IGNORED

Foxit - in progress

GDMike

For reference here is MAP when you decide what it needs to do up front rather than computing stuff in the code.

\ "CMAP"  brings pages of code into the window called CSEG
\ The SAMS register is pre-calculated as constant CREG 
CODE CMAP ( bank# -- )   \ ** bank# must be in low byte of R4
  020C , 1E00 , \  R12 1E00 LI,
  1D00 ,        \  0 SBO,             \ turn on the card
  C804 , CREG , \  TOS CREG @@ MOV,   \ store bank# in SAMS register
  1E00 ,        \  0 SBZ,             \ turn off card
  C136 ,        \  DROP               \ refill top of stack register
  NEXT,
ENDCODE

• Like 2

My victory regarding Foxit saving a user file was short lived.

Seems that all is well in CL99 but on TIpi + TI hardware I get a lockup while inside BLWP @DSRLNK.

of course my file WILL save as DSK4.TEST  on classic 99.

I'll have to fudge around with the"TIpi" name and count and see if I can straighten it out even though I'm entering DSk4 and not TIpi.

And DSk4 is mapped in TIpi. I gotta figure out what's going on.

Edited by GDMike

I'm trying to narrow down my issue with the file saving to Classic 99 BUT not saving using TIpi.

SNP saves to both with never having trouble.

I'll have 12 hours starting at 6pm at my off property center starting tonight, with another 12 to spend tomorrow.

Edited by GDMike

On 9/30/2021 at 9:46 PM, GDMike said:

My victory regarding Foxit saving a user file was short lived.

Seems that all is well in CL99 but on TIpi + TI hardware I get a lockup while inside BLWP @DSRLNK.

of course my file WILL save as DSK4.TEST  on classic 99.

I'll have to fudge around with the"TIpi" name and count and see if I can straighten it out even though I'm entering DSk4 and not TIpi.

And DSk4 is mapped in TIpi. I gotta figure out what's going on.

When testing file system access, once it is working with the Classic99 DSR, remember to switch to a TI Controller and test that it still works there. 99.9% of DSR issues can be resolved that way. The Classic99 DSR is not the TI DSR, and there are idiosyncrasies to both.

Since there are 10 drives in Classic99, for test purposes you can leave DSK2 or DSK3 always as a TI controller and just use the other 9 drives as the more flexible versions. :)

• Like 3

Thank you for that information Mike. Good to know. Apparently I don't know how to change a controller in CL99, as I've usually just left things alone in it and just use it. Maybe that's something I need to look into.

I'm using my filing code from SNP that does work across both, CL99 and my controller less TIpi PEB, and here I'm trying to just write a file out and I see that on real hw that the TIpi light is solid at lockup time.

And Ive pointed the lockup happens at dsrlnk call.

I'm trying to go over my code bit by bit to see if anything is astray..so maybe the question is, and Ive thought about this, and I bet it does work, but adding a TI controller to my peb.,

(SNP works without one.. but will adding a controller break SNP)? I doubt it. But Wednesday that is what I'm gonna have to try out. 

But in the meantime, I only have CL99 to code with while I'm out of town for the next couple days, and without a peb I'm stuck in the middle..

So in the meantime I'll just code some other interesting things while I wait, of course, after verification of my existing DSR calls.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Thank you for that information Mike. Good to know. Apparently I don't know how to change a controller in CL99, as I've usually just left things alone in it and just use it. Maybe that's something I need to look into.

If you want to change DSK2 in Classic99 to use the TI Controller, you will need to first insure you have a DSK image containing all the files you need. Then, on the Classic99 menu, choose “Disk”-->“DSK2”-->(top option) to open the necessary dialog box. Next, set the Disk Type to “TI Controller (DSK)” and Path  to the appropriate DSK image.

...lee

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Well, it's easier than debugging on hardware. You have full access to the debugger.

Lee is correct - same place that you change the paths:

image.thumb.png.4fa8795cdb3a90752bd4abb9ecd88e7a.png

Also, you're Mike. I'm Tursi. ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

If you want to change DSK2 in Classic99 to use the TI Controller, you will need to first insure you have a DSK image containing all the files you need. Then, on the Classic99 menu, choose “Disk”-->“DSK2”-->(top option) to open the necessary dialog box. Next, set the Disk Type to “TI Controller (DSK)” and Path  to the appropriate DSK image.

...lee

Hmm.. maybe I don't have the latest CL99, didn't think it mattered so much, but maybe it does.

Created my own problem I suppose.

Thank you Lee..

I'll look for the latest version.

IMG_20211002_200859814.jpg

I'm not able to DL anything at this point, but I'll get it done Tuesday. Thanks for that pointer.

But all in all it looks like I'll have to add a controller to my PEB and possibly break SNP.

But this does give me time to do some cleaning and organizing with what I do have working.

• Like 2

One of the things I took care of today was all my command words that are entered and how they're entered in the command window.

I originally had everything left justified that when you entered the command it wouldn't be understood if it was spaced by one or more characters from the left border.

I mean it had to be exactly on the left position or else the command wasn't recognized.

So I was able to take care of all of that and now you have up to five character spaces that are checked for the command and it's correct spelling.

