IGNORED

838-PEB

Shift838

6 hours ago, Shift838 said:

I will only be selling the actual PCB, this way the user can decide on what ATX case and power supply they want to use.

I hope you will consider at least for a one time pre-order making a fully assembled unit, ready to have everything plugged in.

I got my prototype Momentary to Latch circuit in from oshpark over the weekend.  Put one together and it works great.  
image.jpg

This circuit changes the current PC On/Off momentary switch into a latching switch by sending a constant pulse via the 555 Timer to keep the power supply engaged.  Once pressed again and stops the timer and turns off the power supply.

I’ll be ordering a new test run of the 838-PEB board this week with the new modification and a correction.  

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 4

today I ordered a new set of prototype boards with my additions and corrections.

hopefully i will have them in my hand next couple of weeks.

If these become the final production version then I will have 3 units I can sell to some TI/Geneve owners.

• 2 weeks later...

I have received my 2nd batch of prototype boards and have put one together.  will be testing it later tonight and tomorrow.

An update to the latching timer circuit.  So, I pulled a couple of other ATX power supplies I had and out of 3 ATX power supplies the circuit works flawlessly on 1.  Works about 50% of the time on another and not at all on the 3rd one.  I think it will be much easier and less of a headache for the end user to replace their current momentary switch with a latching switch, it is super cheap and just takes a few minutes to do.

So, the new boards will not have the circuitry for the latching timer, but I will be adding the respective connections if someone wants to design one.  The connections will be on a header for PS-ON# and POWER-OK, +5v STANDBY and GROUND.  Probably a couple of mount holes as well if someone decides to do a board or if I work it out later.

I have tested the rear and front board USB ports to verify it provides power and powers up my TiPi.  I have also tested the front USB 3.0 ports to verify they do provide power.

More testing and post results tomorrow.

Here is a photo..

IMG_0553.thumb.JPG.9629ce9058712c597841f50465e5dc13.JPG

• Like 1

I have made a video explaining what is on the new 838-PEB as well as a short demonstration of it working.

It's almost 28 minutes long between both videos that I combined.

I have posted it on my YouTube channel link below.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I received the latest update to my 838-PEB board which is going to be the final production version!  yup you read right..  Will be releasing the preorder soon.

Here are a couple of new videos showing it off.

838-PEB Part 1 (Introduction and board explanation)
https://youtu.be/Kap86ksHbUE

838-PEB Part 2 (this is the demonstration of it working)
https://youtu.be/xh1Mq1HeC8M

Please remember this board is designed to be put into a ATX case of your choosing.

If you choose to use your current 838-IOP card please make sure that you can plug the cable into the card and the PC Case will allow enough room.  I have designed a new 838-IOP for use with a ATX Mid Tower to allow for this.  Some full towers may work without needing this redesigned (shorter) card.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have a Geneve, tipi, speech, HFDC, cc FDC, Myarc 512 k modified for Geneve, scsi, and the HRD400B+. The PI 4 has no issues with wireless Wi-Fi and I have the pi on a 1 TB drive that Chris recommended.  I have a single power cable to the PEBox. 

The system is setup with the scant cabling. 

Chris found appropriate cables for the keyboard and Geneve along with a pi network cable extension to the exterior of the case if I needed it. 

I have the drem visible in a bay, and a scsi2sd mounted inside the case not accessible.   I have a 5.25” drive installed and have a 3.5” drive on order to install. 

I do have two issues.  There seems to be some kind of small interference the speakers pick up and this interference also has a small impact on video quality. I think it is equivalent to an older monitor, but with my scart monitor, it is not as crisp as it once was.

Things are tight, but they all fit in the case.

As the unit runs so quiet and you do not hear the fan, you have to make absolutely sure you have the unit off before pulling cards. I did not damage anything and I got very lucky.

Beery

• 4 months later...

I just got my PC case and ordered some more Motherboard stand offs so I can mount the 838-PEB board in the PC case.

It would be great if I know how to mount the TI CARD SLOT brackets included with the 838-PEB board into the PC case.

Not a hardware guy so a pic or video would really help.

