IGNORED

Was not releasing with CD at launch the biggest mistake Atari made with the Jaguar?

Leeroy ST

2 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

Ok smartone show me where I can implement parallel graphical features or implement an MMC chip in a CD. I'll wait

As soon as you show me where I stated the opposite. I didn't even address that point, because it is both trivial and irrelevant.

Some of you just keep fooling yourselves your smarter than you

Some of us have been actually developing on the Jaguar for 10 to 20 years, and are tired of reading the same wrong arguments from people who don't know what they're talking about.

I made a simple statement, so easy to understand. I guess not for you.

You mean this confused, run-on sentence?

On 8/9/2021 at 4:04 AM, Leeroy ST said:

A CD drive is easier to implement than a reader that runs through rom to interface with customer chips since a CD just plays the CD and doesn't need to do that.

• Like 8

It's funny how the guy you quoted hot what I said, you then responded to HIS quote understanding that, but still said it was "nonsense".

Ok smartone show me where I can implement parallel graphical features or implement an MMC chip in a CD. I'll wait 

Some of you just keep fooling yourselves your smarter than you seem I made a simple statement, so easy to understand. I guess not for you.

It's not a straw man, you're acting like he started the current branch if the conversation, go back a few posts and get context.

Do you, by chance, work in a plastic factory with poor ventilation?

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gummy Bear said:

That just shows him to be a biased a-hole, pandering to what he perceives to be the popular 'pile-on' mentality. 

Well he is surely not unbiased in his judgements, often based on popular opinion and vague assumptions rather than solid knowledge. 

However, his retrospective video on Jaguar DOOM was very fair and profound. 

What is really shocking in that context is that he was visiting E Jagfest regularly and also was filming for a video about the Jag and it's community.

But I am pretty sure he has not contacted any active developer yet.;-) 

Edited by agradeneu

On 8/8/2021 at 11:38 PM, phoenixdownita said:

They made ~20K JagCD, maybe there's still what 75% around, so say 15K (maybe) .... I really don't see a market for JagCD shells, and I also see 100 people would swear right now they would buy one in trasparent-lilac if it was available just to prove me wrong

Does it count if one person promises to buy 100 ?

On 8/10/2021 at 3:57 PM, Zerosquare said:

Some of us have been actually developing on the Jaguar for 10 to 20 years, and are tired of reading the same wrong arguments from people who don't know what they're talking about.

You still diss me for a wrong argument yet my argument was about not being able to use a CD like a cart. It's not wrong you just want to pretend it us so you think your smart. Then instead of addressing the fact you're not smart you dodge by saying you didn't state the opposite.

Ok so am I wrong or is it true you can't use CDs in the way I stated, unlike cartridges? Use your head.

The only one confused is you by your inflated ego. As someone who has actually worked on a Jaguar game at at a company during the Jaguars shelf life, I dont need an indie armchair developer failing to attempt to talk down at me. That's if you're even that.

Edited by Leeroy ST

1 minute ago, agradeneu said:

Well he surely knows Tempest 2000, so that statement makes no sense at all.

No kidding. If there was one thing I think the Jag actually excelled at, it was in the realm of music. 

7 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

The only one confused is you by your inflated ego. As someone who has actually worked on a Jaguar game at at a company during the Jaguars shelf life, I dont need an indie armchair developer failing to attempt to talk down at me. That's if you're even that.

Stop with the pissing match. You're not the only developer here who worked on a Jag game professionally during its shelf life. There are plenty of devs in the Jag community who have overinflated egos, but Zerosquare is certainly not one of them. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

No kidding. If there was one thing I think the Jag actually excelled at, it was in the realm of music. 

Stop with the pissing match. You're not the only developer here who worked on a Jag game professionally during its shelf life. There are plenty of devs in the Jag community who have overinflated egos, but Zerosquare is certainly not one of them. 

Which Jaguar game he worked on?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Leeroy ST said:

You still diss me for a wrong argument yet my argument was about not being able to use a CD like a cart. It's not wrong you just want to pretend it us so you think your smart. Then instead of addressing the fact you're not smart you dodge by saying you didn't state the opposite.

Ok so am I wrong or is it true you can't use CDs in the way I stated, unlike cartridges? Use your head.

Could you reveal to us which game it was and if it was ever finished?

And what was the name of the game and the company?

Is there any other released game you worked on or participated? 

Actually most ppl around here know the work Zerosquare has done for the Jaguar. ;-)

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 5

That's With Bubsy

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

Well he surely knows Tempest 2000, so that statement makes no sense at all.

