IGNORED

How many of you are enjoying 5200 Asteroids nowadays since Paul Lay (playsoft) has finally fixed it???

BIGHMW

11 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I’ve always used my Starplex controller with all versions (2600, 7800 & 5200) of Asteroids, but I’ll try these out as well.  If you have a Masterplay or clone, the Starplex controller will work just fine. There’s not a better controller (IMO) to simulate the coin-op gameplay.

Starplex controllers are tough to find nowadays hopefully maybe the good folks over at RetroGameBoyz.com can come up with a similar controller, much like this one that was frequently advertised in Electronic Games magazine all the time from a company known as Questar, they made ones with just buttons (similar to the Starplex) and one with a joystick and a fire button in a console form, you know, something like this:

questar_ad.jpg

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Starplex controllers are tough to find nowadays hopefully maybe the good folks over at RetroGameBoyz.com can come up with a similar controller, much like this one that was frequently advertised in Electronic Games magazine all the time from a company known as Questar, they made ones with just buttons (similar to the Starplex) and one with a joystick and a fire button in a console form, you know, something like this:

questar_ad.jpg

That Questar controller is even harder to find.  I’ve always wanted one for my collection, but whenever they’ve shown up, they’ve been pretty pricey.  Love the decal on that controller. ?

• Like 2

Just now, sramirez2008 said:

That Questar controller is even harder to find.  I’ve always wanted one for my collection, but whenever they’ve shown up, they’ve been pretty pricey. 

Well hopefully RetroGameBoyz.com will come up with something similar to it if we speak maybe they will build one, the guys make to order they even have a 3-D printer so they can print up cases for them and of course they can build one using their same fire buttons they use on their existing controllers, I bought a custom 5200 joystick controller in which I love and I will be premiering the video for it later on tonight (I filmed it earlier this month, I just need to come up with a new end tag closing promo, one that covers all 3) for my videos for all 3 of my YouTube channels, then I can upload it right here on AA.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's still a minor glitch that could use some TLC. This in Altirra. The button to select the number of players and patrol/combat seems laggy. Not always responding. And the # of players cycles through weirdly.

..and only then can I get back to 1-player. Similar happens with Bounce, fast/slow, and type of defense like shield/flip/hyperspace. It's just the menu stuff  that's slow or erratic. In-game play is fine.

9 hours ago, Keatah said:

There's still a minor glitch that could use some TLC. This in Altirra. The button to select the number of players and patrol/combat seems laggy. Not always responding. And the # of players cycles through weirdly.

..and only then can I get back to 1-player. Similar happens with Bounce, fast/slow, and type of defense like shield/flip/hyperspace. It's just the menu stuff  that's slow or erratic. In-game play is fine.

I also notice that as well, but it is also apparent on the 8-bit original version as well, I checked my version on my XEGS to confirm that.

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

Which is apparent on the 8-bit original? The intermittency/lag of the selection? Or the number pattern?

The intermittency/lag. As for the menu I am a 5200 guy so I wouldn't know what keys do what on pretty much any program.

On 9/12/2021 at 6:13 PM, BIGHMW said:

questar_ad.jpg

Those look cool. 

Would be cool on Star Island. 

#fortheH

• Like 2

You know I wonder if maybe Paul @playsoft might perhaps be willing to re-port the improved defense version included in this post back to the 8-bit so that 8-bit owners can also enjoy that significant edge having that instant response from the defensive modes as opposed to having to wait a half-a-second to warp into hyperspace/throw up shields/flip over. They don't have that one yet, perhaps maybe they should.

Asteroids - 8-Bit Conversion - Improved Defense.bin

Edited by BIGHMW

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 11:22 PM, BIGHMW said:

...and really the only difference now between this new and improved 5200 version and the 1982 5200 prototype is the copyright message (where it says "(c)1981 ATARI") on the 8-bit version, that and the defensive options actually work on the re-ports, but other than that that's it. I can't wait to hear from many of you on this and find out what your favorite 5200 version is.

I'm a big proponent of @playsoft adding his user name to any credits for any game he ports and/or improves for the 5200 [or A8, or 7800, etc]. He deserves to receive credit each time the game loads so everyone can see it. I even told him that when he ported Slime to the 5200 a few years back.

Just as a joke, I'd love to see the copyright notice include a 2021 to "Atari" or whatever Infogrames is calling itself at the moment. Atari Interactive? Atari Yo Mamma?

Speaking of modern stuff, I'd like to see Breakout Boost made for the classic Atari consoles. I think "Atari" did a really good job with the contract on that property being made for iOS. I might be compelled to say I prefer it to Arkanoid.

• Like 1