IGNORED

Roms are loaded but do not start and appears red screen

On 7/22/2021 at 1:24 AM, hyrulebr said:

Hi  I didn't have time to setup mine. But I hope it's just software related. Does the jaguar SD require a bios to run? 

Anything purchased in about the last 4 months comes preinstalled and ready to run.

• Like 1

I'm also having the same issue as teclas1983 with a new JagGD I just got in the mail today. Loaded the firmware, shows all the folders and roms. Select a rom and it hangs at the red Jaguar screen as posted in the OP. The Menu before selecting a game works just fine, I can move around in it and a navigate folders, can't launch a game without freezing on the red Jaguar.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:21 PM, Three3Fitty said:

I'm also having the same issue as teclas1983 with a new JagGD I just got in the mail today. Loaded the firmware, shows all the folders and roms. Select a rom and it hangs at the red Jaguar screen as posted in the OP. The Menu before selecting a game works just fine, I can move around in it and a navigate folders, can't launch a game without freezing on the red Jaguar.

There a set of games floating around at places we cannot mention.  If the collection is named "Complete JagGD Atari Jaguar GameDrive Compatible Cartridge ROMSet With MRQ Files", the ROMs are known to be working.

Also, since this is not a commercial release and is known to be working, you can try this really cool Jeff Minter demo and see if it loads for you.

EDIT:
Apologies, I posted a non-working file.  This is what I meant to post.

Yakbig DEMO (1993).j64

While I do have "Complete JagGD...rom set" as @Stephen mentions, and everything loads and works from it. I have also downloaded .jag, .j64, .abs, .rom files off of sites on the net (because the complete rom set for the GD really isn't complete as we all know, I've got the DOOM II hacks AC2011 and AC98, Phase Zero demo, and other games not on the GD compatible set I downloaded that work fine) and they have all worked except the ST ports listed in the pinned topic on this forum that are skunk.rom made for the skunkboard about half have worked on the GD like R-Type, Moonpatrol, Guantlet II, IK+ and Joust. But with 1943, Bionic Commando, Dragonbreed, EFPOTRM, Flying Shark I get the Jaguar's "red screen of death" like others mention. Except for the one or two in that pinned thread that say for GD and Skunk, like R-Type, and they do load and work.

I was going to run the ST skunk.rom images through Jiffi v1.42 and output them in a different format like .jag and .j64 or whatever and see if I could get them to work that way. Otherwise I guess I'll just have to keep loading them up two at a time on my Skunkboard...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Interesting timing - I literally just copied the 14 ST ports over to my SD card this morning.  Haven't had time to try them yet, as I spent a few hours cutting down a well overgrown lilac bush out back. Some of the trunks (stalks) were literally 5 inches wide.  Filled the bed of my 2004 Dakota three times getting it all down to the yard waste recycle facility.

• Like 1

Hi have updated to latest firmware and using romset suggested (even the minter j64 file).

when I load any ROM I get the red screen every time (does not say Jaguar), and it plays a kind of 'storm' sound.

Menu boots up fine not problem and other carts play fine.

Have tried the usual blowing/dislodging at different an angles, suspending the jag vertically a la dentist equipment, shoving bits of cardboard to tighten slot

what could it be! i'm using "Complete JagGD...rom set" 

6 hours ago, moving fields said:

Hi RetroHQ grateful if you can help with above post - I might have to send back to Stone Age Gamer if it is a bust cart - I don't have a second Jag to test.

If the console doesn't reboot properly (ie. to a Jaguar logo / red screen) it sounds like a faulty console somehow. Worth trying a return though, SAG will be able to test on their machines and let you know if it's the console or cart.

On 8/8/2021 at 12:38 AM, SainT said:

If the console doesn't reboot properly (ie. to a Jaguar logo / red screen) it sounds like a faulty console somehow. Worth trying a return though, SAG will be able to test on their machines and let you know if it's the console or cart.

That's interesting. All other games I have work though - is there any rom images that I can test to be sure?

30 minutes ago, moving fields said:

That's interesting. All other games I have work though - is there any rom images that I can test to be sure?

