IGNORED

Do you know that kind of hack ?

Zeelay

Hello,

I am looking for some hacks that re-use a graphic kernel,

but to do a different game : the gameplay is totally (or very much) different from the original game.

So far, I have found only 3 games that have been hacked this way :

- Elk Attack (from Pengo)

- Radar Lock (from Solaris - well it's not really a hack, but it reuses a part of the code)

- Knightmate (from Video Chess)

Does anyone here knows more games that have been hacked like this ?

Thanx ;)

Igor.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Well it's not that there isn't or no one is interested, but a bit confused about your post.  You say hacks, BUT, your first two entries are commercial releases to commercial release hacks, where your third entry is from a commercial release to a homebrew hack.

That said, are you looking for both commercial and homebrew hacks or strictly commercial to commercial engines?

I know that the A Team,  MR T prototype from Atari was a hack of Saboteur, another Atari brand title but both were prototypes.

Asterix, an Atari brand title, was a hack of Taz, another Atari brand game.

Both of those entries are in the database here at AA if you want more info or even Atari Protos.com

I do believe there maybe a couple more but they escape me right now.

Also are you considering the hundreds of pirated  titles pumped out by off brand companies like zellers back in the 80s that would literally take titles from the original and mash them together like Pac Kong?  Yes, they really exist.

I can think of HUNDREDS of hacks of games here that are fan made hacks but you just need to go to the 2600 database above and search out hacks...

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, by hack, I mean modified games (commercial or not, homebrew or not).

In the case of Asterix/Taz or A-Team/Saboteur, the gameplays are still the same, which is not what I am looking for.

I am looking for modified games, where the graphic-kernel is basically the same, but the gameplay have been really changed.

It is not a problem to consider the hundreds of pirates games (Zellers and other), but as far as I know, the gameplays of these games are still the same.

Like I said in my first post :

I am looking for some hacks that re-use a graphic kernel,

but to do a different game : the gameplay is totally (or very much) different from the original game.

For example, we could reuse the graphic-Kernel of Surround to make a Qix or a Game of life.

But I am looking for a game that have actually been modified in a such way.