bugs with handling it properly in the game.

Huh. The documentation seems to imply that the two button support for the 2600 would be the same as the Genesis controller support. Is the issue with the second button specifically? Have you tried the new controller with any other genesis-supporting homebrew, apart from just the test cart?

Are you dumping paddle caps to ground every frame?

• Like 1

Just now, Karl G said:

Huh. The documentation seems to imply that the two button support for the 2600 would be the same as the Genesis controller support.

It would definitely seem to be. Button II — the same as button C — is tied to INPT0, button III to INPT1, and I'm simply testing for the high bit to be clear = button down.

Just now, Karl G said:

Is the issue with the second button specifically?

My button scan routine combines the two buttons into one byte, and seems to be failing to debounce them correctly and “crossing signals.” I'm experimenting to figure out the pattern precisely, but it seems like:

Button I works until you press button II, and button II registers as a press once when it goes down and a second time when it comes back up (so the stats screen stays up only as long as you hold it down) … and then … button I doesn't work properly after that. I'm thinking the debounce value is getting corrupted at some point and staying corrupted.

I'm fixing to try plugging the score into the button registers or something to try to watch it.

Just now, Karl G said:

Have you tried the new controller with any other genesis-supporting homebrew, apart from just the test cart?

The only other one I can lay hands on immediately was 1942, which seemed to work (flip the plane) in a whole 30 seconds of testing.

Just now, Karl G said:

Good thought, I have not been doing so … maybe the pull-ups in the Joy2b+ are just different enough …

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

1 hour ago, Bruce-Robert Pocock said:

Good thought, I have not been doing so … maybe the pull-ups in the Joy2b+ are just different enough …

Tried this as well. Strangely, button I acts like button II and button II does nothing. Ditto for the Genesis controller — B acts like C, and C does nothing.

Definitely will be trying some visual feedback for the DebounceButtons & NewButtons locations on-hardware tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Bruce-Robert Pocock said:

Tried this as well. Strangely, button I acts like button II and button II does nothing. Ditto for the Genesis controller — B acts like C, and C does nothing.

Definitely will be trying some visual feedback for the DebounceButtons & NewButtons locations on-hardware tomorrow.

If your 2-button controller works with 1942 (/Public ROMs/WIP/0-G/1942 bB/), you should check @RevEng's post about vblank and paddle discharge here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

If your 2-button controller works with 1942 (/Public ROMs/WIP/0-G/1942 bB/), you should check @RevEng's post about vblank and paddle discharge here:

If I don't find something tonight with the "score debugger" build I'll dig in farther, but generally I've been enabling VBLANK with just bit 2 (enabled) and no other bits (to ground INPT0123 or latch INPT45).

I just (before work here) tried a quick test with bit 6 (latch INPT4/5) as well, as in the first example there. With the latch enabled I'm seeing similar behavior as without: Genesis working, but Joy2b+ not registering the buttons properly. I wonder what is the value that bB resets the VBLANK to, and when, but I imagine that will require a dive into the assembly code on the bB engine itself.

I'm lying the blame on the VBlank work code for input debouncing being wrong, so I've gutted and rewritten it a bit and am playing with the maths. I'm thinking to hex dump the three bytes: DebounceButtons, current value of buttons in Temp here, and NewButtons (and just disable their actions in the main map screen for now) to see if the values are significantly different than what I get in Stella. The goal is that: if a button is pressed now, but was not pressed last frame, then it should have a 0 bit in NewButtons (at least $80=FIRE/B/I and $40=C/II, and maybe $20=III if it works out conveniently, although I don't really need button III for Grizzards.).

That all will have to wait until this evening, though, most likely.

Since GitHub is down'ish, I got a minute to try and dump debugging values to the score, and I'm finding:

Button I = B = FIRE = $80 is registering once, and then staying "pinned down." Button II = C =$40 is registering only whilst pressed, as is Button III = $20.

Weirdly, unplugging the game pad, I see it stay the same, but when I plug it back in, it immediately resets to $00 and stays there until I press button I again, and then stay pinned at $80. (INPT4 seems to be strangely pinned at $0c precisely.)

The Genesis pad reacts as expected to both B and C buttons (momentarily whilst pressed).

It's gotta be something in my VBlank / input code. Will review that code more later.

BtW, thanks @Al_Nafuur the PlusCart has definitely made this development cycle faster!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce-Robert Pocock said:

INPT4 seems to be strangely pinned at $0c precisely.

duh. it occurred to me later. Since only the high bit is set, the lower 6 bits are left floating and $0c is the address for INPT4 which was left on the data bus from fetching the operand.

I took the liberty of looking into 1942's GitHub repository and I see that it just "peeks" at the joystick register at arbitrary times in the code using the BASIC joy0fire keyword, which translates to a bit INPT4 presumably followed by a bmi/bpl, so I'm just gonna completely rewrite the VBlank routine to use bit in stead of lda / and #$80 and see if it magically makes things better.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bruce-Robert Pocock said:

duh. it occurred to me later. Since only the high bit is set, the lower 6 bits are left floating and $0c is the address for INPT4 which was left on the data bus from fetching the operand.

