IGNORED

Wen hop? The Search for Planet X

Andrew Davie

12 hours ago, TIX said:

Rounded corners are looking great !

Astronaut guy is moving along nicely, I revert him back to 27 pixels height, to have a couple of pixels left for the taller frames !

So (apart from the death sequence) what else is needed ?

Maybe a little stay still (impatient) animation ?

astronaut-guy-6.gif.c4dad59a15eb0a4e04740520b0ba1ade.gif

TY. Just a quick first-pass to see what it might look like....  I probably have a pixel or line or two incorrect, as I eyeballed the above.

crt_WenHop_20230312_172054_triple_4.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TIX said:

FRAME_BLANK,            // 21
    FRAME_STAND,            // 0
    FRAME_ARMS_IN_AIR,      // 1
    FRAME_HUNCH,            // 2
    FRAME_HAIR,             // 3
    FRAME_PUSH,             // 4
    FRAME_PUSH2,            // 5
    FRAME_HAIR2,            // 6
    FRAME_IMPATIENT,        // 7
    FRAME_IMPATIENT2,       // 8
    FRAME_LOOK1,            // 9
    FRAME_LOOK2,            // 10
    FRAME_SHADES,           // 11
    FRAME_SHADES_ARM,       // 12
    FRAME_BLINK,            // 13
    FRAME_WALK1,            // 14
    FRAME_WALK2,            // 15
    FRAME_WALK3,            // 16
    FRAME_WALK4,            // 17
    FRAME_SNATCH_DOWN,      // 18
    FRAME_SKELETON,         // 19
    FRAME_SKELETON2,        // 20
    FRAME_SKELETON3,        // 22
    FRAME_SKELETON4,        // 23
    FRAME_SKELETON5,        // 24
    FRAME_ARMSCROSSED,      // 25
    FRAME_TALK,             // 26

Well, some interesting changes. To me, anyway. I'm constantly looking at variations of things which can lead to ... gameplay.  So I've firstly modified the graphics for the boulders so they're less square-block-like.  And I've also worked on the "rounded corners" of passageways and filling in, so now isolated boulders in dirt don't have any gaps around them at all - they look pretty cool to my eye.  And the major change here is the "conglomerates" -- that is, where rocks which were adjacent merged into a single mass.  Previously this was a kind of "invisible bonus" where the larger the block you "mined" by hitting with pickaxe, the more points you get. That's still there, and I will put in an onscreen "multiplier" to show how many points you get.  But what I've changed now is that mining single rocks does nothing at all - they just disintegrate into a puff of dust. What you *have* to do is to get boulders into those conglomerates. And when you do, the graphic now shows an embedded doge coin in each conglomerate part, so when you mine those, there's a nice visual of the surrounding rock disappearing and the coin remaining. I like it, we shall see what others think. 

The music - ignore - just a hodge-podge of different what-if experiments.

WenHop_20230312@22_12_08.bin

• Like 4

Just now, m.o.terra kaesi said:

Maybe I missed it: Has the project now defenitely shifted from a possible "Boulder Dash 2" to "wen Hop?"?

No, completely different projects.  "Boulder Dash 2" so to speak is essentially complete and no work is being done on that one.

Wen Hop?  Is my next game - it's significantly different concept to BD, and even the engine is now diverging... although it started with a common codebase.

So in summary - "Boulder Dash 2" so to speak... hope to see this released in a year or two.  WenHop?  who knows, but I'm having fun creating new gameplay concepts - such as the pushers, the slergs, the (physically) mining doge, the conglomerate rocks, the embedded doge, the water, the lava, the spaceships, spinning planets., etc., etc.  

Check out some "idle" animations, they need speed adjusting but here you go,

in the 1st one he is checking his watch 😄.

Of course you can mix them together for a longer sequence !

You can also see a rough "push" animation (still needs work).

astronaut-guy-8.thumb.gif.47fb4fdc41425a61d03bf1b9adbe445b.gif

EDIT:   Can you explain what "SNATCH DOWN" means ?

Edited by TIX
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, TIX said:

Rounded corners are looking great !

Astronaut guy is moving along nicely, I revert him back to 27 pixels height, to have a couple of pixels left for the taller frames !

astronaut-guy-6.gif.c4dad59a15eb0a4e04740520b0ba1ade.gif

I cannot un-see the sad face on chest of the walking down sprite 😛

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Haha 2

The conglomerate rock/coin groups are now linked. I'll work this into the backstory somehow - groups of dogecoin link together for more power (after all they power your spacecraft), so perhaps here we see the linkages happening. Anyway, its a cool effect and very cheap to do.  I like it.

Here's a binary with the doge-chains or whatever they're called. They're a superposition of doge states, effectively entangled doge coin - which, as we all know, are the source of doge energy for our spacecraft.  The player is still a bit ... laggy... some of this is the player movemet is still aligned/calculated on 4-pixel movement, I hope. So forgive that and just focus on the visuals.

WenHop_20230313@16_01_25.bin

14 hours ago, TIX said:

Check out some "idle" animations, they need speed adjusting but here you go,

in the 1st one he is checking his watch 😄.

Of course you can mix them together for a longer sequence !

You can also see a rough "push" animation (still needs work).

astronaut-guy-8.thumb.gif.47fb4fdc41425a61d03bf1b9adbe445b.gif

EDIT:   Can you explain what "SNATCH DOWN" means ?

TY these are all very nice, and I'll try putting them in soon. However, a few points

1) I really need the individual frames, not animations - because there's an AWFUL lot of work transcribing to 1s and 0s

2) There is no "push" anymore, although the frame is used for grabbing.  No push because a) it's too similar to BD, and 2) I use the joystick against boulder -push for the use of the pickaxe. 

3) Previously I did not have walking away/towards, but I should be able to use these for up/down. Could look good

OK, continuing with the idea of doge entanglement, and the rewarding of extra points/doge when you mine large connected areas of doge, I've noticed that it's rare/difficult to completely surround a dogecoin with other dogecoin. That is, an internal fully-entangled doge. So I've decided to make these rare things the unit (=multiplier) when you mine connected dogecoins.  In the video, you see how tricky it is to build up a fully-entangled doge - and whenever I do, it starts flashing. These entangled doge will be used to encourage you to try and build large doge entanglements before mining.  I build up a few entangled doge blocks and then mine them.

WenHop_20230313@20_20_20.bin

• Like 2

If you've ever wondered what fullly-entangled dogecoin looks like, the source of universal free energy, look no further...  here we see the raw power of the dogecoin when entangled in critical mass.  A few seconds into the video, hopefully it will be pretty obvious.

WenHop_20230313@23_50_34.bin

• Like 2

When I get comments saying "it's like Boulder Dash" this kind of bugs me. I'm trying to make it quite different. I wonder does collecting things underground and falling boulders really cover "like Boulder Dash" and you can't have a game with these elements?  AFAIK, Boulder Dash was not the first game to do this - "Digger" comes to mind.  I want to be substantially different from Boulder Dash -- I wonder when that threshold is crossed, so I can safely release and not just claim, but actually have something completely new/different and not infringing. I don't think it's infringing now, of course, but I want to be totally sure.

• Like 1

When I get comments saying "it's like Boulder Dash" this kind of bugs me. I'm trying to make it quite different. I wonder does collecting things underground and falling boulders really cover "like Boulder Dash" and you can't have a game with these elements?  AFAIK, Boulder Dash was not the first game to do this - "Dig Dug (1982)" comes to mind, and I'm pretty sure there was a much earlier one.  I want to be substantially different from Boulder Dash -- I wonder when that threshold is crossed, so I can safely release and not just claim, but actually have something completely new/different and not infringing. I don't think it's infringing now, of course, but I want to be totally sure.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

When I get comments saying "it's like Boulder Dash" this kind of bugs me. I'm trying to make it quite different. I wonder does collecting things underground and falling boulders really cover "like Boulder Dash" and you can't have a game with these elements?  AFAIK, Boulder Dash was not the first game to do this - "Dig Dug (1982)" comes to mind, and I'm pretty sure there was a much earlier one.  I want to be substantially different from Boulder Dash -- I wonder when that threshold is crossed, so I can safely release and not just claim, but actually have something completely new/different and not infringing. I don't think it's infringing now, of course, but I want to be totally sure.

There is a rich genre of games that riff on the digging theme - I see nothing here that makes me think "ooh a boulderdash clone" at all.

From Dig Dug to O'Reilys Mine, Mr Driller or more modern games like Terraria or Steamworld Dig - many games have used digging or mining as a core mechanic.

Wen Hop looks pretty unique to me!

sTeVE

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I think the reason for this is the looks.

Boulder Dash has a very distinct style that makes it instantly recognizable.. at least in my eyes.

So by tweaking the looks, you are taking steps in the right direction !

Novel gameplay elements

• water
  • lava
  • doge-entanglement 
  • pusher bars
  • slergs, generating doge coins
  • spaceship
  • 9x planet quest
  • spinning worlds/globe
  • "mining" conglomerate doge-blocks
  • forming dogeblocks to get coin
  • use of coin as fuel for spaceflight

Novel visual elements

• dynamic passageway "rounding"
  • radioactive/sparks
  • "solid" dirt graphics
  • characters 5-pixels wide (as opposed to 4 in BD)
  • circular swipe/transition

Common elements

• boulders
  • digging through dirt
  • particular way boulders fall (down/shift/down)

Elements in BD2 that aren't "owned" by anyone and can be re-used

• rain
  • screen shake
  • dust/ puffs of dirt
  • impact sparks on boulder fall
  • pebbles/glitches in bg/dirt
  • parallax scroll
  • shaking boulders warning of falling
  • rainbow backgrounds
  • 6-sprite title screen with animating BG
  • Interleaved ChronoColour (iCC)
  • character-graphics, chronocolour
  • variable graphical resolution (normal/mid/overview)
  • the player graphics/animations (although can't BOTH use, and it fits for BD)
  • PF graphics scoreline, text
  • text overlaying PF

Elements in BD and not in Wen Hop

• pushing boulders
  • grabbing diamonds
  • diamonds
  • butterflies
  • firefiles
  • creating diamonds with dropping boulders on butterflies
  • concept of getting a certain # of diamonds to complete cave/level

Elements of concern

• physics of falling boulders 
  • digging through dirt
  • similarity of player animations (for now)

As we all know, doge coin spontaneously "combust" -- here I first mine some doge coin, then hang around and watch two of them spontaneously combust. For the rest off the video I'm just mining and collecting doge coin -- the animation is quite effective.  This effect is achieved by using "rain" with random direction and velocity (but short-lived) from the center point of each doge coin as it is either collected or combusts.  It's very cheap to do, but surprisingly effective when combined with a dust animation (barely visible here in blue as the coin disappears).  I really like this, and should be awesome when I add an appropriate sound effect.

Wouldn't mind some feedback on recent developments.  Thumbs-up are great, of course, but I hang out for comments - especially what does NOT work for you insofar as graphics/design/ideas go.

WenHop_20230314@23_30_02.bin

• Like 1

Gave it a run on real hardware because the emulator on my phone won't do it any justice. Love the astronaut suit vs regular guy because it better fits the theme your going for. Using the left/right to break rocks and get dogecoins is intuitive and makes sense. I'm gathering there's no use for the fire button with the multi-ray weapon yet? Playing on my phone I never got past the first level but I found it pretty easy to do on my system. The addition of the crushers makes things interesting and avoiding them can certainly be tricky as you remove a lot of the dirt between them. The worms are interesting are and a nice departure from butterflies and other cave creatures we are used too. It may be a cave game, but it doesn't feel like BD in any way to me.