Well it depends if he actually(legitimately) didn't like the type of sountrack it was, or if he intentionally made that exagerrated statement because he wanted to trash the system and/or attract reads/views/clicks.

The latter wouldn't be a surprise. Happens quite often. Not so much now though as years ago but that's because you dont get as much attention trashing the Jaguar now after it was the the big thing to do for 10-15 years.

4 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

That's With Bubsy

Well it depends if he actually(legitimately) didn't like the type of sountrack it was, or if he intentionally made that exagerrated statement because he wanted to trash the system and/or attract reads/views/clicks.

The latter wouldn't be a surprise. Happens quite often. Not so much now though as years ago but that's because you dont get as much attention trashing the Jaguar now after it was the the big thing to do for 10-15 years.

May I ask you, what was your role in the making of Bubsy?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/jaguar/bubsy-in-fractured-furry-tales/credits

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

You still diss me for a wrong argument yet my argument was about not being able to use a CD like a cart.

No, I refuted your (confusingly written) argument that interfacing with a CD is easier than interfacing with a cartridge: it's the other way around. I didn't say anything about "using a CD is not like using a cart", because that's both obvious and irrelevant to the discussion. (Especially the part where you mentioned special chips in cartridges, since none of the commercially released Jaguar games include any in the first place.)

6 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

I dont need an indie armchair developer failing to attempt to talk down at me.

From my armchair, I've developed/been involved in several software and hardware projects since 2006, including an audio engine and a Flash cartridge that other homebrew developers have used to make Jaguar games. And I've been self-employed for the past ten years as an electronics designer and embedded software developer.

Go ahead, your turn. What exactly did you do on Bubsy?

• Like 9

I'd be interested to hear what role Leeroy ST had on Bubsy, as Andrew Seed's insights years ago on the game and the Jaguar hardware, made for fantastic reading and I hated Bubsy. 

If Leeroy was there at Imagitec Design during this period, did he see anything of Freelancer 2120 or Space Junk? 

Any Panther development? 

I think off the top of my head i have 'spoken' with in one form or another, around 15 ex-Imagitec Design staff. 

Lot of internal turmoil, so i could understand why he wished to remain anonymous, but some detail on his/her  role on the title would be most welcome 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

I'd be interested to hear what role Leeroy ST had on Bubsy, as Andrew Seed's insights years ago on the game and the Jaguar hardware, made for fantastic reading and I hated Bubsy. 

If Leeroy was there at Imagitec Design during this period, did he see anything of Freelancer 2120 or Space Junk? 

Any Panther development? 

I think off the top of my head i have 'spoken' with in one form or another, around 15 ex-Imagitec Design staff. 

Lot of internal turmoil, so i could understand why he wished to remain anonymous, but some detail on his/her  role on the title would be most welcome 

Don't hold your breath  ;-)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Don't hold your breath  ;-)

?

Been dealing with Estate Agents looking to sell Mum's estate over the past 3 days. 

Lots of talk from them fishing for information (yes, we have had several other independent valuations) and cards kept close to chests... 

So i have plenty of time... 

5 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Any Panther development? 

I dont know nothing about the panther (in regards to Bubsy fractured and imagitec) 

One thing little known about the game was the contracted Atari helping "support team" that wasn't credited, granted it's never credited in any game, made to support in programming for enemies and collision, and was part of a group that was supposed to help find ways to "increase" sprite quality out the Jaguar because they (the top) wanted a game of "exploration", and a cross between a indiana Jones and a Alice and wonderland feel, as it was described. With, "Disney animation and feel" with no real guidance.

Of course they had no clear goal and people were constantly pissed off with the just as constant changes, in fact the morons on top were so upset even thought they kept giving us less and less time, they told us eventually to pound sand and they had whoever they had left just throw the game together. There wasn't much quality control for collisions, this is apparent the further in the game you go but also right from the start, made worse by the bizarre idea to have one hit kills to encourage exploration and memorization. Any opposition to that was dismissed.

But the thing is Imagitec wasn't really the only issue here regarding Fractureds troubled development, but Atari was a problem as well with their handling of contractual staff on either end, as well as poor communication and bad tools. And Accolade well...

A key example, one associate contracted on the Atari "support" end contacted imagitec about the poor tools and information for the game, blaming the Jaguar limitations and suggesting the game should be moved to another platform.

Now I know some of you may quickly blame him for not knowing what was going on, but the truth is that's how bad the communication was. He didn't have a clue about why this game was being produced for the Jaguar platform exclusively.

