IGNORED

Lyra the Tenrec (Completed)

ZippyRedPlumber

17 hours ago, littaum said:

The jumping physics are pretty amazing too.

It's just a simple counter and a few if-thens. Doesn't use fancy math. Here's the jump code:

;```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
   ;  Resets jump counter if limit is reached and starts a fall.
   ;  The higher the number used here, the higher the jump.
   ;
   if _Jump_Gravity_Counter > 12 then _Jump_Gravity_Counter = 0 : _Bit2_Fall_in_Progress{2} = 1 : goto __Skip_Jump

;  Changes speed of jump over time depending on counter number.
   ;  (Slows down the higher it goes.)
   ;
   if _Jump_Gravity_Counter <= 7 then temp6 = 3
   if _Jump_Gravity_Counter > 7 && _Jump_Gravity_Counter <= 10 then temp6 = 2
   if _Jump_Gravity_Counter > 10 then temp6 = 1

;  Moves player1 sprite up the screen.
   ;
   player1y = player1y - temp6

Here's the fall code:

;  Fake gravity fall (speed keeps increasing during a fall).
   ;
   temp6 = 0
   if _Fall_Gravity_Counter > 8 && _Jump_Gravity_Counter <= 16 then temp6 = 1
   if _Fall_Gravity_Counter > 16 && _Jump_Gravity_Counter <= 24 then temp6 = 2
   if _Fall_Gravity_Counter > 24 && _Jump_Gravity_Counter <= 32 then temp6 = 3
   if _Fall_Gravity_Counter > 32 then temp6 = 4

;  Moves player1 down the screen.
   ;
   player1y = player1y + temp6

Related links:

atariage.com/forums/topic/330792-jumping-sprite-example-program/

atariage.com/forums/topic/179473-fake-gravity-platformer-test/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Lyra the Tenrec on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

After Dark:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

Cool, looking forward to it when it gets uploaded to youtube as I don't have a twitch account.

you can use art I made for your cartridge image.

Thank you so much for the artwork! Hope you can join in the live broadcast, you don't need an account to watch but you do need an account to chat. Looking forward to playing your game tomorrow!

- James

• Like 1

Well, it's time to release the new WIP build of Lyra (made days before ZPH's stream,) it's almost release candidate worthy.

I got creative with the lives/status bar, the lives being a baddie meter once all the Cyclonauts (the vector-inspired looking eyeballs) in the meter run, you get awarded a 100 point bonus. Gameplay remains the same, collect the wafers & destroy cyclonauts while avoiding the lethal ion drone (the purple ball bouncing

around the playfield.)

Taking inspiration from many Magnavox Odyssey2 games you have only one life so once health runs out the game ends.

The reason the ball is there is that I wanted something to hurt the player, once again inspiration strikes after playing @Gemintronic's Upp!

To-Do: 
Add back the deadly following enemy Edit: Ain't possible because I can't figure out the multi sprite kernel, might add another missile instead.
Add platforms though this game wasn't intended to have more platforms, but I aim to please ;)
ZPH Suggested additional levels, so I'm going to try to compromise by making it a 2 level game.

lyra_rc1_2022y_03m_24d_0515t.bas.bin

Edited by ZippyRedPlumber
Multisprite kernel makes compiling errors
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

To celebrate the release of Sonic 2, (which is actually good I recommend it) here's Lyra version 3.1

The main idea for the game is to be a simple albeit minimalist score attack type arcade platformer (meaning no endgame, just scores)

What's next, adding possible game modes

Tell me what you think?

lyra_v3_1_1_2022y_03m_31d_0405t.bas.bin

• Like 1

Lyra_V1_WIP.bin was great! It had a lot of replay value, and it was difficult.

lyra_rc1_2022y_03m_24d_0515t.bas.bin was challenging with the ball distracting me. I think that could be a good addition at a later level?

lyra_v3_1_1_2022y_03m_31d_0405t.bas.bin Somehow I had a much easier time targeting things, but the game ended sooner.

This is a great game. I can't wait to see more! If I were to pick my favorite of those three, it'd be Lyra_V1_WIP.bin, and I really liked the music in it when I shot things.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ZippyRedPlumber said:

Seeing as this is my first time with bBasic as well as my first homebrew, I've hit a snag... Is there a select switch wizard in the house.

If so, PM me. 

Why not just ask here so everyone gets the benefit of the info? If it involves showing code that you want to be kept private though, you can PM me if you like.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 2:24 PM, ZippyRedPlumber said:

Seeing as this is my first time with bBasic as well as my first homebrew, I've hit a snag... Is there a select switch wizard in the house.

If so, PM me. 

See RT's info on select switch here: https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#switchselect

Somewhat relevant to this is are screensaving colors and that they maybe should kick in during the selection phase if a player gets distracted while selecting and walks away for a while. This thread started by RT gets into more detail on it:

Edited by Fort Apocalypse

It's really hard to offer any targeted advice without seeing the code in question.

My guess would be that you are clearing or resetting the score variable somehow when you are initialising, displaying or returning from the intermission.

[edit]

From playing through, my experience was the score was retained but the game wasn't leaving the intermission/message screen and became stuck with just the red collectable appearing. It seems like you are not jumping cleanly back to the gameloop and resetting the collectables count (or however you manage the end of level). 

8 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

It's really hard to offer any targeted advice without seeing the code in question.

My guess would be that you are clearing or resetting the score variable somehow when you are initialising, displaying or returning from the intermission.

