IGNORED

SGM2 official thread

opcode

After years of plans, false starts, and redesigns, we are finally coming closer to get a new version of the SGM out. Now officially named the Super Game Module 2.

From our announcement:

Released in 2012, the Super Game Module (SGM), made real Coleco’s unfulfilled promises from the past, giving a sense of closure to those who had been waiting for the Colecovision to reach its intended potential. It truly became essential and, after six successful production runs, more than 1,800 have been distributed around the globe. 

Now it is time to move forward to the next level…

Introducing the VSC1, the first chip designed specifically for the ColecoVision

by Michael Thomasson

Nearly a decade after the resurrected SGM became a reality, we at Opcode believe that it is time yet again to enhance the Colecovision with even greater power and opportunity. Introducing Opcode’s first custom-designed chip: the VSC1 - a truly integrated video and audio solution!

Seeing is believing, so let’s talk video. First of all, the VSC1 is fully backward compatible with the ColecoVision's TMS9928 video chip and the SGM's AY-3-8910 sound chip. One of the VSC1’s many components is the Advanced Video Display Processor (AVDP). This new video controller addresses key shortcomings found in the ColecoVision’s TMS9928 compared to some of its contemporaries like the Atari 7800 and NES. 

The AVDP offers:

• Super smooth scrolling being generated from the hardware.
  • Two sprite modes, legacy and the new Arcade Sprites.
  • Arcade Sprites mode offers twice the color depth, allowing for three colors per sprite.
  • Twice as many sprites onscreen are now possible in Arcade Sprites mode, doubling the sprites from 32 to 64.
  • Limitation in number of sprites per scan line was addressed and removed from both the new Arcade Sprites mode and the legacy sprites modes, so ALL ColecoVision games can now be enjoyed free of sprite flickering
  • Color selection has been vastly improved. Now up to 80 different colors can be display onscreen simultaneously, selectable from a range of 4096 available colors.
  • The new Video Processor Unit (VPU), a kind of graphics co-processor, can change video settings on the fly based on scan line or column positions.

The VSC1 also includes a robust Advanced Programmable Sound Generator(APSG). Not only is it expanded from three to nine channels, but, for the first time, each channel can be programmed with a different waveform in order to simulate distinct instruments such as drums. Expect wall-rattling explosions and even crisp, clear digitized voice!

Super Game Module 2, taking the ColecoVision to the next level 

We are proud to introduce to you the newest member of the ColecoVision family… the Super Game Module 2 (SGM2)! By merging the SGM with the VSC1, it will completely redefine what the ColecoVision can do, while still keeping backward compatibility with virtually all existing ColecoVision and SGM1 games.

These days, modern television sets are dropping the old analog inputs, making it really hard for users to hook up their beloved ColecoVision to current TVs. And we’re thrilled that the SGM2 offers HDMI output for the first time. That is right, HDMI output directly from the SGM2. Not just for SGM2 compatible games, but for ANY ColecoVision game. But this isn’t the only convenience feature that the new SGM2 offers for legacy games! One such feature allows games to play free of sprite flicker. The SGM2 will also offer settings for legacy games configurable by the user.

The SGM2 releases in late 2022 at an estimated retail price of less than $130.

Demonstration of the SGM2 prototype running different ColecoVision content. 

It is all about the games! 

Talking about games, Opcode has plenty planned for the SGM2. Games marked as “SGM2 Supported” can run on a regular SGM1, but will offer additional graphic and sound benefits when you use the SGM2. “SGM2 Required” games can only run on a SGM2, and will take full advantage of all SGM2 capabilities. 

In the following section you will find more information about some of the games we have planned for the SGM2 in the next 12 months. Most are “SGM2 Supported”, which means you can still enjoy them using your SGM1, and when you feel it is time to upgrade, you will already have a sizeable collection of SGM2 compatible games!

Bosconian 

The SGM2 enhances this arcade port with colorful Arcade Sprites mode and all the voices found in the arcade version. 

Tank Battalion and Warp & Warp 

Two arcade classics that are enhanced when using the SGM2, offering authentic arcade colors and sound.

Sweet Acorn and Xyzolog 

The SGM2 enhances these Taito games with Arcade Sprites and improved color palette and sound.

DKA 

Get ready for an even superior arcade experience when using the SGM2. Arcade Sprites, arcade accurate color palette and sounds, and more!

Pac-Man DX 

The SGM2 brings the arcade experience home with authentic arcade sounds, colors, and sprites.

Gradius Enhanced

Gradius leverages all the SGM2 features for an absolute astounding game experience. You really have to see and hear it to believe it.

Moon Cresta 

SGM2 enhances the game with Arcade Sprites and faithful arcade sound. 

And many more to come! 

From now on, all our releases will support the SGM2. Our entire back catalog will also be re-released with support for the SGM2 features, including more than 20 games we received the rights back from Pixelboy. There are also plans for a Remasters series, upgrading those original ColecoVision classics to support the new SGM2 features. Remasters series games will be offered as perks exclusively to Opcode Club members. You can also expect some 3rd party support to be announced soon.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Okay this all looks good, but it seems to imply that no games will be released (DKA in particular) until they've all been properly tested (and debugged) with the final revision of the SGM2. Is the SGM2 revision you're playing with in your video the final revision?

(You suck at Popeye, by the way.)  ? 

Edited by Pixelboy

6 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

Okay this all looks good, but it seems to imply that no games will be released (DKA in particular) until they've all been properly tested (and debugged) with the final revision of the SGM2. Is the SGM2 revision you're playing with in your video the final revision?

(You suck at Popeye, by the way.)  ? 