As said before, the suggestions for mechanical changes were dismissed, including the characters moves. Eventually contractual support (Atari) was either entirely removed or were transferred to another game Atari supported.

One thing rarely mentioned was the creator of Bubsy, Michael Berlyn, he had come out in an interview with harsh words with how studios were handling his character. He was arguably the trigger that caused the game to become what it turned out to be (I never fully confirmed this but I was told he saw the ideas and demo for the game before the interview). Originally Bubsy Fractured was going to be a port until then.

It seemed like there was a clear attempt to "outdo" him by creating what was proposed as "the biggest mascot adventure yet" and I feel like that contributed to the lack of consistent vision. What's funny about this is from my information he had seen a demo and was aware of the ideas for Fractured, but In subsequent interviews he pretends Fractured doesn't exist, and you know it's intentional because he has referred to the game before, but in several Bubsy topic interviews he skips Fractured and places Bubsy 3D as "the next game" "the third game" or "Bubsy 3" constantly. He rarely if ever says there are 4 titles.

There was also an attempt to help create 3D bonus stages in fractured. Similar of course to the bonus stages in Sonic, but with polygons, was scrapped.

What's nuts about the main/core imagitec team is they were basically given no information about Bubsy and didn't understand the character.

Two or three guys didn't even know he was a bobcat, and some didn't understand the gliding was a feature of previous entries.

Looking up any Andrew Seed statements I can find, he didn't even know why the "!" was on Bubsys shirt. And assumed it was just part of the sprite. Which just adds to the communication issue and lack of information. That's something I recently found out.

I can't go too deep into the craziness but the whole thing was a wreck. Some of the ideas, some of them, weren't entirely bad though, I think the idea of an explorable 2D platformer could and had worked by that point, but how it was designed and implemented was, ugh.

Also Accolate was barely involved. And no I didn't misspell that, that was their given nickname.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

reading and I hated Bubsy. 

A year or so after Bubsy 3D, maybe two years, I had got the SNES version of Bubsy 1. As for years Mike had been tripling and quading down on people not understanding the original vision. Then Bubsy 2 shortly after.

Having played all 4 games ,(at the time) I can say one thing, the first is clearly the best and most consistent game in the series.

But it just doesn't work, the character, the stage design, the gameplay mechanics, it just doesn't work. 

I even played the recent Bubsy 5 (not 6 yet) which was a shorter slower game and it was just so boring and uneventful I barely finished it. Boss music was nice though.

Even the first game is just poor. Yeah it's better than Possum, Aero, Skunny, and Zool but we are still at the bottom of the moat.

Edited by Leeroy ST

1 hour ago, Leeroy ST said:

I dont know nothing about the panther (in regards to Bubsy fractured and imagitec) 

One thing little known about the game was the contracted Atari helping "support team" that wasn't credited, granted it's never credited in any game, made to support in programming for enemies and collision, and was part of a group that was supposed to help find ways to "increase" sprite quality out the Jaguar because they (the top) wanted a game of "exploration", and a cross between a indiana Jones and a Alice and wonderland feel, as it was described. With, "Disney animation and feel" with no real guidance.

Of course they had no clear goal and people were constantly pissed off with the just as constant changes, in fact the morons on top were so upset even thought they kept giving us less and less time, they told us eventually to pound sand and they had whoever they had left just throw the game together. There wasn't much quality control for collisions, this is apparent the further in the game you go but also right from the start, made worse by the bizarre idea to have one hit kills to encourage exploration and memorization. Any opposition to that was dismissed.

But the thing is Imagitec wasn't really the only issue here regarding Fractureds troubled development, but Atari was a problem as well with their handling of contractual staff on either end, as well as poor communication and bad tools. And Accolade well...

A key example, one associate contracted on the Atari "support" end contacted imagitec about the poor tools and information for the game, blaming the Jaguar limitations and suggesting the game should be moved to another platform.

Now I know some of you may quickly blame him for not knowing what was going on, but the truth is that's how bad the communication was. He didn't have a clue about why this game was being produced for the Jaguar platform exclusively.

As said before, the suggestions for mechanical changes were dismissed, including the characters moves. Eventually contractual support (Atari) was either entirely removed or were transferred to another game Atari supported.

One thing rarely mentioned was the creator of Bubsy, Michael Berlyn, he had come out in an interview with harsh words with how studios were handling his character. He was arguably the trigger that caused the game to become what it turned out to be (I never fully confirmed this but I was told he saw the ideas and demo for the game before the interview). Originally Bubsy Fractured was going to be a port until then.

