IGNORED

trs80gp emulator questions

sm3

Hi, I've been trying out trs80gp lately since the previous emulator I use TRS32 seems to not be updated any longer. I love the "authentic display mode" George has created in trs80gp and also the fact it runs on my PC and Mac.

I have a questions or maybe just verification what I'm doing is correct.

I have a real Model 4 non-gate array version. I've copied the ROM from it that I've been using with TRS32. My Model 4 has 128 K of RAM and I have the new Ian Mavric graphics board installed.

I'm starting trs80gp with a shortcut from the desktop and using these options:

trs80gp.exe -m4 -rom model4.rom -gg -mem 128 -d0 ld4-631.dsk 

Does this look right to match my real Model 4? 

What exactly does this mean (2 wait states per instruction)? 

-m4 Emulate Model 4 (same as -m4a)
-m4a Emulate Model 4 with 2 wait states per instruction

Have no clue if that mimics my non-gate array Model 4 or not. Even though my Model 4 is not a gate array version, it does have the green screen and the newer keyboard.

I'm using an LS-DOS disk I download from the Tim Mann sight and modified for the date by TRS-Tools. I like to match on my emulators the real configs of the computers I'm using if possible. 

I know George the creator of trs80gp posts here, but if anyone else has knowledge of trs80gp please feel free to comment.

Thanks for your time.

The built in LS-DOS image (-ld) will be equivalent.  It has the latest date patches.  I'd imagine the ROM is identical, too.  But I can understand wanting to be explicitly the same.

The Model 4 Z-80 was effectively slower when it first came out due to the wait states.  It's hard to pin down exactly how much as it made instructions 2 T-States (or cycles) longer.  Z-80 instructions can be anywhere from 4 to 23 T-States long.  If we assume an average of 8 T-States then a later Model 4 with no wait states will be 1.25 times faster.

Pretty hard to notice in most operations.  You could time a long FOR/NEXT loop on your Model 4 and see which of the -m4[abc] setups comes closest to that time.

Or you could run trsvid (http://48k.ca/trsvid.html) which will report your CPU as slow/medium/fast for -m4a, -m4b and -m4c respectively.  It will run without a FreHD.  In fact, all it will do is print out the machine report.

18 minutes ago, George Phillips said:

The built in LS-DOS image (-ld) will be equivalent.  It has the latest date patches.  I'd imagine the ROM is identical, too.  But I can understand wanting to be explicitly the same.

The Model 4 Z-80 was effectively slower when it first came out due to the wait states.  It's hard to pin down exactly how much as it made instructions 2 T-States (or cycles) longer.  Z-80 instructions can be anywhere from 4 to 23 T-States long.  If we assume an average of 8 T-States then a later Model 4 with no wait states will be 1.25 times faster.

Pretty hard to notice in most operations.  You could time a long FOR/NEXT loop on your Model 4 and see which of the -m4[abc] setups comes closest to that time.

Or you could run trsvid (http://48k.ca/trsvid.html) which will report your CPU as slow/medium/fast for -m4a, -m4b and -m4c respectively.  It will run without a FreHD.  In fact, all it will do is print out the machine report.

Hi George, OK thanks! That -ld uses the date and time from the host PC I guess instead of having to type it in each time you boot.

What exactly is that "sysgen" doing on boot? When I use -ld it also does 4 drives, which obviously I don't have on my real Model 4.

I think I'll stick with my disk for now with it even though there is a couple of extra steps needed to get it to boot, but that's the way it is on my real Model 4.

23 hours ago, George Phillips said:

Thanks George, I will try trsvid and see what it shows me.

1 hour ago, Texas Tandy restorations said:

just type system (sysgen=off) and it will go away :) but you can load any DSK/DMK/IMG/HFE disk image you may have with TRS80G which is nice when you do work like I do of copying original diskettes to Goteks to conserve them so it permits easy testing.

Thanks for the reply, but seems maybe the built-in LS-DOS disk can't be modified. That's OK though, I have the one I use as listed in my initial post.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:08 PM, George Phillips said:

George, OK, I managed to get trsvid/cmd loaded on my M3SE and it shows CPU: medium.

Does that mean I use -m4b? I think the choices are a b c?