IGNORED

Atari Recharged Series (Discussion)

justclaws

So if Megan has done 16 tracks and has 4 tracks in use on Centipede Recharged, figure 4 tracks per game and that would bring us to 4 total "Recharged" games (plus Missile Command Recharged which Megans work was not featured on).  I am excited to see what other games are in the series.  Centipede Recharged drops on September 29th and I can't wait to shell out for that one as it's one of my favorite games from when I was a kid.

• Like 3

I would love to see DragonStomper, Millepede, Haunted House, Space War, Circus Atari, Target Fun, Warlords, Berzerk, Defender, Food Fight, Moon Patrol, Pengo, Firefox, and if possible a new version of Space Dungeon and Qix.

If only an updated Space Dungeon was made I would be excited.

Also I really love podcasts and I’m so happy that they made one!

• Like 2

Circus Atari and Warlords would be great. It would be nice to see some other games utilize the classic controller. Speaking of which, Night Driver might be a good candidate for the spin function.

An updated Night Driver would be an excellent use of the Spin Function, so would Tac-Scan.

I imagine an updated Kaboom!, and Demons to Diamonds would be a lot of fun as well.

I like the look and FPS output the new Centipede Recharged offers on newer consoles. I’ll probably play this on my Series S to take advantage of the 120fps. I am wondering if the New Atari VCS will have similar performance at 1080p. If not that would be a real shame.

If Atari can’t offer similar performance on their newly released console then it’s really going to be hard for them to continue to see sales performance numbers going forward. The current LCD/Oled TV Tech has been marketed specifically toward the innovations offered in the HDMI 2.1 spec in conjunction with Next Gen Consoles and graphics cards. They are not selling in a climate that is unaware of these advancements and capabilities.

1 hour ago, adamchevy said:

An updated Night Driver would be an excellent use of the Spin Function, so would Tac-Scan.

I imagine an updated Kaboom!, and Demons to Diamonds would be a lot of fun as well.

I like the look and FPS output the new Centipede Recharged offers on newer consoles. I’ll probably play this on my Series S to take advantage of the 120fps. I am wondering if the New Atari VCS will have similar performance at 1080p. If not that would be a real shame.

If Atari can’t offer similar performance on their newly released console then it’s really going to be hard for them to continue to see sales performance numbers going forward. The current LCD/Oled TV Tech has been marketed specifically toward the innovations offered in the HDMI 2.1 spec in conjunction with Next Gen Consoles and graphics cards. They are not selling in a climate that is unaware of these advancements and capabilities.

The VCS advertises 4k resolution at 60fps so it won't quite meet the 120 fps that you seek.  However for games like this, the hardware should be plenty powerful and smooth.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, adamchevy said:

Do you own one? Have you enjoyed it so far? The Classic controller looks great to me!

I do have one and I am enjoying it so far.  The store on Atari OS side is a little light on content but they keep adding more games.  There are game categories for just about any interest and most of them are excellent.  @Mockduck has a Youtube channel where he has reviewed all of the VCS games so far and does a good, fact based review and critique of the games.

The Classic Controller does look great and performs well.  The only gripe I have with it is that the spinner function is waaaayyyyy too sensitive.  It is because you are spinning a very thin stick as opposed to a large diameter dial.  Also make sure the game you purchase from the store has compatibility with the stick.  Not all games do and some are made for the Modern Controller only.

• Like 1

I do have one and I am enjoying it so far.  The store on Atari OS side is a little light on content but they keep adding more games.  There are game categories for just about any interest and most of them are excellent.  [mention=6867]Mockduck[/mention] has a Youtube channel where he has reviewed all of the VCS games so far and does a good, fact based review and critique of the games.

The Classic Controller does look great and performs well.  The only gripe I have with it is that the spinner function is waaaayyyyy too sensitive.  It is because you are spinning a very thin stick as opposed to a large diameter dial.  Also make sure the game you purchase from the store has compatibility with the stick.  Not all games do and some are made for the Modern Controller only.

