IGNORED

Have Two Commodore Modems! What can I do with them?

As part of my most recent vintage haul I came across two Commodore modems for the VIC-20/C64, and I was wondering what, if anything, they could be good for?

One is a "VICMODEM Telephone Interface Cartridge Model 1600", the other is a "Commodore Modem/300 Model 1660".  I know absolutely nothing about them, nor do I have a land line, but I was curious what modern uses there are for them?  Can I interface them in some other way over a modern (Ethernet) network?  I've never had anything that made use of my user ports before, is there a way to test them without a phone line?

I just have a ton of questions and would love to learn all that I can.

Realistically, not much.  1600 is a collector's piece, as it's not a full modem (it does the 300 bps modem part, but not the dialing and on/off hook part that most folks consider part of the modem operation).  1660 is a non standard 300 bps modem.  Neither work without a land line (or simulator), and a rs232 adapter and tcpser or a WifiModem would be far more enjoyable to use.

Jim

This is probably a no, but can these be used to communicate with each other directly, or through an old telephone (absent a landline or a dial tone)?  And if I had another 1600 or 1660, could I send information over a telephone cable (modem to modem) that could be received by another Commodore computer?  

1 hour ago, Bee said:

I'm not sure I want to spend that much to test a couple of $5 modems...  Still, It's really interesting.  I wonder if I could use it to network all of my modem enabled computers (can I get my VIC-20s to talk to my G3 iMac)?  

1 hour ago, brain said:

1600 is a collector's piece, as it's not a full modem

I looked into that just now, and you're right!  Apparently I need an old corded telephone and directly plug the modem into the receiver instead of the handset, which makes me wonder if I hooked up a handset to the 1600, could I hear it through the speaker?

59 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Play SYSOP vs USER by setting up your own BBS and then calling it.

Which modem would be the best modem for the server end?

I don't know anything about commie modems. But I've never met a modem that wouldn't work with the poor-man's POTS simulator. A simple circuit you can build that uses a capacitor and resistor and 9v battery. It's on the internet. Modems don't really use the power, but they expect it to be present. A way to detect things a-happening.

In the Apple II world I was able cajole an Apple Cat II and Hayes MicroModem II to connect with each other, and even those famed USR 3453C external jobbers.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I bought my ringdown to do a full demo of how computers used to talk.  While often a battery will work, you kinda have to know how to use the modems already to do it.  The ringdown allows me to have may atari 8 bit call the atari 16 bit, screeching and all & I can pick up the handset to ring my wife from the workshop.  It started for me when she wanted an old school dial phone just to have it.  She was surprised when it rang and worked.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 11:02 PM, Bee said:

Wow, thanks for pointing this device out! I was looking for some way to do this a while back and was going to end up buying something more expensive. This will do the trick it seems!

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:49 PM, Keatah said:

But I've never met a modem that wouldn't work with the poor-man's POTS simulator. A simple circuit you can build that uses a capacitor and resistor and 9v battery. It's on the internet.

Perhaps you could provide a link to this?  I'm having trouble finding it.

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

https://mumris.eu/SP2.htm

You could likely use a couple of those small 12V batteries for the 24V indicated.  As I have seen a similar circuit running on a 9V battery, I assume one should work here.

Thanks!!! ? 

The next question is: Can I get the two modems I have to talk to each other, or do I need extra equipment?

Edited by DistantStar001