No, unfortunately the GameDrive uses several pins on the cartridge connector which no other cartridge uses and does things with no other cartridge does. The only device which will use the same sort of connections is the JagCD.

I've not heard of this issue before, but the only thing I can think is that there is something somehow faulty with the reset circuitry on the Jaguar causing perhaps the GPU to fail to reset correctly. The GPU is used to qualify the cart and also has the video display circuitry.

5 minutes ago, SainT said:

No, unfortunately the GameDrive uses several pins on the cartridge connector which no other cartridge uses and does things with no other cartridge does. The only device which will use the same sort of connections is the JagCD.

I've not heard of this issue before, but the only thing I can think is that there is something somehow faulty with the reset circuitry on the Jaguar causing perhaps the GPU to fail to reset correctly. The GPU is used to qualify the cart and also has the video display circuitry.

thanks trying to weigh in on the return - or hold out for another jaguar which seem to be increasingly harder to find !

Here is a video of  what I'm experiencing 

20 minutes ago, moving fields said:

thanks trying to weigh in on the return - or hold out for another jaguar which seem to be increasingly harder to find !

Here is a video of  what I'm experiencing 

Thanks for the video, always handy to see. Exactly as you described, and not expected behavior from the console after reset.

One last thing which is useful to try is to hold down PAUSE during booting the console with GD inserted, this will do a memory test. Or press * and # at the same time from the menu. This will just verify the console has no problem reading and writing to the memory used for the ROM's. I've not experienced or seen this particular issue, and I can't see how it could stem from a memory error, however the red screen is indicative of a memory error normally (however, with Jaguar logo!), so it's worth checking.

7 minutes ago, SainT said:

Thanks for the video, always handy to see. Exactly as you described, and not expected behavior from the console after reset.

One last thing which is useful to try is to hold down PAUSE during booting the console with GD inserted, this will do a memory test. Or press * and # at the same time from the menu. This will just verify the console has no problem reading and writing to the memory used for the ROM's. I've not experienced or seen this particular issue, and I can't see how it could stem from a memory error, however the red screen is indicative of a memory error normally (however, with Jaguar logo!), so it's worth checking.

thanks for the suggestion - when testing memory - it doesnt flag anything.

Does it appear to load the ROM successfully ? I haven tried other memory cards - not sure if this will make a difference

On 7/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, Stephen said:

There a set of games floating around at places we cannot mention.  If the collection is named "Complete JagGD Atari Jaguar GameDrive Compatible Cartridge ROMSet With MRQ Files", the ROMs are known to be working.

Also, since this is not a commercial release and is known to be working, you can try this really cool Jeff Minter demo and see if it loads for you.

EDIT:
Apologies, I posted a non-working file.  This is what I meant to post.

Yakbig DEMO (1993).j64 1 MB · 5 downloads

I've found the mentioned rom list. I was able to load most of the games just fine, but few games (around 10) such as Alien Vs Predator just loads to the red screen.

I ran the memory tests and no error. Jag CD games work mostly fine with the knowledge it's still beta.

Edited by Three3Fitty
adding more detail

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 7:21 PM, Three3Fitty said:

**RESOLVED**

Just to follow up for anyone looking at this issue in the future.

I had an issue where none of the 4meg cart games loaded. It resulted in a red Jaguar screen when selected from the menu. All other smaller games worked including larger cd games. Retail 4m games worked just fine. 

My issue was resolved with a replaced/swapped Gamedrive. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got the red Jaguar logo screen when I tried to start up Aliens vs Predator today.  I did the memory test (keeping the PAUSE button down when starting up Jaguar) and the GD didn't give me an error when testing.  My original Aliens vs Predator cartridge works every time I tested it today.  I tried to update the firmware to 1.11 but Game Drive wouldn't update it when I pressed the OPTION button.  I never had this problem updating to firmware 1.10.  Tried testing the free digital game roms from SAG that came with my purchase and those got the same red Jaguar logo screen.  The Jaguar Game Drive boots up and loads to the menu normally.  Looking to get this replaced at SAG since it's a 5 month after purchase.

jag2.jpg