5 hours ago, RXB said:

I just got my PC case and ordered some more Motherboard stand offs so I can mount the 838-PEB board in the PC case.

It would be great if I know how to mount the TI CARD SLOT brackets included with the 838-PEB board into the PC case.

i'll get a few shots taken and get them posted tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RXB said:

Here are some photos of the mounting rails installed in a new case.

I have been using M3 x 8mm screws to mount in the standoffs that line up with the board mounting holes.  The front of the rail system (nearest the bottom of the case) you will need to put in 2 standoffs to mount.  This side is for the front of the PEB cards.

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

• Like 3

Did you drill your own mounting standoff mounts and tap them yourself?

I bought the VSK-3000 PC case as we tried twice to order the VSK-4000 PC case you recommended, and it was cancelled by Amazon.

Any way looking at your set up the holes on the board do not line up for that configuration you have.

VSK3000E U3 is the Best New PC Mini Tower Case with Micro-ATX/1 x 92mm Fan - Antec

2 hours ago, RXB said:

Did you drill your own mounting standoff mounts and tap them yourself?

I bought the VSK-3000 PC case as we tried twice to order the VSK-4000 PC case you recommended, and it was cancelled by Amazon.

Any way looking at your set up the holes on the board do not line up for that configuration you have.

VSK3000E U3 is the Best New PC Mini Tower Case with Micro-ATX/1 x 92mm Fan - Antec

The mounting holes all linked up for the VSK-4000 case.  I placed the mounting holes on the board with the exact locations as a micro-ATX board to ensure they would line up.  I tested it in 3 different ATX cases that also have the mounting holes for a Micro-ATX board.

3 hours ago, RXB said:

Well I guess I wasted my money on this project:

Shift838 posted some great photos in the post above of the orientation and layout of the board and rails. I hope the PeB board will mount into the case you have, but It looks like the case you have, the VSK3000E-U3, does NOT have the holes that you are looking for to mount the bottom rail guide assembly as does the VSK4000E-U3.  It looks like you will have to drill the holes into the case.

My communication skills are weak so I hope these photos night help you.

VSK3000E-U3
only 1 hole along bottom
  2110665603_3000(2).thumb.jpg.a5a65d987f30d783e3dccd3df1abbcb6.jpg

VSK4000E-U3 
3 holes with 2 standoffs in corners on bottom  
4000.thumb.JPG.9b1e1cd9ef5c4b769dc4a6b814e2e8c0.JPG

2135322924_lmountholeatbottom.thumb.jpg.c87e1b3b745b03bcdb3c3ad1949c884b.jpg

This is the bottom of my case, I removed the existing standoffs,  then I had to extend the brackets and print longer ones by at least a ½ inch.  I think that you will either need longer brackets for the bottom rail assembly or figure some sort of a 1/2 “ length extension.

1817896169_longlegs1.thumb.jpg.00ce57769b2f61d216308c2ffe6f7285.jpg

1679191352_lproopermountingorientation.thumb.jpg.d2059b5058165ee1960abc66cac62f5c.jpg

This Is what my 838PEB looks like at the moment.

1441067557_l838PEB.thumb.jpg.4abe18c691b6cef47c9434154086fb4a.jpg

Good luck, I hope this helps somebody somewhere...

:) jim

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RXB said:

Maybe... :(  on a case anyway.

It may not fit into the VSK3000E-U3, I don't know

VSK3000E-U3  -15.5 x 6.8 x 14.4 inches

VSK4000E-U3  17.3 x 7.3 x 16.2 inches

it's pretty tight in the 4000E

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RXB said:

image.thumb.jpeg.05be6cf56ff2a64db089bfcb0bde6945.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8189c700f9fdfbd12062b2431639fad8.jpeg

Ok turned the 838=PEB board 90 so I can put in the rail guides and guess what?

image.thumb.jpeg.48ccc2a3c0d38731a0869701a345958a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.9539d313841c81bbd0197f1b4b2ec15d.jpeg

You have the peb board wrong.  the RJ45 ports need to go where the cutout for the PC ports are.  rotate it right..

• Like 1