IGNORED

Cannon Spike; an amazing game that's NOT worth the asking price!

awbacon

I am VERY thankful I bought a copy like 13 years ago when they were still a normal price. IF you were ever curious as to just how wild retro game prices have gotten lately (outside of the auctions recently which I swear are just money laundering in disguise) then check the price on Cannon Spike today!

• Like 2

Indeed, excellent game and I'll watch your video at home this evening.  I had to check about the going price for Cannon Spike (on GameValueNow which shows $300 complete, haven't checked eBay) and wow, that's truly insane.  It seems like just yesterday DC games were $5-10 in the Blockbuster bargain bins.  Hell, even common early games like Dynamite Cop are almost $100 now?!!  That can't be right can it?

I still have my original CS from bitd and it's a blast to play, but never would have expected it to become so valuable.  No one wanted it when it was current since everyone was gaga over PS2.  I suppose that's true for every underdog console over the years though.

Edited by glazball
  • Sad 1

I'm sure all of us know that, unfortunately, prices for all retro games have been climbing over the years.  Though I *love* Karl Jobst's video posted above, I don't think it's relevant here.  Those allegations relate to 1) sealed games 2) graded by WATA and 3) sold through Heritage Auctions.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 2:49 PM, glazball said:

Indeed, excellent game and I'll watch your video at home this evening.  I had to check about the going price for Cannon Spike (on GameValueNow which shows $300 complete, haven't checked eBay) and wow, that's truly insane.  It seems like just yesterday DC games were $5-10 in the Blockbuster bargain bins.  Hell, even common early games like Dynamite Cop are almost $100 now?!!  That can't be right can it?

I still have my original CS from bitd and it's a blast to play, but never would have expected it to become so valuable.  No one wanted it when it was current since everyone was gaga over PS2.  I suppose that's true for every underdog console over the years though.

I have the Japanese import of this (known as Gunspike), and a quick eBay search shows that it goes for around $110 - 125 these days.  So that's an alternative for those who want a copy for their collection.

Honestly though, ever since I got a MODE for my Dreamcast I haven't even touched my physical discs.  I'm not ready to part with them just yet, but with the ever looming threat of disc rot I'm afraid it will happen eventually.  It pains me tho after spending all these years collecting games.

Back on topic though:  Great video!  Cannon Spike is really fun, and AFAIK is still exclusive to the Dreamcast.  Definitely worth it if you're a fan of Capcom as well since many of their franchises are represented.

Edited by schnuth
  • Like 1

I have it. It is kind of a great game, but  I'm not without complaints. First of all, what exactly is it? It's a run'n'gun shmup beat-em-up. Every time I play it I feel a little overwhelmed, mostly because since the game is many different genres, it's also using all the buttons on the controller. You have normal and heavy shots, normal and heavy melee attacks, and then the lock-on-target feature, plus your mega-crush attack. Give me a freaking break! 

I've tried standard joypad controllers and joystick controllers, and every time I feel like I don't have the right controller to play this game, because I get confused with all the different buttons for attacking and whatnot. I always end up using just a few of the attacks because the action is so intense I can't be fumbling around with all the different commands available, but you have to learn this stuff to get good. 

I'm also annoyed that it's designed as a pure arcade game experience, when AFAIK, it's exclusive to the DC. They should have simplified the melee combat (1 button) and tweaked the lock-on to be a button press to change targets, not require you to hold the trigger down. It's very awkward to hold the trigger all the time. 

Still I like the game and keep going back to it, but I don't really improve, and also have never finished it since there's limited 'credits' for this home console exclusive game.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, Cobra Kai said:

I have it. It is kind of a great game, but  I'm not without complaints. First of all, what exactly is it? It's a run'n'gun shmup beat-em-up. Every time I play it I feel a little overwhelmed, mostly because since the game is many different genres, it's also using all the buttons on the controller. You have normal and heavy shots, normal and heavy melee attacks, and then the lock-on-target feature, plus your mega-crush attack. Give me a freaking break! 

I've tried standard joypad controllers and joystick controllers, and every time I feel like I don't have the right controller to play this game, because I get confused with all the different buttons for attacking and whatnot. I always end up using just a few of the attacks because the action is so intense I can't be fumbling around with all the different commands available, but you have to learn this stuff to get good. 

I'm also annoyed that it's designed as a pure arcade game experience, when AFAIK, it's exclusive to the DC. They should have simplified the melee combat (1 button) and tweaked the lock-on to be a button press to change targets, not require you to hold the trigger down. It's very awkward to hold the trigger all the time. 

Still I like the game and keep going back to it, but I don't really improve, and also have never finished it since there's limited 'credits' for this home console exclusive game.

its basically a "run and shmup"...if that's a genre lol