IGNORED

Best currently available homebrew for a returning 7800 player?

jgkspsx

I have recently recommissioned my 7800 and have been playing through my nearly-complete-except-the-rare-and-most-of-the-fun-games collection. (How did I never buy Food Fight??)

I am curious what is out there in the homebrew universe that is currently in print and available for purchase. I don’t have a multicart yet and may be waiting a while to get one, and I have no interest in playing on a computer, so playing games people have uploaded here is not yet an option. I’d like to get up to speed on the state of homebrew at least a little.

I see a lot of talk about games that are out of print like Rikki & Vikki, Sirius, Plutos, etc, but those don’t do me any good. I’m interested in what is available now, particularly original games.

I hear that @PacManPlus has a lot of incredible games out, though regarding Pac Man Collection I am not much for Pac Man. (Though I am into pinball, so Baby Pacman is on my radar for sure.) Moon Cresta and Dungeon Stalker from AtariAge look promising for my tastes.

20 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I am curious what is out there in the homebrew universe that is currently in print and available for purchase.

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_list&c=90

20 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

...I’m interested in what is available now, particularly original games...

I hear that @PacManPlus has a lot of incredible games out, though regarding Pac Man Collection I am not much for Pac Man. (Though I am into pinball, so Baby Pacman is on my radar for sure.) Moon Cresta and Dungeon Stalker from AtariAge look promising for my tastes.

Make up your mind ;) 

Pac-Man Collection and Moon Cresta are both excellent ports under the 7800, especially PMC, offering options well above what would typical be found available in the Arcades. Baby Pac-Man is a marvelous port found under no other platform, can opt to play just the pinball portions or maze portions, or/and fine tune game difficulty and settings.

If you enjoy the Arcade originals, the ports available for the 7800 are often as great and in some cases arguably better.. Beef Drop (BurgerTime), Froggie (Frogger), bon*Q (Q*bert), Astro Blaster, Space Invaders, Scramble.. and more.  Heck, with Frenzy, you get two great Arcade games in one, the aforementioned, and Berzerk.  Just visit the store and take your pick.

As far as more "original" works, Dungeon Stalker is a great choice as is T:ME Salvo.   Sequels or ports from other platforms such as Serpentine, FailSafe, and Armor Attack II, are great selections as well.  Crazy Brix serves as an excellent bridge between the original classic Breakout and the futuristic Arkanoid, a great game in its own right, in addition to playing very well with either joystick or paddle controls.   Into puzzle games, in the vein of Columns, Dragon's Cache is quite exceptional.

There are some exciting and quite amazing ports, in addition to more fantastic original titles, coming down the pipe.. It's a great time to have recommissioned your 7800!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Trebor said:

There are some exciting and quite amazing ports in addition to more fantastic original titles coming down the pipe, it's a great time to have recommissioned your 7800!

This?

<Edit> If your a fan of Donkey Kong, I recommend you PM @tep392and see if he can make you a copy of his Donkey Kong PK (POKEY) game.  This is the definitive home version of Donkey Kong!

• Like 3

@jgkspsx

If you enjoy pinball games, Baby Pac Man can be played either as Maze+Pinball or just Pinball.

So it’s the only pinball game option for the 7800.

I think it has only one pinball screen.

But the pinball-mechanics are smooth and very well programmed.

- - -

Moon Cresta:

Haven’t played the arcade.

It is somewhat difficult to hit enemies as the bullets are very small, enemies moves fast, and you sort of have to hit them quite precisely.

I’d say, not quite as good as Galaga, but if you’re into something similar - although not quite as good -, you may enjoy this.

It’s quite tough, but it feels rewarding to add modules to ones ship and increasing fire-power.

- - -

If you like Frogger, Froggie is a very close port of the arcade, with responsive controls and all the elements of the Frogger arcade (as far as I can see at least).

Edited by Giles N
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in that just because Rikki & Vikki is out of print doesn't mean you won't be able to get it for a reasonable price (albeit likely a little higher than the original price) from a forum member here. Some people bought more than one copy. Couldn't hurt to post a WTB in the wanted section of the Marketplace. 

• Like 1