IGNORED

Darkside Detective and Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark (in VCS Store)

marss

An interesting looking game.  It's a shame that Atari does not promote or build any excitement for any of the releases.  I wish they would send out some social media blurbs or something so we know they are coming.  A month ahead, two weeks ahead, one week ahead.  Just requires some social media blasts.

• Like 3

This is actually quite fun and I normally don't play point and click. Recommend trying it out if you're curious. 

Also, since I've already seen the "this game is from 2017..." complaint elsewhere: Yes, the first title is from 2017. The sequel was released in April 2021. It's nice that they brought out both titles in the series for those that have not yet played the first game. 

I bought this earlier this morning. There were two that I saw available... I bought what I think was the first one, and then I'll buy the second one after I've made a bit more progress on the other one. Game is absolutely fantastic. I'm a busy guy, and don't really have a lot of time to play games anymore... so I like games that are fun, challenging, but not something that'll make me put the game down because I don't have the time to invest. This definitely seems like something of a pace that I can get into... definitely awesome.

The ONLY thing I don't like about it, is the dynamic that the Detective and the Officer have. I'm not in law enforcement, but I thought it was relatively understood by most people that a detective will almost always outrank the uniformed officer in a case. The vast majority of detectives (all that I'm aware of) have generally been uniformed patrol officers themselves at one time. They get outranked by the police chief, or the district chief of course, etc... but still... in a case like this, the uniformed officer would be referring to the detective as sir and taking orders from him... not cracking jokes. Otherwise though, totally awesome so far... 

There is a whole lot about this game that is critical of law enforcement in general, although usually in service of a goofy joke. I noticed there is a setting about police corruption in the options; i will have to try re-running a scene with it toggled off. 

The game is fun, and there's a lot of game there. Probably 6-10+ solid hours of point and click adventuring. So far I've put in about fourish actual game time hours and I am half way through the first game. If you like this kind of game, this is an exceptional one. If you hate point and click inventory puzzle games, best avoid this one. The difficulty is pretty easy overall, but still has a few of the "gotchas" of this kind of game in terms of not finding the way to progress occasionally.

• Like 2

Looks like I’ll need to boot into the Atari OS and download these games!. It’s been a while since I’ve played a point and click style game, the last ones I played where Myst and Hell if I recall both older games on my old PowerMac so something more modern like these games are a must have even if I add them to the backlog for now. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

I've never been into point and click games before but this was a blast. Got back to the final case after a few busy days. First game clear! 

If you're curious, I highly recommend trying at least the first title in the series. 

IMG_20210820_081119999~2.jpg

You are ahead of me, I am stuck on Buy Hard. Might have to use a walkthrough for the 2nd time. First time was in Tome Alone I think where I had to click on a window...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mockduck said:

The Darkside Detective video review by me, in short I really liked this game. It was quite easy relative to what some of these kind of games can be like. Has a goofy light tone and short story style presentation.

Great review! "airport novel" ... haha... could totally relate.

• Like 1