I already knew this had to be done as I was just trying to get the commands to all work first and then I was going to go back and clean up like I did today. 

I know some people say, "well why didn't you take care of it firstly", And that is because sometimes I come up with other ideas and I can slam them all together while I'm on my second bout.

Which leads me to the other question asked, "why didn't you figure it out during your initial planning"..my answer... planning?

Hmm. I plan on dinner at some point, but I haven't a clue what to make. But I'm sure it'll be just ok. SoupR salad.

That's just me... I'm more comfortable this way.

But it has to work for sure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Hmm.. maybe I don't have the latest CL99, didn't think it mattered so much, but maybe it does.

Created my own problem I suppose.

Thank you Lee..

I'll look for the latest version.

IMG_20211002_200859814.jpg

It's been that way for about 3 years now, not sure how out of date you are.

Also, as you know from hardware, the TI Disk Controller only recognizes DSK1, DSK2 and DSK3, so it won't work on DSK4 as in your screenshot :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tursi said:

Also, as you know from hardware, the TI Disk Controller only recognizes DSK1, DSK2 and DSK3, so it won't work on DSK4 as in your screenshot :)

Ahh. Ok  yeah I see that. But I'm not aiming my program for a ti controller, but more for mapped drives under TIpi. But I see your point about using and setting a ti disk controller, thanks.

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Ahh. Ok  yeah I see that. But I'm not aiming my program for a ti controller, but more for mapped drives under TIpi. But I see your point about using and setting a ti disk controller, thanks.

The point is that the TI disk controller is the baseline, and the Classic99 DSR, while it reproduces many things from that controller, does not reproduce everything because the TI controller is far more limiting.

If it works there, it's much more likely to work everywhere. You've likely just failed to set something up.

Also, did you check the debug log? Classic99 gives you a lot of information there when you call the disk DSR incorrectly. It may well just be telling you why it doesn't work on hardware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

The point is that the TI disk controller is the baseline, and the Classic99 DSR, while it reproduces many things from that controller, does not reproduce everything because the TI controller is far more limiting.

If it works there, it's much more likely to work everywhere. You've likely just failed to set something up.

Also, did you check the debug log? Classic99 gives you a lot of information there when you call the disk DSR incorrectly. It may well just be telling you why it doesn't work on hardware.

I've managed to DL a recent CL99 and will fire it up against my code and setting a controller and we'll see what happens.

I've yet to, test on real hw lately to see how my code works with the latest changes, that happens on Tuesday unless I find a break in between with other chores. Thanks for the insight.

I'm not really looking at the log because my code works on the older cl99. But if it breaks here tonight, I'll have a peek, like watching prey from the distance,I'll just watch things a bit.

In the middle of some other coding rt now that doesn't Include filing, but I'll inch that way tonight. Like always, thank you so much.

• Like 1

Actually, I'm not going, or at least, I'm trying to avoid using a controller and instead I'm sticking to a "FIAD" type of filing for testing. I think I misconstrued my last message a bit. In order for TIpi to allow my file above DSk4, I've got to use this method. And it works nicely in SNP and TIpi without me having to throw in a controller and limiting myself to the 3 drives of the TI controller.

Setting up the TI Controller affects only the DSK that you configure it on. The other 9 drives can still be normal Classic99 drives (whether image or fiad).

If you're writing code, start using the debug window. That's what it's there for. Advanced weaponry for hitting tiny targets! ;)

But as long as it's working little else matters. It just frustrates me when people keep posting "it works in Classic99 but not on hardware" because I have literally invested hundreds of hours in helping to make that not be the case. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

Setting up the TI Controller affects only the DSK that you configure it on. The other 9 drives can still be normal Classic99 drives (whether image or fiad).

If you're writing code, start using the debug window. That's what it's there for. Advanced weaponry for hitting tiny targets! ;)

But as long as it's working little else matters. It just frustrates me when people keep posting "it works in Classic99 but not on hardware" because I have literally invested hundreds of hours in helping to make that not be the case. ;)

I'm just doing what I can at the time that I'm away from my house and TI PEB. So that means Classic 99 time for all I can get done in the moment. Then I'll retest on my hardware another more convenient time. I really need to get aquatinted with the debugger, I suppose when I have a hard bug I'll be learning it. 

Thank you.

File read accomplished tonight. 

So far, I can write and read the same file on Classic 99. I get an error as expected while Trying to load a file that doesn't exist. Great

This is the command Called "USE" + Path+ Filename, as in.

CREA DSK1.BIKES which creates a skeleton

DBF file.

And the command.

USE DSK1.BIKES sets the data file loaded and placed into SAMS as available, readable data.

IMG_20211004_013636385.jpg

• Like 2

FWIW, disk image emulation in Classic99 is not stable earlier than 399.027, there's some VDP timing issues through 399.032, there was another CPU bug found and fixed in 399.034, major improvements to memory handling and system timing in 399.037... TIPI wasn't added till 399.039 (so I'm not clear how you're testing with it...), video improvements through 399.046, proper speech in 399.051 - a few things worth having.

But at the very least I would discourage writing to disk images under 399.020. You could corrupt the image.

• Like 2