[edit]

From playing through, my experience was the score was retained but the game wasn't leaving the intermission/message screen and became stuck with just the red collectable appearing. It seems like you are not jumping cleanly back to the gameloop and resetting the collectables count (or however you manage the end of level). 

Whoops, sent in the wrong bin file. Here's both the code and rom

lyra_v3_2_2022y_04m_23d_0330t.bas.bin lyra_v3_2_2022y_04m_23d_0330t.bas

• Like 1

It looks like your intermission loop is setting the score variables to whatever you have in the save variables. Is there a reason to do this at all? Maybe you just want to hide the score by setting the scorecolor to the background color, or just leave it as is?

Good morning! Today is my 26th Birthday and to celebrate, Lyra Version 3.2.2 is here!

Much like Version 3.1.1 from late-March, it's a score attack arcade platformer that aims for pure simple minimalism.
Completing a level requires clearing the status bar which can be done by; Collecting red gems and or Destroying the blue Eye-Bots.

The left difficulty switch controls the speed of the blorg; B for slow, A for fast.

In 2 delicious flavors, one with no music. The other having a chill synthy vaporwave tune for the title screen,
Note: there's a bug when starting the game as music notes would hang. (Currently fixing the issue.)

Removed the ball because it was deemed a distraction. (Sorry to everyone who liked the ball hazard.)

Was contemplating adding platforms but didn't as the playfield's platforms might be a hindrance to the gameplay i.e. trying to evade the homing blue blorg (the blue square.)

I also did want to add the boss level, but each time I try to implement it, something always happens to screw the game up. Most recently it jumps to a black screen. Maybe I'll come back to it for a "quality of life" edition in the future.

Remember, this is my first batariBasic homebrew so don't expect anything that ambitious. I'm not the next VHZC or Sprybug.

lyra_v3_2_2_2022y_05m_03d_0300t.bas.bin lyra_v3_2_2_2022y_05m_03d_0600t.bas.bin

Edited by ZippyRedPlumber

On 5/3/2022 at 6:06 AM, ZippyRedPlumber said:

Good morning! Today is my 26th Birthday and to celebrate, Lyra Version 3.2.2 is here!

Much like Version 3.1.1 from late-March, it's a score attack arcade platformer that aims for pure simple minimalism.
Completing a level requires clearing the status bar which can be done by; Collecting red gems and or Destroying the blue Eye-Bots.

The left difficulty switch controls the speed of the blorg; B for slow, A for fast.

In 2 delicious flavors, one with no music. The other having a chill synthy vaporwave tune for the title screen,
Note: there's a bug when starting the game as music notes would hang. (Currently fixing the issue.)

Removed the ball because it was deemed a distraction. (Sorry to everyone who liked the ball hazard.)

Was contemplating adding platforms but didn't as the playfield's platforms might be a hindrance to the gameplay i.e. trying to evade the homing blue blorg (the blue square.)

I also did want to add the boss level, but each time I try to implement it, something always happens to screw the game up. Most recently it jumps to a black screen. Maybe I'll come back to it for a "quality of life" edition in the future.

Remember, this is my first batariBasic homebrew so don't expect anything that ambitious. I'm not the next VHZC or Sprybug.

lyra_v3_2_2_2022y_05m_03d_0300t.bas.bin 8 kB · 7 downloads lyra_v3_2_2_2022y_05m_03d_0600t.bas.bin 8 kB · 10 downloads

Happy Birthday! I really like the one with the theme music!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Newest version is here! Changes include; a change in jump physics, two foreground platforms. They are for decoration therefore they don't function.

The Ball got reinstated but instead of bouncing all over the playfield like in previous versions, it moves back & forth. This came as a suggestion from zeropagehomebrew to have an enemy move on the bottom as a reason to keep jumping. Got creative again with the lives/status bar with lives as a gem meter.

Once every six gems are collected, you are rewarded 100 bonus points. Once the enemy bar reaches 0, you are rewarded 200 bonus points.

Unfortunately, this means that one touch of the blue or green square borgs, it's game over. On the plus side it homages Magnavox Odyssey2 games doing so.

lyra_v3_3_2022y_05m_24d_0525t.bas.bin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay newest version(s) is here! I say versions because they are really game variations that I can hopefully merge into one rom soon as I figure out the complexities of the select switch.

Changes in both variations include a role reversal; missile1 is now the destructable Borg grunts & player1 is now harmful
on contact & slight changes to the title screens reflecting Intellivision & Odyssey2 fonts respectively.

In Game variation 1, you have a health bar represented by hearts, once all hearts are gone, the game's over. Your primary mission is to collect the Ruby Wafers (Missile0) indicated by the status bar. Once a wafer is collected, the bar goes down, once all wafers are collected (Status bar reaches 0) you beat a level.

Game Variation 2 is the same as what I posted on May 24th. This is basically a score attack mode, get the high score while trying not to get hit by the Eyebot (player1) or green Sparx (Ball) one hit by both you lose. Once every six gems are collected, you are rewarded 100 bonus points. When the enemy bar reaches 0, you are rewarded 200 bonus points & beat a level. I fixed the position of the ball so that the player wont get a game over upon starting a game.

Difficulty switches in both variations control the speed of the Eyebots & Borgs; B for slow, A for fast.

Game Variation 1 rom: lyra_v3_3_Var_1_2022y_06m_01d_0855t.bas.bin

Game Variation 2 rom: lyra_v3_3_Var_2_2022y_06m_01d_0818t.bas.bin

• Like 1