I’ve read and listened to a few reviews of the Classic controller and they all have the same sentiment about it being way to sensitive. I’ve been about to pull the trigger on a new set of paddles from best electronics but I’ve been holding off the past few days contemplating purchasing one of these consoles.

Primarily it’s the new recharged series that has peaked my interest, and the desire to play these new games on Atari’s new console with these new controllers.

It’s really a tough decision as they are also releasing this game many other places that I have access to.

I also like the idea of playing the original arcade games with the new Classic controller.

I actually like this console more than what the SteamDeck has to offer. I’m not a portable gamer and I really like the Atari catalog.

I know the SteamDeck can also be docked, but that’s not its primary function and it doesn’t natively give me Atari games and a new Atari Classic controller.

Does it work well over bluetooth? I’ve heard complaints that it won’t sync and has a lot of disconnect/pairing issues.
  • Like 2

I have had a few issues with all of the controllers at some point.  However Atari seem to have heard all the concerns and have corrected most.  The rest of the concerns are being addressed with updates.  I have not had any disconnecting issues with any controllers but I did have a pairing issue after an update.  It seems the VCS forgot my controllers and I needed to re pair them.  Other that that small inconvenience I have had no trouble.

Feel free to PM me or continue this in another thread as this one is seeming to go off topic.  ?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Yeah, super excited for Centipede! It is probably my favorite Atari game over the years, and while numerous versions have been released it really hasn't had a good update (I mean that PS1 update was what it was for the time, but...)

Centipede is my favorite Atari game as well (been playing it since childhood).

Besides the Hasbro remake, there was also the 2011 'Centipede: Infestation', a twin-stick shooter developed by Wayforward. I enjoyed that one tremendously and wished they made a sequel as they left the story unfinished. 

• Like 1

Besides the Hasbro remake, there was also the 2011 'Centipede: Infestation', a twin-stick shooter developed by Wayforward. I enjoyed that one tremendously and wished they made a sequel as they left the story unfinished. 

86ed920bcd0f30bd5aedc24712b60a69.jpg

Just purchased this one on the Wii.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bugcatcher88 said:

Totally forgot about Infestation! I never actually played that one, sounds like I absolutely should. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 12:08 PM, Mockduck said:

Totally forgot about Infestation! I never actually played that one, sounds like I absolutely should. 

I found it to be a fun twin-stick shooter. It works beautifully with the Wii remote & nunchuk (controls similarly to Sin & Punishment on Wii). My only complaint was the absence of an 'endless' mode where it just keeps going, increasing in difficulty, until the player loses. A mode like that (with online play) would've added so much more replay value to the game. 

I know this won't happen, but I'd like to see that game receive a port to the VCS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bugcatcher88 said:

I found it to be a fun twin-stick shooter. It works beautifully with the Wii remote & nunchuk (controls similarly to Sin & Punishment on Wii). My only complaint was the absence of an 'endless' mode where it just keeps going, increasing in difficulty, until the player loses. A mode like that (with online play) would've added so much more replay value to the game. 

I know this won't happen, but I'd like to see that game receive a port to the VCS.

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor was one of the best games I played on the Wii.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 11:10 PM, bugcatcher88 said:

The best hope is that if the game does not use only motion controls, you can run it via a Wii emulator!
The VCS has been shown to easily run Nintendo Wii and Wii-U emulators, and either via VCS PC-Mode
in Windows or Linux, or in due course via native emulators, I hope, running Wii via VCS should work!

I looked for the game, but it was never released in a PAL version, in Europe or Australia, it seems. ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Apparently the other games will be announced tomorrow since the soundtrack for the series will be released. We shall find out soon enough! 

Megan McDuffee just gave away the information in an email, too. ?
Centipede, Asteroids, Black Widow, and Breakout
https://meganmcduffee.bandcamp.com/album/atari-recharged-original-video-game-soundtrack

• Like 2