IGNORED

My dad left me his computer collection and I don't know where to start

T.A.P.

My dad gave me his old Atari 8-bit computer collection when he retired and moved to Florida.

He had a ton of different machines, lots of accessories, printers, tape drives, disk drives, modems, etc.

I plan to keep a couple of the machines for myself (or to give to my brother) and the game cartridges (I used to play those when I was a kid and they have sentimental value to me), but other than that, since there's so much of this stuff I can't keep it all and want to find the rest of it new homes.

The problem is, I don't know where to start with all this stuff. All I really know is that the old AC adapters on a lot of these aren't really safe to use any more and could fry the machines, so I'm hesitant to even boot these up until I can get a new power supply, but I don't really know where to get one, or if they are even interchangeable between models.

Can anyone help me out?

I don't have everything in front of me, but in terms of actual computers, I think this is all, or at least most of them:
2x 800
2x 1200XL
2x 800XL
600XL - I think I saw one of these in the pile, but I'm not completely sure.
130XE
XEGS

Do I need to hunt down different power supplies for these models, or is there a universal one I could buy that would work with all of those?

What about video cables? I think the 400 and 800s only have RF, but I think the newer models support composite? Any idea where I can find a cable for that (assuming I can't find one in the boxes of stuff he left me)?
Edited by T.A.P.
  • Like 1

The 400, 800 both use 9VAC power supplies and are usually very reliable, they are not to be used on any of the other machines.

All the XL and XE machines use a 5VDC power supply and these should be interchangeable between models, however

search this forum for "Ingot" power supplies, they were used with 800XL models and those are the ones that will fry

your machine. Maybe if you post photo's of the PSU's you have and people here will be able to too you what's good

and what's not. 

Did you get any disk drives with these, if so the 1050 drive also used 9VAC and again usually very reliable.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:
My dad gave me his old Atari 8-bit computer collection when he retired and moved to Florida.

He had a ton of different machines, lots of accessories, printers, tape drives, disk drives, modems, etc.

I plan to keep a couple of the machines for myself (or to give to my brother) and the game cartridges (I used to play those when I was a kid and they have sentimental value to me), but other than that, since there's so much of this stuff I can't keep it all and want to find the rest of it new homes.

The problem is, I don't know where to start with all this stuff. All I really know is that the old AC adapters on a lot of these aren't really safe to use any more and could fry the machines, so I'm hesitant to even boot these up until I can get a new power supply, but I don't really know where to get one, or if they are even interchangeable between models.

Can anyone help me out?

I don't have everything in front of me, but in terms of actual computers, I think this is all, or at least most of them:
2x 800
2x 1200XL
2x 800XL
130XE
XEGS

Do I need to hunt down different power supplies for these models, or is there a universal one I could buy that would work with all of those?

What about video cables? I think the 400 and 800s only have RF, but I think the newer models support composite? Any idea where I can find a cable for that (assuming I can't find one in the boxes of stuff he left me)?

Hmmm I might know your father. I know a trucker up here that moved to florida and left his 8 bits to his kid.

If its who I think it is he ran a bbs on some of those.

Are you in canada?

See what cables you have and dont have and we can guide you where to get or how to replace stuff.

I wouldn't concern myself about any power supply for those units you want to sell.  Just list them, they will sell.  Maybe get one PSU for the XL/XEs, and one for the 400/800, test them, then sell the units as operable.  As for cables, enthusiasts that buy them will know what cables they'll need.  Just sell the stuff and lighten your load.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gilsaluki said:

Does everyone end up in Florida when they retire?  DBM..   Why don't people stay in the wonderful Northeast (N.Y., Jersey, Penn, etc>)?  DBM...

It's the draw of the sun and sinkholes...

2 1200XL's   /me gutted..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gilsaluki said:

I use it sometimes.  

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

As a machine we never got, it has that 'must have' link to it..

Always wanted one but when they were about I had no money and now it's just kerazzzy time on Ebay (not that I have the money)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

You UK guys REALLY seek those 1200XLs.   The Holy Grail of Ataris?  I was lucky to find a mint condition one years ago at a thrift for $35.  I use it sometimes.  

They were never sold in PAL countries. The only Atari 8bit i have never seen in real live, only on photos.

7 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

As a machine we never got, it has that 'must have' link to it..

Always wanted one but when they were about I had no money and now it's just kerazzzy time on Ebay (not that I have the money)

Ah, another opportunity to thank @bob1200xl for sending me one for free years ago, just shipping costs ($65 or something) :) Must say, I have powered it up a few times, and now it's boxed next to my desk. I'm afraid to mod it ?

