IGNORED

838 - IO Card (Flex Interface card replacement!)

Shift838

Unrelated, but could you also make a new io board for the PEB? 

Once you get inside the box they are really easy to remove, just screws and 4 power wires. But these sockets are getting worn out on my PEB.

Unless you are working on something related to this, maybe a PS and case? 

Could you imagine, a new black exciting looking PEB?

I'll do the survey now. Thx

Edited by GDMike

I have considered designing a replacement PEB system, and think having these available would greatly simplify matters.

(The insides of the PEB are basically just a PSU (with somewhat odd choices of voltages), and a dumb backplane.  The magic part is the IO board and sidecar interface, which this project supplies)

All I would need to make, is a backplane that accepts an ATX power supply, and has some beefy boost DC-DC transformers to supply the needed voltages from the ATX-motherboard rails-- the rest is just enclosure design.

Not that I ever expect to get further than just brainstorming mind, but this is the majority of any hard work for a PEB replacement project.

• Like 1

My phone acting up again... but I wanted to reply, and say..we might need to plug in another PEB from a master if we keep making cards.. what cards are a need at this point..

TIPI, speech? Interface, I still use floppy controller too

16 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

Brainstorming

Edited by GDMike

The issue I see with that, is that you will have signals that exceed the clock time allowed. (Bus transceiver delays compounded, between the replacement FlexIO, and the bridge connecting the two backplanes, both of which would need the transceivers)

It would be better just to offer a larger peb box. Maybe one that is double sided. (A tower design, with a central board, and card slots mounted on both sides).

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 12:13 PM, webdeck said:

It's a little late in the game for me to be tossing out ideas, but this does seem like the ideal place to add a reset switch and a load interrupt switch for the console, rather than modding the console or a speech synth.

so, i remembered this topic this morning about using the sideport to be able to connect a reset was discussed a while ago.  After some search I found it.  This does not appear to be a viable solution without possible messing something up on our aging machines.

That's a cool demo and very nice project you have going there.

I would like to make a small suggestion regarding the 3D printed case; I would not print the "32K" badge on there, but keep it more general.

What if at a later time, you e.g. decide to make a SAMS card that fits into that formfactor. That happened to me with the TIPI side printed case, where it says 32K, but I have a 1MB sams in there and don't feel getting/printing a new case because of the logo.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, retroclouds said:

That's a cool demo and very nice project you have going there.

I would like to make a small suggestion regarding the 3D printed case; I would not print the "32K" badge on there, but keep it more general.

What if at a later time, you e.g. decide to make a SAMS card that fits into that formfactor. That happened to me with the TIPI side printed case, where it says 32K, but I have a 1MB sams in there and don't feel getting/printing a new case because of the logo.

Good suggestion. 

• Like 1

So, I am thinking of selling the 3 Revisions A I currently have.

I have 2 built that I am using and enough parts to build another 3 that can include:

838-IO Plus PEB card

838-IO Plus Sideport card

(both above are needed to function)

838-32k Optional Expansion

I also have 4.5 foot cables ready and of course can print a 3D printed case. which takes about 9 hours!

contact me via PM to discuss pricing and options you want, otherwise they will be added to my store..

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...