That isn't me in the video. :P 

That might not be the final revision, and we may still add features. But we planned in such a way that it shouldn't impact existing features. The games releasing this year use the feature set in the announcement, and nothing is being delayed. In the worst case scenario games may need to be updated later on, that is a possibility, but even that is easier now, as the new cartridge can be reprogrammed in place (no need to open the cartridge). 

Finally, the prototype is fully functional as it is right now. We set the release date to late 2022 to give us time to fine tune and polish everything, and to beta test this with as many people as possible, and as many games as possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: So we finally have the first five (5) SGM2 compatible games ready for manufacturing. Games are Bosconian, Warp&Warp, Tank Battalion, Sweet Acorn, and Xyzolog. All games require SGM1 minimum. They all offer three (3) tiers of support:

1) SGM1 - The basic tier

2) F18A/Phoenix - The medium tier, with generally improved graphics

3) SGM2 - The advanced tier, with improved graphics and sound

Starting next week I will be demoing one game a week. I will show the 3 tiers in action, and explain the differences. Again, the important thing here is, one cartridge, 3 tiers. You can use your platform of choice.

After those 5 games ship in September (and yes, there will be additional copies available), we have DKA coming in November also supporting SGM2 (Super Game Club members and 2016 pre-orders only). In early 2022 we have Pac-Man DX, and finally Moon Cresta, all supporting SGM2. In 2022 we will also be getting Time Pilot Arcade, Popeye Arcade, and Gradius Arcade as part of the new Super Game Club cycle. And a bunch of color line re-releases supporting SGM2 as well. Finally, later in 2022 we should have the SGM2 available.

So stay tuned for updates starting next week.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I’m speechless…

When can I start signing my paychecks over to you?

In all seriousness, when can I start pre-ordeing all the games mentioned? I am a club member, too.

BTW - when I received my club package in the mail today, I noticed that my Club Card had someone else’s name on it. 

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ZilogZ80 said:

Bummer my SGM1 is still new in its box!

I dont see why i should keep my SGM1 if SGM2 can do it all!

Oh well..congrats and thank you for making this happen!

Actually you may want to keep your SGM1 in case:

1) You want analog video output

2) You want to play the SGM1 version of a SGM2 enabled game

:) 

16 hours ago, opcode said:

Actually you may want to keep your SGM1 in case:

1) You want analog video output

2) You want to play the SGM1 version of a SGM2 enabled game

:) 

Good points!

Will arcade Popeye be a arcade perfect port?(In SGM2 mode) or will it be an enhanced version of CV game?(graphic and audio wise)

• 3 months later...
On 8/20/2021 at 8:23 AM, ZilogZ80 said:

Good points!

Will arcade Popeye be a arcade perfect port?(In SGM2 mode) or will it be an enhanced version of CV game?(graphic and audio wise)

Popeye is a new port. SGM2 mode includes Arcade Sprites, so the game should be really close to the original graphically. 

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 7:03 PM, opcode said:

After those 5 games ship in September (and yes, there will be additional copies available), we have DKA coming in November also supporting SGM2 (Super Game Club members and 2016 pre-orders only). In early 2022 we have Pac-Man DX, and finally Moon Cresta, all supporting SGM2. In 2022 we will also be getting Time Pilot Arcade, Popeye Arcade, and Gradius Arcade as part of the new Super Game Club cycle. And a bunch of color line re-releases supporting SGM2 as well. Finally, later in 2022 we should have the SGM2 available.

So stay tuned for updates starting next week.

I guess seeing as DKA, Pac Man DX, Gradius and Moon Cresta are delayed until September 2022 due to Covid related chip shortages, all the above other titles are delayed even more or not affected?  Nice to see what other games are in the pipeline though even if Covid has delayed things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 11:35 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

I guess seeing as DKA, Pac Man DX, Gradius and Moon Cresta are delayed until September 2022 due to Covid related chip shortages, all the above other titles are delayed even more or not affected?  Nice to see what other games are in the pipeline though even if Covid has delayed things.

So with those games and new copies of the SGM1 delayed, is there a new ETA for when the SGM2 and the Super Game Controller are coming out?

2 hours ago, MASTER260 said:

So with those games and new copies of the SGM1 delayed, is there a new ETA for when the SGM2 and the Super Game Controller are coming out?

SGM2 may also be affected by the chip shortage, so no updates yet. However we are now prioritizing the controller. More news soon. :)

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 11:46 PM, Little Chicken said:

Thanks for the Time Pilot game play ?

Could you also give us an update around the SGM2 hardware please; are we still expecting in 2022?

Unfortunately it isn't releasing in 2022. Chip shortage. Components aren't expected to be available for the next 18 months. But we keep working on things, and we are taking the delay into account in our plans, which means skipping some steps we had planned. 

EDIT: This demo is one of the nice things about the VSC1 chip inside the SGM2. The code was ported using the TOOL(R) in less than a week. Then I spent a couple of weeks disabling all sorts of protections and boobytraps. Then the sprite engine was created in a matter of days. Game is fully playable. Half of those asteroids are still missing though, as the original hardware uses a little trick to duplicate clouds and asteroids on screen, but shouldn't be hard to simulate with the VSC1. And then the only major piece still missing is the tile engine, which I will do next. So a full arcade port in just a matter of weeks. Which means, more time to add extra stuff...

Edited by opcode
Missing info
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 1:53 AM, Little Chicken said:

Greatly appreciate the update.
Would you consider a small run of the SGM1, assuming chip availability, to help the community out please?

Sure, we have a new run coming out in September 2022.

Quick test Galaga SGM2. Still very early. 

Sprite driver was just something that I put together in an afternoon to see the game running. Demo timing needs (a lot of) fine tuning, 32x32 sprites aren't implemented yet (explosions), etc. But the game is a fan favorite and the most requested arcade port for the SGM2. So there it is.

• Like 3