Atari Recharged Series (Discussion)

justclaws

2 hours ago, negative1 said:

i wonder if they will do combat

or if theres any chance for 3rd party titles:

megamania

river raid

later

The main thing I see about Combat is that it doesn't have a linear goal, really, and is at its core a two-player-only game. They'd have to come up with a new design for the kind of Recharged game that fits the series, and in some ways that seems to already be being done by Tony Barnes' Chaos Chassis (if it ever comes to the VCS). A Battlezone makes more sense, but of course Atari no longer owns that IP. 

50 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

A Battlezone makes more sense, but of course Atari no longer owns that IP. 

After seeing what they did with Asteroids, I really wish they still owned the Battlezone IP.  This is one of my favs and I'd love to see a Recharged version of it.

• Like 1

Impressive to see that the recharged series has been a success. Has Warlords been mentioned? I like the Night Driver suggestion, and the possibility of seeing racing games recharged. If we are digging deep into the catalog, why not Canyon Bomber or Dodge Em.  Both games were fine for their time but needed an update about 2 years later.  Other long shots to recharge could be:

Circus Atari

Demons to Diamonds

Outlaw

Indy 500 (err um . . . Race)

Sky Diver

Star Ship

Stunt Cycle

No VCS for me, so I'll be waiting and then waiting again for them to appear in GamePass or go on deep discount on Steam.

• 2 weeks later...

So believe it or not, I actually have a problem with Black Widow recharged on the Xbox.

I got Centipede and BW on sale through the Xbox Store and played each title a few times.

Last night, I booted up BW and on the title screen it shows "Press ?️ To Start" in purple text (the dice icon -- it's actually a purple square on the title screen)

Yes, it should say Press A to Start but for some reason now it shows a square instead of the letter A

No controller presses will bypass the title screen, so I have no idea what the issue is here.
Worked fine for a few days when I first bought the title, and Centipede is not affected. 

I did the customary console reboot, etc -- no improvement.  Anyone else run into this?

1 hour ago, Leonard Smith said:

So believe it or not, I actually have a problem with Black Widow recharged on the Xbox.

I got Centipede and BW on sale through the Xbox Store and played each title a few times.

Last night, I booted up BW and on the title screen it shows "Press ?️ To Start" in purple text (the dice icon -- it's actually a purple square on the title screen)

Yes, it should say Press A to Start but for some reason now it shows a square instead of the letter A

No controller presses will bypass the title screen, so I have no idea what the issue is here.
Worked fine for a few days when I first bought the title, and Centipede is not affected. 

I did the customary console reboot, etc -- no improvement.  Anyone else run into this?

I am having a very similar problem right now on the Atari VCS in AtariOS mode. I can't get Centipede Recharged to get past the "loading" screen, and I have a blank space where the "(A)" text should be. The screen just says "Loading" and never lets me press on through. At first I thought it might have been some kind of issue with me remapping the Stella controls for the Classic over on the PC Mode side, but now I don't think so...I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the game to no benefit.

• Thanks 1

Just fired it up again today, and the same exact issue.  
Console is an Xbox One S (not Series S)

*Centipede works. 
*Black Widow does not.

This is what I see on the title screen whilst the crappy soundtrack from Megan McHipster blares on.

There's no way to start the game, but it did work for two days as I was able to complete a few challenges.  Now I can't play the game I paid for.  This is concerning because what's going to happen in a year or two?  And this is the Xbox version, but yet @Mockduck reports that he's seeing the same thing on the VCS.  

Really glad I didn't spring for the VCS console. At least here I'm only out a few bucks for a few dud games.

bw.jpg

7 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I am having a very similar problem right now on the Atari VCS in AtariOS mode. I can't get Centipede Recharged to get past the "loading" screen, and I have a blank space where the "(A)" text should be. The screen just says "Loading" and never lets me press on through. At first I thought it might have been some kind of issue with me remapping the Stella controls for the Classic over on the PC Mode side, but now I don't think so...I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the game to no benefit.

I've noticed the (A) text appears if the controller is detected and is blank if not.  Check the controller is connected, try using a cable etc etc.

39 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

I've noticed the (A) text appears if the controller is detected and is blank if not.  Check the controller is connected, try using a cable etc etc.

That's not the issue in my case as the controller is recognized by Centipede, so it is something to do with the actual game or service. 

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

That's not the issue in my case as the controller is recognized by Centipede, so it is something to do with the actual game or service. 

Sorry I wasn't referring to your problem specifically.  I only know about behaviour I've noticed on Atari OS/Linux.

13 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

Yeah, both wired and not it is doing this. I have been unable to play Centipede Recharged in AtariOS since early last week sometime.

One other thing to note is that each time I fire up these games on the Xbox, they ask me to confirm my game account before it goes to the title screen.  I don't recall any other games doing this from my library.

After the gamer tag confirmation screen, it goes through the usual logos and then the title screen.

So I'm not really sure of the root cause, but on the Xbox version I can at least confirm that its accepting my gamer account and recognizing both a wired and wireless controller.  

1 hour ago, leech said:

I should fire up my VCS and play the recharged games... I keep buying them, but have not had the time to play them!

I'd find it hilarious if you go to play them and get the same 'purple square / inability to start the game' issue.

And yet, this is another issue with downloadable games.  In a case like this, how the hell does it get resolved? 
WIth physical media, you could bring the disc back to the store and exchange for a new one.  But this?  There's no easy way to contact the developers short of shaming them on social media or whatever is done these days.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

I'd find it hilarious if you go to play them and get the same 'purple square / inability to start the game' issue.

And yet, this is another issue with downloadable games.  In a case like this, how the hell does it get resolved? 
WIth physical media, you could bring the disc back to the store and exchange for a new one.  But this?  There's no easy way to contact the developers short of shaming them on social media or whatever is done these days.

They both worked fine for me on my VCS.

No problems in either game on my VCS or the versions available in Epic Games that I picked up during the free promotion.  I also have Centipede on PS4 and no problems there. 

You can report issues on the Atari Recharged Discord.  They are pretty good about communicating to the devs.  https://t.co/jyojY5xvDb

Alternatively, you might try a support ticket via Atari's website.

https://atari.gamecentergroup.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

Well I guess you guys are lucky.

As I stated, I was able to play both games for a day or two after purchasing from the Xbox Marketplace.

I tried them again last night and no change -- Centipede still works, but BW does not.

Do these games do some kind of server-side verification?

I'm inclined to think that these are quick and dirty ports from the VCS versions since I noticed that things like the Achievement Tracker do not work on the Xbox (ie:  Seeing a visual representation of how close you are to completing an particular achievement).  There's no real documentation either and the options menu has very basic configuration items.

I'm not signing up for Discord.

At this point, I'll delete and reinstall the game tonight and see if that cures the problem.  I really hope I don't lose my progress on the challenges since a few were quite tedious. 

Very bizarre issue to even have.  I've purchased dozens of games from Xbox Marketplace for well over 10 years now and this is the first time I've experienced a game-breaking issue like this.  

1 hour ago, Leonard Smith said:

I'm not signing up for Discord.

At this point, I'll delete and reinstall the game tonight and see if that cures the problem.  I really hope I don't lose my progress on the challenges since a few were quite tedious. 

Very bizarre issue to even have.  I've purchased dozens of games from Xbox Marketplace for well over 10 years now and this is the first time I've experienced a game-breaking issue like this.  

Ha, Discord is a rabbit hole for sure.  Sadly most of the projects I follow have mostly moved their updates to Discord.  But at least they have pretty decent cross platform support.  Hell, you can even log into Discord on the VCS, right?