IGNORED

New World Beta Bricking Graphics Cards

Ah, here's a suggested fix: This quick fix helps avoid Amazon New World’s GPU-killing fiasco (msn.com)

In New World, press the Escape key to open the Settings menu.

Click the Visuals tab.

Under Max FPS, cap the FPS at 60.

Players are reporting that capping the FPS is successfully preventing their graphics cards from overheating. It seems that the reason why New Worlds is putting GPUs at risk is because the menus don't have built-in FPS caps like other games do, causing elite graphics cards like the RTX 3090 to render the menus in 9000+ FPS and burn themselves out.

• Like 1

A graphics card should never ever ever be manufactured with inadequate cooling. The onus is on Nvidia & EVGA to redesign it so that it operates in specification. Since this appears to be EVGA cards that are failing - I wonder if they're overclocked? HAAHAHAH!!

DO NOT BLAME AMAZON!

..or should you? Before these blow-ups I knew nothing of this game. Today I know its an MMORPG. Maybe they put some code in there to blow up the cards. Make some noise in the news. Get some press.. As you all know. Any press is good press. More eyes on the game, more purchases. And the 3090 crowd is small and self-proclaimed elite. So it's not like its widespread carnage or anything. Nvidia will replace them under warranty. So no real loss other than potential ragequits with PC gaming.

Then again why does a simple text menu need to be rendered at, what, 9000 FPS?? And why is the chip allowed to freewheel into thermal overload?

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pacman000 said:

How does this happen?

By default understand that no hardware should burn-out under any circumstances, no matter what the software is doing. A graphics card should sit there all day long rendering and drawing and doing what the software asks, without blowing up.

If it fails that means something is out of specification or there is a design problem. And since this is a gamerz card it will be running right up against specification and pushing beyond limits. Because. Gamerz. And marketing encourages that because $$$.

On the otherhand a chip shouldn't burn up because it's rendering a menu too fast. Even 9,000 FPS, which is the issue here. A properly designed chip will throttle itself and reduce speed and power till thermals are under control.

As is typical of gamerz, word has it that the cards that blew up had restrictions and limits disabled, to get more in-game FPS. Overclocking!! Bwahahahaha!!!

Can't wait for the youtube videos to start on this one!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keatah said:

Then again why does a simple text menu need to be rendered at, what, 9000 FPS?? And why is the chip allowed to freewheel into thermal overload?

I think they just don't bother to frame-lock menus sometimes.   I've seen other games cause the fans to turn on on the menu screen.

5 hours ago, zzip said:

I think they just don't bother to frame-lock menus sometimes.   I've seen other games cause the fans to turn on on the menu screen.

Frame-locking menus shouldn't even have to be a thing. Either the software should render it in traditional and correct 2D, or the GPU should be smart enough to limit itself as required. And what happened to the thermal protection? And was it the GPU chip itself that blew out, or was it the cheap voltage regulation circuitry?

TRIVIA: Emulator Stella had a very similar problem. Though it didn't blow up any parts. It would consume 100% CPU power when in the cartridge/rom selection menu. Then drop down to 60% or "normal" during gameplay. This on a dotcom era system.