IGNORED

Wen hop? The Search for Planet X

Andrew Davie

12 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I'm wondering if you watched the ZPH show a year or two back where wen hop was shown?  In particular the dogeship with the animating dogeballs?

Sadly, only recently did I find out YouTube put ZPH from All notifications to basically zero.  I did see your "underwater rocketry" video and didn't catch the phallic theme :)

• Sad 1

I just thought of an interesting gameplay mechanic which a quick-n-dirty test shows actually seems workable. The idea is that when a position (i.e., a square area on the grid) is completely surrounded by rock, then it changes into a dogecoin.  Think of maybe some sort of high-pressure mid-rock magic. Anyway, I like it because you drop rocks to form the big blocks of rocky area... but inside those rocky areas are now dogecoins, and you now need to break apart the rocky areas to get the coins. It seems to lead to interesting gameplay, and now rather than scatter dogecoin randomly around the screen, you actually have to generate them by selective rock-dropping.  Forming areas of rock with cells totally surrounded by other rock isn't exactly the simplest thing to do.
I'll work on it for a while and then release a version for opinions.

Here's a short video showing the concept. The diamonds here will be dogecoins. The shapes are a quick hack here, but essentially whenever a totally rock/diamond surrounded area is found, it changes to the treasure.  More obvious later in the video.  what you're looking for/at here is when I drop rocks onto other rocks, and they "conglomerate", when an area inside that rock block I'm forming is totally surrounded by other rock, then it becomes the diamond/coin.
Seems to offer some interesting mechanics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

What do you mean? YouTube changed your notification setting on its own? Didn't happen to me.

Rumor has it if you haven't engaged in a channel for a certain amount of time they "help" you by changing your notification setting.  I've noticed it happen a few times because the only setting I ever use is "All" notifications.

10 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

There's a tune, of sorts, running in the background. @Pat Brady helped me with the transcription; TY.  I hacked the 2nd channel to be a sort of random-distortion backing track; I know it's horrible!

I've worked a bit on a bass line, but not finished it yet. Hopefully this week.

Well, the dogecoins are in, and I've added a new mechanic - instead of pushing boulders, you now hack at them with a pickaxe. Obviously extremely early/placeholder graphics, but it seems to be quite a nice gameplay element. In the video I'm just going through a few variants of creating coin and mining it. I like.

WenHop_20230220@20_03_26.bin

• Like 3

I was just watching my interview on @ZeroPage Homebrew, as one does, and was thinking "hey, boy this new boulder merge thing would look brilliant on Sokoboo".  It really does give a nice feeling of continuous walls/areas. Maybe I'll get back and do yet another Sokoboo. Doing it again but with ARM would be super-quick.

• Like 1

Well, three versions in a night is a bit over the top... but if you're on a roll...  so this is the last version for tonight. I have realised that due to the game mechanic change of using a pick to shatter rocks, you can technically no longer get trapped (so you don't need suicide). It actually adds quite a lot to the gameplay, so now you really are mining rather than just moving around through dirt.  Here's a bit of gameplay video showing that.  Also, added some sounds. All rudimentary placeholders stuff, but it's feeling pretty solid to me.

WenHop_20230220@23_43_51.bin

• Like 4

As a gameplay element, are you thinking of limiting the amount of pickaxe uses? It might be interesting to have them only good for 20 hits or something, but then you have to find additional pickaxes to continue.

it could also be fun to be able to stock up and buy them at a store in the Asteroid Belt or from the UFO store or something. I'm just thinking it could be an interestingway to scale difficulty between novice and expert players.

9 hours ago, Propane13 said:

As a gameplay element, are you thinking of limiting the amount of pickaxe uses? It might be interesting to have them only good for 20 hits or something, but then you have to find additional pickaxes to continue.

it could also be fun to be able to stock up and buy them at a store in the Asteroid Belt or from the UFO store or something. I'm just thinking it could be an interestingway to scale difficulty between novice and expert players.