It seemed like there was a clear attempt to "outdo" him by creating what was proposed as "the biggest mascot adventure yet" and I feel like that contributed to the lack of consistent vision. What's funny about this is from my information he had seen a demo and was aware of the ideas for Fractured, but In subsequent interviews he pretends Fractured doesn't exist, and you know it's intentional because he has referred to the game before, but in several Bubsy topic interviews he skips Fractured and places Bubsy 3D as "the next game" "the third game" or "Bubsy 3" constantly. He rarely if ever says there are 4 titles.

There was also an attempt to help create 3D bonus stages in fractured. Similar of course to the bonus stages in Sonic, but with polygons, was scrapped.

What's nuts about the main/core imagitec team is they were basically given no information about Bubsy and didn't understand the character.

Two or three guys didn't even know he was a bobcat, and some didn't understand the gliding was a feature of previous entries.

Looking up any Andrew Seed statements I can find, he didn't even know why the "!" was on Bubsys shirt. And assumed it was just part of the sprite. Which just adds to the communication issue and lack of information. That's something I recently found out.

I can't go too deep into the craziness but the whole thing was a wreck. Some of the ideas, some of them, weren't entirely bad though, I think the idea of an explorable 2D platformer could and had worked by that point, but how it was designed and implemented was, ugh.

Also Accolate was barely involved. And no I didn't misspell that, that was their given nickname.

So, basically you were in a "support team" nobody ever heard of and which was never credited? Interesting. 

Didn't you have any contact to Faran Thomason, who produced the game? 

The role of this "support" team sounds a bit obscure to me, e.g. why would hire someone a team to "increase" sprite quality - what does that mean exactly? Artwork? Animation?

And why would someone of Atari support suggest to move it to another platform? Atari thought the Jaguar was super powerful, but too limited for a simple scrolling platform game? And which platform exactly, the Jaguar was Ataris only viable platform. 

Your role and work for the game remains totally unclear, but really, I was not expecting anything tangible from you.

Edit:  "they told us eventually to pound sand and they had whoever they had left just throw the game together."

Ok, so basically your team was fired before it could do any work on the game that was worth crediting?

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

A year or so after Bubsy 3D, maybe two years, I had got the SNES version of Bubsy 1. As for years Mike had been tripling and quading down on people not understanding the original vision. Then Bubsy 2 shortly after.

Having played all 4 games ,(at the time) I can say one thing, the first is clearly the best and most consistent game in the series.

But it just doesn't work, the character, the stage design, the gameplay mechanics, it just doesn't work. 

I even played the recent Bubsy 5 (not 6 yet) which was a shorter slower game and it was just so boring and uneventful I barely finished it. Boss music was nice though.

Even the first game is just poor. Yeah it's better than Possum, Aero, Skunny, and Zool but we are still at the bottom of the moat.

Not a mascot character fan to any real degree period. 

Original Sonic on MD And Game Gear, Sonic Adventure on DC, but that's about it. 

Hated Zool, never taken to Mario games, never a fan of Lara Croft. 

Think it stems from being into computers and consoles prior to the NES. 

First micro was the Sinclair ZX81, first console the 2600.

Titles like Bubsy and Zool appearing on the Jaguar did it zero favours in my personal opinion, the teams behind them would of been better off writing original and exclusive titles, but the Jaguar never had the commercial legs to justify that. 

?

I've heard Andrew talk of Atari wanting a Nerf gun in Jaguar Bubsy... 

I have heard of Imagitec giving ST/AMIGA titles to external teams... 

I've heard of Atari using teams to assist teams... 

I've heard of artists within Imagitec Design raging about arrogant, know it all producers assigned to their teams, constantly chopping and changing project goals.. 

I know certain Jaguar Development teams had nicknames, Handmade Software was known as Half Finished software for example. 

