IGNORED

Anyone ever been threatened by Nintendo?

I routinely peruse the Reddit pages and on the 3ds one today a person claimed that they had played a 500 in one DS cartridge on their system twice. They then stated that they had received a communication from Nintendo threatening to ban them. I've literally been playing my 3ds for years modded with CFW, r4 flashcard and a couple multicarts, never had any issues. Is there any possibility that this guy is being truthful? I don't think so but what do you all think?

• Confused 3

That sounds really odd. If this guy is being truthful, then he probably received a fake message from some prankster.

When you play a standard DS game on a 3DS, the system boots into a standalone "DS Mode", and you have to reboot the system before you can go back to the 3DS menu. I have no idea how Nintendo could tell someone is using a bootleg DS cartridge!

• Like 1

Sounds to me like attention whoring.  They don't know what you're using on your system if you don't cheat it through the network.  Furthermore DS mode vs 3DS mode wouldn't have the ability in the slightest for Nintendo to detect that because DS games never were on the Nintendo Network, just that pre-halfassed network.  It's a classic reddit/anti nintendo attention whoring post to paint Nintendo as the evil assholes who attack anyone for anything shady.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Found it, he was fishing if you read more posts.  It's drama, that's it, total nonsense.

I figured that was what was going on. Irritates me to no end when people do that sort of thing. Spreads misinformation and then it becomes the , I heard it on the internet so it must be true type of thing. I've always figured that if Nintendo could have done that sort of thing they'd have chased down everyone who's ever had a rom and personally fined them for it! ?

• Like 2

I once tripped over an NES controller cable that got stuck on a chair leg as I was walking by, and ripped the 8 bit NES out from the cabinet... I faceplanted on the floor and the NES went airborne and hit me in the head as I laid on the ground. I felt very threatened. It was 1989... I was 11. I immediately got up and checked to make sure the NES was OK, and then apologized to it. It was a very abusive relationship... but in the end, I realized had been pushing his buttons... 

Edited by 82-T/A
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, my80chevette said:

I figured that was what was going on. Irritates me to no end when people do that sort of thing. Spreads misinformation and then it becomes the , I heard it on the internet so it must be true type of thing. I've always figured that if Nintendo could have done that sort of thing they'd have chased down everyone who's ever had a rom and personally fined them for it! ?

Yeah Nintendo seems to between the 3 big game console makers take by far largely the most abuse and misinformation when it comes to crack downs, etc.  It must be 5 years ago now, Nintendo realistically went after one site that had 2 domains of similar naming, LoveROMS I believe, domestic in nature, the dickweeds were not just hosting roms, they were CHARGING money to play them on their website, maybe the downloads too(not sure on this.)  Nintendo both sent them a C&D but also brought a court case against them for damages around selling Nintendos IP for public use.

Quickly the mentally challenged game of telephone began after one butthurt selfish site started to make up this pathologically full of crap story that Nintendo was cracking down on all known ROM websites and were doing C&Ds and looking to arrest people and press charges.  That story then freaked out some pretty impressive well loved sites who used it as an excuse to shut down entirely, or at least go deep level underground, namely EmuParadise and also The Pirate Bay.  They at least were honest enough from the misinformation they got to say that they feared Nintendo would target them next so they were closing up public downloads/shop and sorry, but we have to think of ourselves like outcome.  They ate the lie, then with those 2 well established primary source for ROMs shuttered, one which largely handled 1-2GB and under sized typically cart/disk type stuff, the other usually mass downloads, large DVD, BR style stuff going POOF raised all sorts of hell.  People just parroted how F'ing evil Nintendo was for their attacks, closing up places, having people charged, arrested, things seized... NONE of which happened.

Morons like that one with the DS multicart are just shit peddlers, and when it's done right, you get a huge snowball that takes a lot of stuff underground or down.  In other cases, the stupidity stays fairly contained, which that idiotic reddit story post should stay as.  He'd have to cook up some seriously fake documentation, then have the major gaming news outlets pick up on it, not research it, and just publish to get similar effect.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I got threatened by them a lot as a kid.  It was awful!

A few examples from that one time ---

•    "I'll teach you a lesson. You will fall down!" -- Von Kaiser
•    "I'll give you a TKO from Tokyo!" – Piston Honda
•    "This time I'm gonna charge right over you!" – Bald Bull
•    "I don't smoke... but tonight, I'm gonna smoke you!" – Super Macho Man

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah Nintendo seems to between the 3 big game console makers take by far largely the most abuse and misinformation when it comes to crack downs, etc.

Absolutely, also for C&D letters too. Recently someone here was afraid Nintendo would sue a guy making a Giana Sisters port on Atari 8-bit computers. You know, the game that was officially ported to the DS... ?

I also discovered a few months ago there's a form on Nintendo of America's web site to actually denounce piracy and copyright infringement. So I wouldn't be surprised if most of the C&D happens when a fanboy warns Nintendo about a fangame. Because I just don't see NoA lawyers browsing AtariAge to find homebrew ports of their games. ?

