IGNORED

Apple IIc (PAL) RGB adapter

YannAros

Some news about the Apple 2e version, cards from the first very small batch are being spread out at the moment and there are good and less good news:

- The card is working on NTSC machines (PN 0820-068-B)

- The card is also working on PAL machines with PN 0820-073-A and 0820-073-B

- However, a user has no picture coming out from a PAL Apple 2e with PN 0820-188-A, I'm investigating this trying to find the root cause and a solution for it.

This delays a bit the manufacturing of news cards, I let you now about the debugging progress

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I’m taking a small break for Christmas at the moment.

We found another issue in DHGR mode, there is crosstalk between signals on the board leading to random black pixels displayed on columns every 7 pixels.F9B8F198-7AAE-44AD-A546-7B734C822CFC.thumb.jpeg.58d6a5928c9ac23eff99dd31b38d43b5.jpeg

I can get rid of those just by touching the card at a given spot:

B5EDA9D5-1EE8-406E-A7B6-17A24C7867D7.thumb.jpeg.7b81ac33506ac40d040e2b21d9b4945e.jpegCC1955A5-302C-4960-99F5-629448ECE33C.thumb.jpeg.4fa958b7bc9132e74079d4f5fa27bd27.jpeg

I need to identify better the signal(s) causing the issue and rework the layout and/or add some filtering.

• Like 1

hi @YannAros,

impressive work here!

a couple of (noob) questions:

regarding the IIc board, could it be possible to output the signal to some more up-to-date plugs / destinations? 

I am trying to adapt an LCD panel to a IIc / IIc+ and it has composite, vga and HDMI input... any chance to get there without other steps? I have a similar card and I managed to get an hdmi signal using a scart-to-hdmi box, but I would really like to skip that step or have it integrated somewhere... somehow possible?

regarding the IIe board: I don't want to over complicate things, but I remember there was an expansion card (RAMworks?) which IIRC offered rgb out AND 1Meg RAM expansion... maybe moving in that direction could also be interesting? :D 

On 12/16/2021 at 7:33 AM, YannAros said:

It is not to VGA but to a SCART input. It doesn’t modify the horizontal frequency that remains 15kHz. You need a 15kHz RGB input on your monitor or an additional rgb to hdmi converter.

The main goal is to get couloir output from PAL Apple IIc that are not generating a proper PAL composite signal for the chroma part.

On 12/16/2021 at 4:48 PM, Baldrick said:

If it outputs 15 kHz then I can use a GBS8200 to up-convert it to VGA.  

The trick is to get the initial high quality RGB out of the IIc.

Definitely still interested.

@YannAros I missed the previous posts where this was already discussed, I am sorry. I will have a look at GBS8200 cards. @Baldrick did you manage to look into it already?

Thanks @YannAros, I was reading about it just yesterday.

I actually have a spare Pi Zero which I am using to run RetroPie, and could be used for this... but I will need the 12bit shield, and the TTL extension if I understand correctly. They don't seem to sell them now, and I don't feel confident in building everything from scratch. I will wait and keep an eye on the shop page ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I've managed to solve the "crawling black dots" issue.

A simple pull-up on the GR input got it working, the signal is quite low and accesses to the 64kB additional memory was creating noise on the GR signal.

This in turn induced a CLEAR of the 74HC173 used to sample and hold pixels.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've ordered new boards for Apple 2c and 2e versions including all corrections and improvments indentified with the first prototypes.

I'll contact people that showed interest when I will have received and finalised parts.

It might take 2 or 3 more months to be ready.

Edited by YannAros

10 hours ago, YannAros said:

I've ordered new boards for Apple 2c and 2e versions including all corrections and improvments indentified with the first prototypes.

I'll contact people that showed interest when I will have received and finalised parts.

It might take 2 or 3 more months to be ready.

I didn't realize you were building the //c version as well. It seemed like based on your posts since you open sourced it, you weren't really building them.

You already have me down for the NTSC IIe version. If you have a spare NTSC //c version available, I'd be interested in that as well. If not, no big deal. 

29 minutes ago, potatohead said:

Where are the files for building your own?

I do want to buy a //e board from you, and want to check out the design, maybe make another one just to learn stuff.

The IIe board has not been open sourced yet. At least no links have been given in this thread so far for it. The link to the IIc board is below from earlier in the thread.

Looking at all the projects associated to him on OSHW Lab, I don't see the IIe board listed. Just the IIc board and some 2600 and Intellivision video mods.

https://oshwlab.com/yannick.erb/apple-iic-to-rgb_copy

• 1 month later...