Andrew Seed from my experience seemed to detail issues with sprites and Jaguar hardware at the time, over to Andrew:

"At the start of the Jaguar Atari promised a lot but were unable to deliver,
the GPU and DSP were cut back to half speed. The reason was that the chips
could not handle the heat and could overheat and stop working. ( As informed
by an ex-Atari insider ), also you only had either 2K or 2K of instructions
cache in the GPU - back to the days of the ZX81. Ok originally you were able
to run programs from outside the GPU's memory ( and DSP) but production
machines could not. This meant that you had to have code inside the GPU to
load memory from main 68000 memory. This was a pain. Also the GPU and DSP
could read 64bits from main memory but internally it was 32bits - this meant
that 32bits of the lovely 64bit read went into a memory address.
Other problems with the Jag was the more sprites on screen took more time
away from the CPUs. Bubsy ( which I wrote - mainly in 68000 - based on the
Genesis control code) did run at 60 frames a second ( PAL 50 frames - not my
fault 8¬) ) The Ali Baba level had a lot of small sprites per character - to
save memory but crucified the game since it placed a heavy burden on
processor time. But due to having 3 full screen sprites ( background , and
2 for the map - Bubsy could run behind things) I lost about 30% of processor
time. Another problem I had with Bubsy was that updating the visible tiles
meant a loss of 40% processor time - this varied due to the amount of none
blank blocks I had to blit onto the map sprites. This was at most 72 16*16
blocks ( 256 colour). Depending upon how you needed to use the blitter it
could be very fast but in most circumstances it would be slow. Finally the
sound was like the ST, would had create an interrupt and feed the sound chip
the values. Unlike the STE and Falcon where you could just play a buffer
OK you had to create the buffer but that was in a nice fast tight loop)."

It doesn't come across as Imagitec requiring a support team

The information given is rather vague, 

So the team wasn't credited, but you must have had a name, paychecks had to go somewhere.. 

Imagitec were conversion kings, cheap, able to deliver the majority of the time. 

Did they need to understand Pitfall Harry to convert the Mayan Adventure to the Jaguar? 

If you give us your name or even a nickname, I can run it past my old Imagitec Design contacts or better still, Andrew Seed himself might reply to your post. 

I'm curious why these planned polygon 3D bonus stages are only just coming to light. 

You've been an active poster on here for a while, yet are only now telling us you worked on a support team, giving insight into scrapped features for Bubsy on Jaguar? 

Very, very curious.. 
Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

So, basically you were in a "support team" nobody ever heard of and which was never credited? Interesting. 

Didn't you have any contact to Faran Thomason, who produced the game? 

The role of this "support" team sounds a bit obscure to me, e.g. why would hire someone a team to "increase" sprite quality - what does that mean exactly? Artwork? Animation?

And why would someone of Atari support suggest to move it to another platform? Atari thought the Jaguar was super powerful, but too limited for a simple scrolling platform game? And which platform exactly, the Jaguar was Ataris only viable platform. 

Your role and work for the game remains totally unclear, but really, I was not expecting anything tangible from you.

Edit:  "they told us eventually to pound sand and they had whoever they had left just throw the game together."

Ok, so basically your team was fired before it could do any work on the game that was worth crediting?

We did work they just scrapped most of it late. 

Everything else was explained, example, contracts on each end to assist, mass miscommunication, lack of knowledge of the character. This wasn't just Atari and Imagitec but Accolade too (who controlled the IP.) 

I never said anything about Atari thinking the platform couldn't handle a side scroller, in fact on both ends I brought up the exact opposite, they wanted something smooth, well animated and Disney comparable but it was tough with what everyone had to pull that off.

The only 2D game on the Jag that came close to but still not what they wanted (with poor guidance) was Rayman, and that used tricks with the detached limbs.

Then you have the whole Mike situation and the other issue with the core Imagitec devs not having a clue about the character or abilities as described previously. I myself wasn't familiar originally but I got more information than they did.

The Andrew Seed remarks seemed to have been echoed (somewhat) on this very forum too.

There's more, but already you have a mess, and the consequences are clearly evident to those who played the game, more so if you get further in. 

26 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

Not a mascot character fan to any real degree period. 

Original Sonic on MD And Game Gear, Sonic Adventure on DC, but that's about it. 

Hated Zool, never taken to Mario games, never a fan of Lara Croft. 

Think it stems from being into computers and consoles prior to the NES. 

First micro was the Sinclair ZX81, first console the 2600.

Titles like Bubsy and Zool appearing on the Jaguar did it zero favours in my personal opinion, the teams behind them would of been better off writing original and exclusive titles, but the Jaguar never had the commercial legs to justify that. 

I dont understand why Zool was brought over. But at least there is some justification for Bubsy as he was a popular franchise and according to Mike was Accolades biggest IP. Though by the time fractured came out the franchise was falling off.

I'm sure if the game succeeded Atari may have worked with Accolade to make it an official mascot. For better or worse.

But I'm generally not a fan of mascots either though I gave Crash a slide for awhile