I took the liberty of looking into 1942's GitHub repository and I see that it just "peeks" at the joystick register at arbitrary times in the code using the BASIC joy0fire keyword, which translates to a bit INPT4 presumably followed by a bmi/bpl, so I'm just gonna completely rewrite the VBlank routine to use bit in stead of lda / and #$80 and see if it magically makes things better.

https://github.com/Al-Nafuur/PlusROM-Hacks/blob/main/bBasic/1942/1942 HSC.bas#L1389

if !joy0fire then _skip_new_shot

compiles to:

bit INPT4
 bmi ._skip_new_shot

for the second button (looping)

https://github.com/Al-Nafuur/PlusROM-Hacks/blob/main/bBasic/1942/1942 HSC.bas#L1369

if _Bit4_genesispad{4} && !INPT1{7} then goto set_game_state_looping

compile to:

LDA _Bit4_genesispad
	AND #16
	BEQ .skipL0512
.condpart56
	BIT INPT1
	BMI .skip56then
.condpart57
	jmp .set_game_state_looping

.skip56then
.skipL0512

"_Bit4_genesispad" is a ZP RAM variable and bit 4 is set at startup when the genesis controller is detected (https://github.com/Al-Nafuur/PlusROM-Hacks/blob/main/bBasic/1942/1942 HSC.bas#L644 ) :

if INPT1{7} then _Bit4_genesispad{4} = 1

compiled:

BIT INPT1
	BPL .skipL0400
.condpart1
	LDA _Bit4_genesispad
	ORA #16
	STA _Bit4_genesispad
.skipL0400

Thanks for the assembly version, @Al_Nafuur. That's about what I thought it compiled into …

I actually read the joystick once in VBlank.s and then make use of it all over the code, rather than reading it directly (and debouncing it) all over the place. (As you might imagine, there are a lot of different “kernel” loops for the 35-40 different screens in the game.)

Ignoring some conditional-compilation bits … the bulk of DetectGenesis.s does a full frame dumping the paddle caps, followed by

lda INPT0
          bpl NotGenesis

lda INPT1
          bpl NotGenesis

lda SWCHB
          ora #SWCHBP0Genesis
          gne DoneGenesis

NotGenesis:
          lda SWCHB
          and #~SWCHBP0Genesis
DoneGenesis:
          sta SWCHB

… where SWCHBP0Genesis is defined as $10, and SWCHB is already configured to allow that as a flag bit. (Yeah, I ran out of places to store things in RAM.)

This part seems to have been working all right for quite a while.

The relevant part of VBlank.s, without some conditional-assembly noise, now reads as follows on my local branch

lda SWCHB
          and #SWCHBP0Genesis
          beq NotGenesis

tya                 ; Y = 0
          bit INPT0
          bmi DoneButtonIII

lda #ButtonIII      ; $20
DoneButtonIII:
          bit INPT1
          bmi DoneButtonII

ora #ButtonII       ; $40
DoneButtonII:
NotGenesis:
          ;; A is now either 0 (no Genesis) or possibly some permutation of (ButtonII, ButtonIII)
          bit INPT4
          bmi DoneButtonI

ora #ButtonI        ; $80
DoneButtonI:
          ;; A is now a permutation of (ButtonI, ButtonII, ButtonIII) i.e. $00-$e0
          sta NewButtons
          sta Score + 1        ; XXX

ldx DebounceButtons  ; XXX
          stx Score + 2        ; XXX

cmp DebounceButtons  ; buttons down bits are ones here too
          bne ButtonsChanged

ButtonsSame:
          sty NewButtons       ; Y = 0
          sty Score            ; XXX
          jmp DoneButtons

ButtonsChanged:
          sta DebounceButtons
          eor #ButtonI | ButtonII | ButtonIII | 1
          sta NewButtons       ; buttons down are now 0 bits, $01 indicates new information
          sta Score            ; XXX

The rest of the game's code generally just references NewButtons from that point.

The write to Score is barely visible as a flicker for only one frame, but it is visually detectable that something happened … except that nothing happens on hardware with a Joy2b+ gamepad button I after the first press. Works fine with CX-40 and (original, 3-button) Genesis controllers and in Stella configured for either of those.

Over the week-end I'm fixing to keep beating my head against the above code because it seems entirely responsible for the issue, if I could only think of why or how. I'm sure it's something utterly silly that I'm just not seeing. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

OK, I feel better a little bit.

It works fine on the 2600. I'd been testing on my 7800 with the nifty S/Video mod and assuming that it was 100% compatible (with the quirk of the Pause button, of course). It's not

The above code just worked fine on a 4-switch Vader with composite output. The fire button (button I) however “sticks” on the 7800.