IGNORED

The next best NEW TI game!

oddemann

Are you ready for a challenge?

I have seen 10 line games being made, games made by individuals and remakes. There are programming wiz's, hardware makes and lots of creativity here! Also inspired by the "mouse-maze-challenge"!

What if some of the people got together to make a NEW game for the TI. I was looking at a Donkey Kong "remix" kind of a thing for the DS system. And it got me thinking about the resources that is here and what could be made with all the "know-how" here. What if there was made a group of people to make a NEW game?

How much time should be given to this? My first thinking is 60 days, from when all the teams are ready. First a few days for all "The Challenger" to have been picked and then a few days to have "The Challenger" pick his team. Think that candidates should not have the same "job" in several teams. But... I do not know if there will be so many that this will be no problem or not. So maybe a test to see what would come out if this.

I think that this could be a great way to find people that are skilled at different things, in order to spark more creativity in the group (TI atariage). I think it is possible to make the next best TI game!

So... are you up for this challenge?

#0 - The "Pool"
Candidates add there name to The "Pool" with your set of skills.

Name, Then add your skills -> (Designer, Graphic artist, Sound designer, Programmer)

#1 - Make "The Pool" thread
A pool of candidates for this challenge. A separate thread for "The Pool", where all the candidates add there name and where the teams are names a team members described.

#2 - "The Challenger"
Will be picked from "The Pool"

You can only be "The Challenger" one time!

#3 - "The Challenger" picks his team and give them his idea!

# First - Make a (max) 2 sentence "them"/type game description!
# Pick the team to make the game.

- 2 Designers. This is something many could do without to much experience or know-how about programming. (Or - One is lead programmer and the other is lead Graphic artist)

- 1 Graphic artist. (or 2 if 2 only Designers are picked)

- 1 Programmer. (or 2 if 2 only Designers are picked, 1 reserve if needed/or something happens and the team needs help)

#4 - "The Designers"
# First job, pick the next "The Challenger"!
# Find a sound designer for the team.
# Make the outline of the game, 1 week! (only Designers)

# Make the game!

- A cover for the game

- Text to description the game

- Showcase the game it self in a vidoe!
PS! Would be cool with a intro in the game, where the names of the people involved is presented. From the challenger and all the way down. Maybe a standard one for this challenge? (Hmmm, maybe the first small challenge, make a intro and we pick one and it will be added to all the games.)

#70 days later - The game presentation! (70 days or what would be the best option)
Presentations consists of...

- A cover for the game - 30% of the score!
- Text to description the game - 20% of the score!

- The game it self! - 50% of the score! (Important part!!! Keep the game a SECRET! Do not let anyone else then the Team, play the game.)

# Judges for this, is all the candidates that did NOT get picked! So if you are not picked and you want to be a Judge, add your name and your wish to be a Judge.

# Award for best Cover! (Presenting the Cover for the game.)

# Award for best Text description! (The description of the game on the "backside".)

# Award for best Looking game! (Team is showcasing the game they made.)

Second best Award!!!

# Award for BEST game! (based on the 3 categories above)
Then we get to figure out what the best game is BEFORE anyone gets to play any of the games!

The most important Award...
# Players Award!

Players Award for best game! This is decided by everyone that plays the games. (Makes of the game has not say in the matter of there own game ;) )
There will be given one week to play the game and score all the games!

# Score system

Score system is 1 to 100!

So what is your thinking? Anything I forgot or need to be specified more?

Edited by oddemann
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If the right group of people could agree on the right game project using the right tools, I would definitely be interested in participating. But knowing how few of us there are with enough time, skills and interest, I don't think this is likely to happen. The mega demo is the only project of that kind I have participated in, and that was only possible because it was coordinated by the Desire demo group.  Specifically, I'm not aware of anyone here who would call themselves a dedicated graphics artist or music composer. I hope I'm wrong and that I haven't offended anyone ?.

• Like 1

By "all" the replays, I am of the same thinking... There is not many that at least WANT to try this. And there might be all kind of good reasons for that. So... I guess it will be JUST an idea ;)

But maybe just one group, to do a test run!

Maybe make it a community effort to find a new game to make. And then maybe the A-team might come out of that. But, I am not holding my breathe.

id like to see a NEW assembler created even though the one Im using, RAG, is still wonderful, but I just want something  that runs on the TI AND classic 99 emulator and ill let the writers use their imagination on the rest. IT's got to run on the TI though, not linux or some windows app.  ( some years later.......im still waiting....)

Edited by GDMike

13 hours ago, GDMike said:

id like to see a NEW assembler created even though the one Im using, RAG, is still wonderful, but I just want something  that runs on the TI AND emulator and ill let the writers use their imagination on the rest. IT's got to run on the TI though, not linux or some windows app.  ( some years later.......im still waiting....)

Interesting. I have been wondering what it would take to make a "prefix" Assembler that would let you run the code interactively on the TI.

To be fair it would not be exactly like TI assembler but as close as the simple Forth parser would allow without re-inventing everything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asmusr said:

Eh? ? Could you rephrase that?

Done.

I meant compatible to classic 99,(most of all already does).  but I'm just saying since I do use it sometimes too. But I'm really  looking for an assembler that DOES run only on a

TI-99. 

Or how about an assembler that spits out forth routines converted from assembler. But why? Forth has an assembler. Just because

Edited by GDMike

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

I probably just need to learn forth assembler, and get a hold on how it actually works, from begining to end. Ok, I promise to do this after foxit is complete. Hmmm... maybe I said this once before..lol 

Well... using Forth Assembler can sometimes upset real Assembler programmers because it traditionally uses structured branching and looping which prevents "pasta" code but really sucks when you just want to goto somewhere in the code.

This is why I stole an idea from DxForth (Thanks Ed in Australia) to build numbered labels for short jumps and added my own named labels for Branch. Branch & Link and BLWP. 

This would not be hard to add to your favourite Forth flavour.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheBF said:

Well... using Forth Assembler can sometimes upset real Assembler programmers because it traditionally uses structured branching and looping which prevents "pasta" code but really sucks when you just want to goto somewhere in the code.

This is why I stole an idea from DxForth (Thanks Ed in Australia) to build numbered labels for short jumps and added my own named labels for Branch. Branch & Link and BLWP. 

This would not be hard to add to your favourite Forth flavour.

As far as I know TF said, start with ;asm

And end with asm; or something like that

And I was able to get something to run, but couldn't get much happening as I ended up in a structure that needed a loop and another needed to branch to someplace and some other place depending on something another...ya know, typical assembler stuff. I need an assembler for dummies.

I used to steal my sister's art pieces, and it said assemble the following, item 1 red, item 2 blue. And wholla, after a thousand instructions I had a masterpiece!

Edited by GDMike
  • Haha 1