IGNORED

Some of these modern educational games are great

Cobra Kai

We're along way from Cookie Monster Munch! I've played Valiant Hearts, and now Wulver Blade. Both of these games expertly weave history into competent gameplay,  with a superb infusion of historical background. Are there more of these out there I should explore?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

We're along way from Cookie Monster Munch! I've played Valiant Hearts, and now Wulver Blade. Both of these games expertly weave history into extremely competent gameplay, interwoven with a superb infusion of historical background. Are there more of these out there I should explore?

th?id=OVP.HL9XIvstEXrOm9pucrEgBgHgFo%26p

th?id=OVP.MUkGGAD7B4CxqxdGAwf_kAHgFo%26p

Not sure, but I've heard about these. I haven't played them though.

Edited the OP to add videos. For some reason my original links just put an image.

Valiant Hearts is a strategy/adventure-ish game. Basically you run around and solve various puzzles. It's not really very difficult, you spend  much time looking for hidden items that usually have some story associated with it, kind of like in the modern Tomb Raider games after you find a relic. It's definitely a  game where the journey is what is important as the story unfolds along the way, and there's a lot of great stuff going on in the background. The music is very dramatic too.

Wulver Blade is an amazing beat-em-up, and the characters are based on ancient Britain. There's a ton of classic beat-em-up action in this, anyone familiar with the 1990's games like this will feel very comfortable playing this game. Again, there's a great story going on here as well, with item pick-ups that usually have an unlockable essay to read, or sometimes even video footage of locations that the game takes place in. Extremely well done.

If you have a Switch, there is educational software on the eshop called Calculator. It is excellent for use for both school and work purposes and is therefore highly recommended by me for both children and adults.

There is also apparently also one called Battle Calculator now, as well, in case you need to battle while calculating.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Wulver Blade is an amazing beat-em-up, and the characters are based on ancient Britain. There's a ton of classic beat-em-up action in this, anyone familiar with the 1990's games like this will feel very comfortable playing this game. Again, there's a great story going on here as well, with item pick-ups that usually have an unlockable essay to read, or sometimes even video footage of locations that the game takes place in. Extremely well done.

Love me some beat-em-ups.  Will have to check this out sometime, quite possibly when I get my Steam Deck.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

We're along way from Cookie Monster Munch! I've played Valiant Hearts, and now Wulver Blade. Both of these games expertly weave history into extremely competent gameplay, interwoven with a superb infusion of historical background. Are there more of these out there I should explore?

I played Valiant Hearts and really liked it.  A game described as similar to me is 11-11 Memories Retold.  With the numbers and "-" in the title, it makes it kind of a hard game to search for, but I purchased it in a recent Steam sale (have yet to try it out).

Added Wulver Blade to my wishlist based on this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

There is also apparently also one called Battle Calculator now, as well, in case you need to battle while calculating.

I can't imagine a scenario where I would NOT need to battle while calculating.  Rough neighborhood....

Even though I couldn't get into the last 2 (modern envisioning of the franchise) I've always loved the historical bits and info provided in the Assassin's Creed games.  

On 8/5/2021 at 7:33 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

If you have a Switch, there is educational software on the eshop called Calculator. It is excellent for use for both school and work purposes and is therefore highly recommended by me for both children and adults.

Wait -- isn't it just a calculator program on the Switch?

I must admit that I can't think of a single use case for buying a calculator program to run on the Switch.

• Like 1

For a brain exercises, Letter Quest is good fun for spelling words and has RPG mechanics to make it more exciting.

If you are interested in more historical games, I would recommend Verdun and Tannenberg (PC, Xbox, PS) which are authentic WW1 shooters.  Although they don't put as much historical info directly in the game, they are all based on real historical battles, with real weapons/uniforms and the like.  Even the name of the game Tannenberg, I was like "what is this about?" and decided read up on it.  The battles are quite fascinating to me and they are fun to play as well.

• Like 2

I thought of another game in this category.  Human Resource Machine teaches you the basics of procedural programming and you don't even realize you are doing it.  Ok well . . . eventually you do, but it really is a game and educational tool wrapped into one.  Check it out here:  https://store.steampowered.com/app/375820/Human_Resource_Machine/

On 8/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, DavidD said:

Wait -- isn't it just a calculator program on the Switch?

I must admit that I can't think of a single use case for buying a calculator program to run on the Switch.

That post of mine is an example of that thing known as a joke...

Edited by Steven Pendleton

As a kid, I'm pretty sure I learned more from Sid Meier's Pirates than I did from the entirety of the "Edutainment" industry.

These sound like the same kind of deal where there you get your history and geography wrapped in an actual game, rather than the "munch the right answer" style of the overtly educational titles.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

As a kid, I'm pretty sure I learned more from Sid Meier's Pirates than I did from the entirety of the "Edutainment" industry.

These sound like the same kind of deal where there you get your history and geography wrapped in an actual game, rather than the "munch the right answer" style of the overtly educational titles.

Yep - I can find all the islands on a map because of this game.  Once I was hooked on the game, I read the manual and learned even more about specific Pirates and their expeditions.

@Reaperman Same here too, not that game, never got into pirate games.  Civiliation for Win (the original, with all the history popups about all sorts of stuff) did it, as did the Challenge of the Ancient Empires game I linked before in that video days back.  I've picked up a few good learning examples from multiple games, those 2 though stand out as the most obvious though given the depths of history they scratch.

I'm sure you probably could find some poor kid somewhere who did end up with DK Jr Math that played it and learned a few basic equations. ;)  I know for certain KOEI did a good job of it, if you (I can see it being hard for kids, teens, adults not so much) got into their war simulations (Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Nobunaga's Ambitions, Liberty or Death, etc.)