Yes, thanks for the suggestion.  Here's the new mechanics...

I've ditched the idea of rocks changing to dogecoin when completely surrounded by other rocks. I've also changed the operation of the pickaxe. It used to just pulverize a rock. New behaviour is that you pickaxe a rock and it and all the connected rocks change to dogecoin. This gives a good "meaning" to the mechanism of showing the rocks as connected, too - you can instantly/easily see which ones will change to dogecoin. Furthermore, any dogecoin touching a boulder will turn that rock to dogecoin too. It adds interesting mechanic - for example, if I limit the amount of picks you have/can do, then you really want to first conglomerate the rocks into larger groupings, and then do the "picking" to convert to dogecoin. Another way is to drop existing dogecoin onto rock groups. I deliberately slow down the coin generation to give some visual eye candy as it happens. There's a bug where falling boulders disappear - but ignoring that, it's all happening!

I'll release a binary when I fix the falling boulder blank/bug.

• Like 2

What is the player facing gameplay advantage of connecting up many boulders before you hit them - more coins than usual, more valuable coins, a bonus or some other reward - the limit on hits seems a bit mean as a forcing function for the connecting up of boulders 😀

sTeVE

P.S. It looks absolutely lovely!

Edited by Jetboot Jack

26 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Sorry if this is already answered - if you hit one boulder with the pickaxe does it become a coin or only "merged" boulders generate coins when hit, so two and up merged boulders?

What is the player facing gameplay advantage of connecting up many boulders before you hit them - more coins than usual, more valuable coins, a bonus or some other reward?

sTeVE

P.S. It looks absolutely lovely!

Current mechanics aren't final. But here's what happens now...   you hit one boulder with the pickaxe 4 times, it changes to a dogecoin. If you are still holding the direction, you immediately move over it and grab the coin. End of story.  However, if you let the joystick go just as the 4th strike happens, then it changes the boulder to a doge-coin and a chain reaction starts -- any boulders adjacent to that coin also become dogecoin, and so forth.

The merged block defines the limit of that chain reaction. Currently that's all that happens.  However what I'm working on right now is a counter, so I will be counting the number of boulders converted to dogecoin from your single original coin. The larger the area the bigger the score bonus.  That is, convert 3 boulders to coins, maybe 100 points.  Convert 30, then maybe 50000 points.  So you will want to bulid up the areas first and THEN convert to dogecoin.

Also, another mechanic, you will only have a limited number of pickaxe/strikes available so you really do want to maximise the dogecoin harvest by building up large boulder groups first, before expending your precious tools for mining.

Also also, don't forget to hit left difficulty if the iCC display is bugging your eyes - you can just switch back to normal chronocolour.

Edit: forgot to mention -- if you drop coins on blocks of boulders, that also starts a chain reaction, and you get the same scoring/points for that, too.  So far I've found a number of strategies that are significantly different in execution, but which give an awful lot of dogecoin action.  It's all happening.

• Like 1

Here's a version that implements that behaviour -- if you generate coins in a block of < 10 then you just get that many points.  If more than 10, less than 20, you get 10 x the number of coins as your score. If you get 20 or more, then you get 100x the number of coins as your score. It incentivises generating large areas, which takes gameplay time to do.  I'll put onscreen "x10" and "x100" indicators up sometime to make it obvious what's happening.

WenHop_20230222@23_09_28.bin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I'm thinking -- since Mellon Husk is a billionaire, and I have 10 digits available for the score... I really should allow 10 digit scores, as true multi-billionaires do.

only 10 digits?

🤷‍♂️

a decent 2600 game nowadays has 15 for each player:

Awesome - thanks for taking the time to explain - love it, the merging boulders effect is superb!!!

I find "if you let the joystick go just as the 4th strike happens, then it changes the boulder to a doge-coin and a chain reaction starts" rather hard to time and get right consistently.

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack