IGNORED

Writing a book about the 7800

TwoShedsWilson

Went on vacation for a week. Then I caught a really cool story about the NES in Brazil and it made me wonder if I was missing anything like that for Atari in other regions. Everything I read about video games is pretty US-centric with mentions of Europe and/or Japan thrown in. I want to be more complete (if there is a story to tell anyway).

So far I have not found a lot regarding the 7800 even in Europe. I know it wasn't released in Japan and I don't think it ever hit Brazil (although it very nearly did and that's part of what made the NES story so good).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

Went on vacation for a week. Then I caught a really cool story about the NES in Brazil and it made me wonder if I was missing anything like that for Atari in other regions. Everything I read about video games is pretty US-centric with mentions of Europe and/or Japan thrown in. I want to be more complete (if there is a story to tell anyway).

So far I have not found a lot regarding the 7800 even in Europe. I know it wasn't released in Japan and I don't think it ever hit Brazil (although it very nearly did and that's part of what made the NES story so good).

Assume you've got the initial UK unveiling, games prices in London, then Atari's Bob Gleadow explaining why it was to be put back as Atari UK in favour of the XEGS and it finally limping out.. 

Stuff like Son Of VCS article from C+VG

Misc software reviews from Raze. 

3 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Assume you've got the initial UK unveiling, games prices in London, then Atari's Bob Gleadow explaining why it was to be put back as Atari UK in favour of the XEGS and it finally limping out.. 

Stuff like Son Of VCS article from C+VG

Misc software reviews from Raze. 

None of it. I've downloaded a ton of stuff from UK magazines from archive.org. Haven't read it yet.

Cool project! Just downloaded the book, gave a quick read and caught a couple of punctuation errors:

Page 2:

Biggest of thanks to: Atariage.com with its (should be its) extremely knowledgeable...

...no apostrophe between it and the s.  

On Page 7:

Many of historys greatest success stories can be followed by the words that could never happen today.  (may want to punctuate after a closed quote) The 70s and 80s (might be a matter of style, but believe an apostrophe after the number is more appropriate. Ie: 70's and 80's.) were a time of exciting new technology, (may want to add a comma here otherwise feels like a run-on) with computers being nothing less than magic boxes with unknown limitations.

Just a couple of things that caught my eye. Like you said, good to have other eyes on these things.  :)

Thanks (although about punction inside the closed quote thing, I will die on that hill). All of the text has been getting re-worked over and over. I write it in Word, put it into Publisher for formatting, then put it back into Word when I find something new. It's a terrible workflow and I should be ashamed of myself.

12 hours ago, TwoShedsWilson said:

None of it. I've downloaded a ton of stuff from UK magazines from archive.org. Haven't read it yet.

There's a good deal of chaff within the wheat as there always is with UK Press coverage, if your using Raze and ACE for example. 

Talk of 7800 Turrican being on display if you attended a certain show.. 

The team of Imagine coders weing set up to produce X amount of games for the system, think I got to the bottom of that by cross reference work, it was just the team who were working on Chronicles Of Cute, which jumped to Chronicles Of Omega on ST and Amiga. 

Atari's changing decision did catch those Home Shopping catalogs on the hope, as they were put together months in advance, so you could find the 7800 in pages, when Atari had in fact postponed it's release in favour of the XEGS game system bet thst went down well. 

C+VG has details of the imital showing in London. 

9 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Since when did we start putting punctuation after the closed quote?

I had thought whenever starting a new sentence immediately after said quote. But reading into it now, looks like that's the British preferred method. American publishing is inconsistent on this, but apparently the practice to punctuate inside of a quote is preferred in this case. My bad!  ?

https://www.hamilton.edu/academics/centers/writing/style/essentials/punctuation-of-quotations

• Like 1