Edited by roots.genoa

Hah wow, seriously?  I had not seen that.  Yet another clear cut case of lies being pushed to scare people into hating on Nintendo when they've done nothing.  In the case of Giana like what, nothing in the last 30-35 years?  That case was long ago and it was some blatant stuff, and here we are years later(on DS) and stuff since where Giana is a Nintendo licensed title.

Lawyers cost money, even those on their payroll, so definitely...unless someone rats them out with screen captures, evidence, photos, etc they're not going to be flying all over the internet looking to set out legal letters by the truck load as it would get expensive.

• Like 1

I doubt it. Nintendo isn't doing much (or enough) about pirate ROM carts. You can literally buy loads of x-in one carts for nearly every console on Amazon right now, up to the 3ds (I think)

I can see Nintendo not caring about Sega master system collections for the, gba but the nes collections, or newer stuff for ds and 3ds, including among other things, Mario and Pokemon games (which Nintendo definitely still produce, use, and sell themselves) I'd think would be instantly pulled.

• 1 month later...

Yes.

They showed up at my door with this weird remote and simply said...

"We would like to play"

I closed the door. 

They knocked again.

They repeated the phrase again and I let them in.

Turns out it was Wii not We. It was fun.

The end.

Edited by sn8k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Keatah said:

Didn't Nintendo put the smackdown on some pixel-perfect mario port to the C64?

Yes, the "Super Mario C64" mostly was brought underground after it came to their attention. Same about the PC recompile of the N64 Mario game, to the extent that supposedly Nintendo demanded that even forum mentions that a such game existed had to be removed, plus of course all videos etc. Somehow those popped up again and I suppose after a while they realized this is a battle that can't be won.

• Thanks 1

Yeah they got mad about the Super Mario 64 far more than much of anything else I've seen people do, but given the proximity of that, and the years/months of planning into Super Mario 3D Allstars I can see why they'd get pissed off about it.

It didn't die or really go underground, it shifted to a discord channel Nintendo can't do crap about. I kept up with it for month seeing how it would further develop, but in the end, fluff and foo foo, I've kept the vanilla release as it works perfectly.  They did a hell of a job reverse engineering that thing and getting it setup as they did, just amazing.

I recall Nintendo having fits about people streaming or making videos about their games without first signing up with their "profit sharing program" a few years ago. Eventually they gave up on that one, but not before pissing the internet off for a few years. The internet thinks those years were (2015)-(2018).

But since I never viewed any of the N-branded games during the impacted period as "actually good," it was pretty easy to stay off their copyright claim list. [/end edgy, unpopular comment] I do still tend to really like their systems for the 3rd party titles, though. 

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Back in like 2012/2013, I got yelled at over the phone by a Nintendo Accounts rep regarding their old Club Nintendo program. Although, I do accept the blame as I was quite naive back then. It started one day when I found a YouTube video of a guy showing off his extensive Club Nintendo catalog collection. This dude had multiples upon multiples of like everything available. He explained that he'd go to a GameStop/Family Video/etc and ask the employees if he could take all of the Club Nintendo inserts with the code from all the preowned games in the store & advised most stores didn't have a problem with him doing this. Thus, he amassed a ridiculous amount of Club Nintendo points and used that to redeem for tons of physical merch and codes. So youthful (dumb) me decided to do the same.

For awhile, I did this without issue. I must have redeemed dozens of Wii Fit Club Nintendo codes alone in addition to other titles. I was able to get a good amount of physical reward goodies and codes for digital games galore. One of the last days before being blacklisted (wording Nintendo used for me), I ordered a Luigi's Mansion statuette and noticed that I got an email my order was cancelled or shipping was cancelled. Anyway, I called in to Nintendo (big mistake on my end) and the guy I spoke with basically started chewing me out and condescending like I was back in elementary school. "Redeeming multiple codes of the same game is strictly against TOS", and I will never be able to use that program again. He went on to tell me that just for calling in and asking, that they were going to invalidate all of my Wii U / 3DS download game codes. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense - but at the time I honestly didn't think it was breaking a rule as their site allowed me to redeem mutliple of the same game without any issue/warning/etc (if it were in the TOS, I would not have known as young college me didn't take the time to read the rules and conditions). That was a "fun" experience lol. 

Edited by XtalFlim
clarity

Wow, seems you deserved that one.  I remember that scam, always was laughing when people got nailed for that and it's been so long I forgot about it.

In a way it is also a reminder of a few things.

- Nintendo (insert game hardware maker) is NOT your friend

- Breaking the TOS has consequences

- Digital downloads are rental bullshit, this experience could have/can turn into having anything you ever redeemed erased.  Codes/stamps are one, but they can do it to games/full account ban losing $1000s of dollars

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

- Digital downloads are rental bullshit, this experience could have/can turn into having anything you ever redeemed erased.

Yes but people tend to forget physical games are not as definitive as people think they are. You own a copy of the game, not the game itself. So it's like buying a license that allows you to play that copy on a specific system. It doesn't give you the right to download the ROM or even dump the game yourself to play it on your phone, for instance, which most people don't know about.

• Like 1