IGNORED

C64 game suggestions for an Atari 800XL enthusiast?

ldelsarte

14 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

As a rule of thumb, titles out on the Atari and then ported to the C64 are not much better, many much worse but there are some cracking system only ones... Have fun, and ignore Emkay, he has no clue...

Very true. Yoomp! Has been ported to the C64, the A8 version craps all over it. The gameplay isn't even the same on the C64 version, it's too easy.

Also agreed regarding the end of your comment.

• Thanks 1

Myself, I wouldn't bother with many games listed here, such as B.A.T, Lucasarts/Cinemaware games, Supremacy, Turrican, Midnight Resistance, etc, since they really are better served on 16 bit machines. But if OP only wants to stick to 8-bit hardware, then sure, they can be fun there too.

Not sure what "Piracy" is, but I do hope it was meant to be "Pirates!". Any C64-recommended thread without it is rather barren :) And that version is actually as good as it gets re: gameplay, I don't really like all the prettier ones.

Two pretty good modern games I bought recently were Millie & Molly and ZetaWing. Also wanted to get Monstro Giganto, which looks stunning (PETSCII rocks), but heard it's not that great in single player.

Edited by youxia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Geezus! Really?

Is it selling well?

Sadly, yes really, when you log on to steam there's a video to go with the game. It's an FPS (shooter...Lol)

My daughter was on a reddit thread where people were talking about toxic stuff on the next and someone posted a link to the game.. Pretty toxic..There are days I worry about my daughter, she's taken on a little bit too much of my humour :)

• Haha 1

Just now, Mclaneinc said:

Sadly, yes really, when you log on to steam there's a video to go with the game. It's an FPS (shooter...Lol)

My daughter was on a reddit thread where people were talking about toxic stuff on the next and someone posted a link to the game.. Pretty toxic..There are days I worry about my daughter, she's taken on a little bit too much of my humour :)

I know that feeling. I have to watch my Daughter on Discord...

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ldelsarte said:

I am a very loyal Atari 8-bit fan with cubic meters of hardware, kits, boxes and software. However, out of curiosity, I also have a TI99/4A, Apple IIe (& platinum), CBS ColecoVision (& all the add-ons), very old MS-DOS laptops, and ... since very recently, I got cheaply 2x C64, 1x C128, a 1541 drive. I bought a Kung Fu Flash cartridge (very handy)

I know the Atari 8-bit games very well, I've been playing with my 800XL since I was 13, in 1984. And I still play today thanks to my FujiNet to Boulder Dash, Montezuma's revenge, The Goonies, Burger Time, Mr TNT, Drop zone, Bruce Lee, Galaxian, The Great American Cross-Country Road Race, etc, etc. But the C64 is brand new to me. I don't know where to start the exploration.
I'm just looking for some advice: if you are familiar with Atari 8-bit and C64 games, which C64 games do I really need to play?
Good C64 games that don't exist on the Atari 8-bit...

Good C64 games that are really better made than their Atari 8-bit counterpart... (the opposite also exists, I know some)...

Do you have any suggestions for me?

After this escapade, I promise, the Commodore hardware will be back in the basement. ;-)

BLASPHEMER! Buuuuuuuuuuuurn!

;)

I have to admit, I have a bunch of old sinclair zx-80/81 stuff lying around. Never had a commodore, though.

2 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Yoomp! Has been ported to the C64, the A8 version craps all over it.

Well then, we'll play Yoomp! on Atari 8-bit and Micro Hexagon on C64. Both games enjoyable on their own merits, and both games to some part implemented using hardware specific features that the other micro not easily can replicate.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:
2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Not a game, but probably the closest match you'll get:  https://csdb.dk/release/?id=16336

Lol...Had not seen that!!

Got in a lot of trouble at a friend's house for a similar BBS download for Atari.  It was the first time I'd seen a modem - a 1030 running on his 1200XL.  I think it was a BASIC demo, black background - just a guy sitting on a park bench starting slow and speeding up.  Never was able to find it again.

• Thanks 1

Bard's Tale has already been mentioned. Back then, people lost years in school playing it.

Amiga version's even better though (same goes for "Great Giana Sisters"); and there's an awesome PC remake of Bard's Tale.

I'd like to add to the list:

Wizball
Ultima 3, 4 (the Atari version was somehow black and white (wtf)?)
Barbarian (Palace Software)

Slapfight (!)

Alien Syndrome

Better Dead than Alien

Xenon

Edited by Pokeypy
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, thanks for the hint. There was a checkbutton "Artifacts" in the GTIA-settings of the GUI of the emulator "atari++". With that checked, the colors work.

Next problem is the large number of game disks. Have to check, if the game accepts multiple disk drives.

I'm not playing original Ultima anyway, as I prefer Euotopia on the PC, to which I'm addicted for several years now (which isn't only a good thing, so it's not something, I would recommend).

Edited by Pokeypy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, emkay said:

What is the point of this comment exactly!

I was answering the question?

"C64 game suggestions for an Atari 800XL enthusiast?"

In what way was it answering the question? Do you think we are still in the school playground and you need to be "clever" or diss the other computers in some way. I suppose if I asked for suggestions for Apple II games, you'd tell me there aren't any because the Apple II hasn't got any dedicated sprite hardware.

• Like 3