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

Grrrr 2 :)

Bob, how many more so you have ;)

I AM joking.... In truth I didn't know it existed until after the scene was almost dead, we at Maplin obviously never got any POS as it was never coming here, we did get it for the 1400 and XLD but again, like others, I've never seen any of those in the flesh.. (for obvious reasons re the last two)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

I wouldn't concern myself about any power supply for those units you want to sell.  Just list them, they will sell.  Maybe get one PSU for the XL/XEs, and one for the 400/800, test them, then sell the units as operable.  As for cables, enthusiasts that buy them will know what cables they'll need.  Just sell the stuff and lighten your load. 

Agree. Test the machines with known good power supplies (9VAC or 5VDC). Keep the two or three machines you like most, sell the rest as is (working or perhaps not), but ditch the ingot power supplies anyway. An unsuspected buyer might fry its newly acquired Atari without knowing.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Why don't people stay in the wonderful Northeast (N.Y., Jersey, Penn, etc>)? 

Because Florida is 1 among 4 states in the Union with an annual GDP larger than U.S. $1.0 trillion, because it is the #1 state in the union with the higher-population growth (being N.Y. the #1 loser together with California), because it is very well managed, it is fiscally a SURPLUS state (runs a positive budget balance yearly), it has AAA credit-rating (thus being able to issue debt at the lowest possible interest rates), because you don't pay State Taxes (among the 8 states left in the union where you don't), and because it is an endless summer, and on, and on...

That's why.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

The 400, 800 both use 9VAC power supplies and are usually very reliable, they are not to be used on any of the other machines.

All the XL and XE machines use a 5VDC power supply and these should be interchangeable between models, however

search this forum for "Ingot" power supplies, they were used with 800XL models and those are the ones that will fry

your machine. Maybe if you post photo's of the PSU's you have and people here will be able to too you what's good

and what's not. 

Did you get any disk drives with these, if so the 1050 drive also used 9VAC and again usually very reliable.

Everything's boxed up at the moment (there were like, 8 boxes of stuff in all), but I'm pretty sure there were multiple floppy drives. I think there may have even been some from each era of computer (so the 800-era, the XL era, and the XE era).

I'll try to dig everything out and take pictures of stuff over the next few days. Part of the problem is dad put ALL of the ac adapters into a single box, so they're all jumbled together now with the ones for (I presume) the printers, disk drives, and everything else.

37 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Does everyone end up in Florida when they retire?  DBM..   Why don't people stay in the wonderful Northeast (N.Y., Jersey, Penn, etc>)?  DBM...

My dad moved there because he was tired of Michigan winters and because I guess the taxes aren't as bad in Florida or something.

42 minutes ago, oo7 said:

Must be someone else. I'm in the US, and my dad was a teacher.

Edited by T.A.P.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T.A.P. said:
2x 800
2x 1200XL

These all use the same 9V AC adapter.  Note that it's AC, not DC.  They're really just simple step-down transformers, so as long as you can get one with the correct barrel jack and amperage (about 1.5A at a minimum) it'll work.  Note that these don't typically go bad since there's pretty much nothing to go wrong with them.

2 hours ago, T.A.P. said:
2x 800XL
130XE
XEGS

As mentioned elsewhere, these take 5V DC.  I've junked my XL power supplies and am now running them on 2.5A Raspberry Pi power supplies, and they work great.  You'll need an adapter cable; I got mine from 8-Bit Classics and have zero complaints.  RasPi supplies are cheap, too - about $10 on Amazon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

Because Florida is 1 among 4 states in the Union with an annual GDP larger than U.S. $1.0 trillion, because it is the #1 state in the union with the higher-population growth (being N.Y. the #1 loser together with California), because it is very well managed, it is fiscally a SURPLUS state (runs a positive budget balance yearly), it has AAA credit-rating (thus being able to issue debt at the lowest possible interest rates), because you don't pay State Taxes (among the 8 states left in the union where you don't), and because it is an endless summer, and on, and on...

That's why.

OOOOOOHHHHH.  Did I just read some politics between those lines.  If I had posted that, I would have been reprimanded, or banned.   Shaaaaaammmme.....

• Confused 1

Thanks for all the responses so far!

I know that certain machines have trouble running or doing certain things, but out of curiosity, is there one model that people consider the best among the Atari 8 Bit machines?

I pretty much would just be keeping something to play cartridge games, or possibly games booted from some kind of flash device, if something like that exists for floppy disk games.

• Like 1