IGNORED

3DO Platinum&Gold Best Selling software found. (As from end of 1995)

Leeroy ST

Also reposting here.

After years of giving up hope about an old business wire article vanishing off the net and broken links, I never thought I would find it again but I did! 8 years later. A user on Gaf posted the Gold/Platinum thing but he had no link and some of his games and numbers were wrong. But now I finally found the 3DO business wire sales article, likely was the only copy on the net. This time I will save and store, yes yes.

Anyway here are 3DO software sales figures as of Nov 1995.

Platinum titles more than 250,000 sold:

*Gex - Crystal Dynamics

*Fifa International Soccer - EA

Gold titles more than 100,000 sold:

*Crash ‘N Burn – Crystal Dynamics

*Road Rash – Electronic Arts

*The Need for Speed – Electronic Arts

*Shock Wave: Invasion Earth 2019 – EA

*Super Street Fighter II Turbo -Panasonic/Capcom

*Total Eclipse – Crystal Dynamics

*True Golf Classics: Pebble Beach Golf Links – Panasonic 

9 best sellers.

There's a pay archive site that said this:

Of the 200-plus titles in the existing 3DO arsenal, a handful have achieved major success. Crystal Dynamics' GEX leads the lot with more than 250,000 units sold to date. The next bestselling title, FIFA Soccer, has sold just over 200,000 units and Super Street Fighter II is approaching the 200,000 mark.

This was a month before in Oct, it lines up as Fifa passed 250k a month later. The above platinum sales were Nov 95.

This also shows by years end Super Street Fighter 2 is likely to be the 3rd Platinum title. Since it was already near 200,000 the two holiday months should put it over 250,000> easily, and you still have a year left.

Of course these dont include 1996, these are end if 1995 so no games like Blade Force or full LTDs.

Some takeaways here:

-Gex outsold every popular 3DO game before or after it's release in 6 months the same year it was launched 

-Gex along with SSFIIT showed 2D was still a big seller if the games were right. *Cough* Jaguar and Sony *Cough*

-Fifa used to be somewhat bigger in the US back then than after the late 90's.

-it took the Saturn two years to have top software beat these sales cumulatively in the US despite selling consoles faster and in higher numbers ltd (but less than 2:1 3DOs ltd)

-Gex was so hot 3DO rushed to bundle it afterward because people were hype for it. Why? Uh........ Yes.

-The software sales of older titles like Crash N Burn and Need for Speed indicate that 3DO was selling more the second half of its life than the first. Showing a lower price may have doubled or tried both games sales earlier.

-Road Rash fever was legit.

I'd expect some of these to double in 96 or more (Gex hit a million) there was another version of this in 96 but I gave up on finding that very long ago. I dont think those were backed up so a person with the physical press release would have to scan and dump it online.

Still we have these 1993 to end of 1995 ltd's so we at least have some perspective now on how 3DO software did in the marketplace.

•  
Edited by Leeroy ST
  • Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 8:04 AM, Leeroy ST said:

Also reposting here.

After years of giving up hope about an old business wire article vanishing off the net and broken links, I never thought I would find it again but I did! 8 years later. A user on Gaf posted the Gold/Platinum thing but he had no link and some of his games and numbers were wrong. But now I finally found the 3DO business wire sales article, likely was the only copy on the net. This time I will save and store, yes yes.

Anyway here are 3DO software sales figures as of Nov 1995.

Platinum titles more than 250,000 sold:

*Gex - Crystal Dynamics

*Fifa International Soccer - EA

Gold titles more than 100,000 sold:

*Crash ‘N Burn – Crystal Dynamics

*Road Rash – Electronic Arts

*The Need for Speed – Electronic Arts

*Shock Wave: Invasion Earth 2019 – EA

*Super Street Fighter II Turbo -Panasonic/Capcom

*Total Eclipse – Crystal Dynamics

*True Golf Classics: Pebble Beach Golf Links – Panasonic 

9 best sellers.

There's a pay archive site that said this:

Of the 200-plus titles in the existing 3DO arsenal, a handful have achieved major success. Crystal Dynamics' GEX leads the lot with more than 250,000 units sold to date. The next bestselling title, FIFA Soccer, has sold just over 200,000 units and Super Street Fighter II is approaching the 200,000 mark.

This was a month before in Oct, it lines up as Fifa passed 250k a month later. The above platinum sales were Nov 95.

This also shows by years end Super Street Fighter 2 is likely to be the 3rd Platinum title. Since it was already near 200,000 the two holiday months should put it over 250,000> easily, and you still have a year left.

Of course these dont include 1996, these are end if 1995 so no games like Blade Force or full LTDs.

Some takeaways here:

-Gex outsold every popular 3DO game before or after it's release in 6 months the same year it was launched 

-Gex along with SSFIIT showed 2D was still a big seller if the games were right. *Cough* Jaguar and Sony *Cough*

-Fifa used to be somewhat bigger in the US back then than after the late 90's.

-it took the Saturn two years to have top software beat these sales cumulatively in the US despite selling consoles faster and in higher numbers ltd (but less than 2:1 3DOs ltd)

-Gex was so hot 3DO rushed to bundle it afterward because people were hype for it. Why? Uh........ Yes.

-The software sales of older titles like Crash N Burn and Need for Speed indicate that 3DO was selling more the second half of its life than the first. Showing a lower price may have doubled or tried both games sales earlier.

-Road Rash fever was legit.

I'd expect some of these to double in 96 or more (Gex hit a million) there was another version of this in 96 but I gave up on finding that very long ago. I dont think those were backed up so a person with the physical press release would have to scan and dump it online.

Still we have these 1993 to end of 1995 ltd's so we at least have some perspective now on how 3DO software did in the marketplace.

•  

Some great information.  Thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised Dragon's Lair and Escape from Monster Manor aren't on there. Back in the days these two games were demo'ed everywhere I saw 3DO.

Hell the only 3 games I owned in 94-95 were Crash n Burn (as the FZ-1 pack-in), Dragon's Lair and Total Eclipse. TE was demo'ed on the Crash n Burn disc so I guess many people like me made it their first purchase after the initial console/games. And Dragon's Lair was a recognizable license.