IGNORED

C64 game suggestions for an Atari 800XL enthusiast?

ldelsarte

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

Well then, we'll play Yoomp! on Atari 8-bit and Micro Hexagon on C64. Both games enjoyable on their own merits, and both games to some part implemented using hardware specific features that the other micro not easily can replicate.

I don't think I've ever played Micro Hexagon, might have to go searching for it... :)

Yoomp! on the C64 is alright, I just prefer the A8 version.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ely said:

In what way was it answering the question?

Just in THE direct way.

44 minutes ago, Ely said:

Do you think we are still in the school playground and you need to be "clever" or diss the other computers in some way. I suppose if I asked for suggestions for Apple II games, you'd tell me there aren't any because the Apple II hasn't got any dedicated sprite hardware.

Not sure what you did in School. Back then we didn't have computers at school. 

And, well, If you asked for Apple II games you might have get a different answer. 

I also did add, why I wrote this. 

If people like to play C64 games within the C64 bias, it's ok. 

But, till today there is NO game on the C64 that is as impressive as Rescue on Fractalus . 

Good games need a good CPU for gameplay. 

Better games than on the Atari 800 , with a lot of sprites, great music, and a real interactive and responsive gameplay, you only get using 16 bit CPUs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xxl said:

nirvana will reign in the forum as soon as everyone is on your list.

Just those that fall into the category of misinformed fanboi's. No great loss in the grand scale of things.

I prefer to read posts from grown adults that don't still hold school yard grudges like it's 1983.

10 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Sadly, yes really, when you log on to steam there's a video to go with the game. It's an FPS (shooter...Lol)

My daughter was on a reddit thread where people were talking about toxic stuff on the next and someone posted a link to the game.. Pretty toxic..There are days I worry about my daughter, she's taken on a little bit too much of my humour :)

For a moment after reading the title, I thought "oh, okay, it's a sim of some English town like Barking or Dorking. What's wrong with that?" :P

Next up for debate: Infocom: better on the A8 or the C64?

I will say that I always hated the Commodore brand Infocom packaging. It just looked so cheap, and that was a particular slap in the face by a brand known for its packaging. 

Then again the C64 got that massive lot of, what -- five games? -- after Infocom stopped supporting the A8 after Plundered Hearts was released. I would've traded Fooblitzky for a port of the rest of their text adventures to the A8. It couldn't have been that difficult.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I will say that I always hated the Commodore brand Infocom packaging. It just looked so cheap, and that was a particular slap in the face for a brand known for its packaging. 

Then again the C64 got that massive lot of, what -- five games? -- after Infocom stopped supporting the A8 after Plundered Hearts was released. I would've traded Fooblitzky for a port of the rest of their text adventures to the A8. It couldn't have been that difficult.

Was Zork an Infocom game? I thought the Zork packaging looked OK.

I found a version of Zork that runs purely from the REU, so no disk loading. That's pretty cool.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Was Zork an Infocom game? I thought the Zork packaging looked OK.

I found a version of Zork that runs purely from the REU, so no disk loading. That's pretty cool.

Oy. That's like saying that Lord of the Rings is a fantasy novel. :)

The great fun of playing Infocom -- especially with the Zork and Enchanter series (Wishbringer included) -- is how meta it all gets in the end: no matter what game you're playing, there's usually some reference to the Greater Zorkiverse. And the packaging is superb: if you don't play it with the "feelies", you're missing out on half of the experience. I actually charged that glow rock that came with Wishbringer in the sun and used it as a night...rock at night. Awesome stuff.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

The great fun of playing Infocom -- especially with the Zork and Enchanter series (Wishbringer included) -- is how meta it all gets in the end. And the packaging is superb: if you don't play it with the "feelies", you're missing out on half of the experience. I actually charged that glow rock that came with Wishbringer in the sun and used it as a night...rock at night. Awesome stuff.

Very true... ;)

• Like 1

I owned a nice C64 and 1541 set for a few years which I had bought from the first user.

I got a lot of floppies from a good friend, and the only game (insanely) that stood out for me was Space Taxi.

Don’t know why, I just loved the sillynes of the game and it was fun to play. Not sure why no-one has converted it to A8 yet, would be “easy” IMHO.

in the end….I realised I’d never love that bread bin and sold it on…..

never understood all the fuss about Impossible Mission….yeah the graphics were impressive, but the game….meh.

Edited by Level42

18 minutes ago, Level42 said:

never understood all the fuss about Impossible Mission….yeah the graphics were impressive, but the game….meh.

Be thankful you never got all the way to the end only to be crushed by the poor ending. I thought the game was OK, from memory it was one of the first games to feature digitized sound (or was that Ghostbusters?).

I loved the Lucasarts SCUMM engined games, they were great.

3 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

There was also Melbourne House's "The Hobbit" for the C64 (great graphics adventure game).

And there also were three parts of a LotR text adventure game, but they weren't nearly as famous / successful.

Edited by Pokeypy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Slapfight, eek, awful conversion..

Well, I just saw it at a friend on his C64 and liked it.

Much later I saw, there was also a ZX Spectrum version - which wasn't as good though.

So, from where was it converted? From an arcade machine? If so, I never came across the original.

To me, Slapfight is a C64 game. Actually, it's kind of the "only C64 game". Because almost all others, I can play in versions for other computers (Spectrum, Atari and Amiga - the ones, I had back then). So basically, I have also the Vice emulator installed just for Slapfight. And maybe "Impossible Mission".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Level42 said:

Impossible Mission makes an amazing impression with its speech synthesis and character animation.

A somersault made like Mark Hamill in Star Wars also did a job for the kid.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Just those that fall into the category of misinformed fanboi's. No great loss in the grand scale of things.

Misinformed fanboy? This only could belong to any C64 freak. 

Most "impressive" looking games on the C64 might look like 16 bit by the given resolution, but if the player doesn't recognize the very low movement details and response in games like Out Run, a "very  bias" must be activated. 

I'd prefer to jump to the real stuff on the Amiga.