IGNORED

7800 Repairman

flickertail

While my 7800 works, the video out on it is loose, so it is static-y from time to time until I push it back into place. Probably not a long term solution. I'm sure it's about ready to fall off.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a trusted person who fixes such things. I am not all that handy with a soldering iron, so I'd prefer not to fix it myself.

I've looked locally and there is a guy in town here who fixes game consoles, and while he fixes 2600's he won't work on my 7800 since he's not familiar with them.

Any advice on the matter is appreciated.

Sounds like the RF out RCA jack had the solder joint crack. It is a pretty easy fix for anyone with a soldering iron. Your local repair guy should be able to fix it since it is not 7800 specific.

Mitch

If the RF modulator itself is simply loose from the PCB, that’s an easy fix. If the RCA jack connection to the PCB *inside* the RF modulator is loose, that’s also a simple repair but you have to first remove the modulator, disassemble it, touch up the PCB connections, then reassemble the RF modulator and re-attach it to the 7800.  At this point, having taken the RF can off the board, it’s probably just as easy to do a composite mod or, better yet, put in a UAV for S-video and composite output. I have done UAV mods to my 7800, 5200, 2600 and a bunch of A8 systems. Far better output than RF.

@-^CrossBow^- has done a ton of these for other folks and might have thoughts.

• Like 2

As the good @DrVenkman stated. If the RCA jack from the RF modulator is what has come loose, then yes, you remove the RF modulator. That allows you to open up the RF box as the lid for it is on the bottom of the modulator. Once there, you can verify that the center RF signal wire is still attached well. If that is loose and broken loose also, then you apply a dab of solder to the wire to reattach it together or add in some additional thick gauge wire if you need more. On the RCA jacks, you clean the jack with alcohol all around it (Inside too might as well). Rough up the metal at the base of the RCA jacks where it meets up with the rest of the RF modulator housing box. Then on high heat, you use a soldering iron and keep feeding it solder all around the jack until you have a nice even bead of it smooth around the base. I've done a few of these in the past and it really brings me back to my stained glass window making when I was in my preteen days!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

As the good @DrVenkman stated. If the RCA jack from the RF modulator is what has come loose, then yes, you remove the RF modulator. That allows you to open up the RF box as the lid for it is on the bottom of the modulator. Once there, you can verify that the center RF signal wire is still attached well. If that is loose and broken loose also, then you apply a dab of solder to the wire to reattach it together or add in some additional thick gauge wire if you need more. On the RCA jacks, you clean the jack with alcohol all around it (Inside too might as well). Rough up the metal at the base of the RCA jacks where it meets up with the rest of the RF modulator housing box. Then on high heat, you use a soldering iron and keep feeding it solder all around the jack until you have a nice even bead of it smooth around the base. I've done a few of these in the past and it really brings me back to my stained glass window making when I was in my preteen days!

This, plus use Flux.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Qlways nice to see when I run into an issue with an Atari, that someone (even recently) has left instructions on how to fix it.  I have the exact same issue on this mine, the RCA jack just seems loose.  Fortunately I qm decent at soldering, so now I have a reason to huff the solder fumes!