IGNORED

Is Atari with Stadia possible at 4K-if so how?

SmearyToast

First off I’d like to introduce myself. 

(If anyone would like to skip down past this feel free)

I have an Atari VCS and I have had one pretty much since the first backers received them. I am not a backer however, I am one of the unlucky ones who paid 350 but then with shipping it all came to 400 dollars. (Of course I got the collectors edition so maybe not so unlucky—I dunno) Well it was just short of 400 actually—396.76.

Anyway I have it and I have been reading this forum since I first knew about it. I love the posts on here! And after sittting in the cattails watching from afar I decided to jump in the lake like everyone else and join up. Of course Had I known about this earlier I would of backed it. Even then that would of posed a problem cause I was on a service mission…sooo I love the look of it and everything. Like everyone here I want to get the most out of it.

It seems having the setting at 4K where it was unresponsive has been fixed in Atari OS. Thank goodness! However I have a stadia kit and so I know what 4K looks like on my television. I was excited to see official support for stadia and xcloud. 

Detail of going through issue starts here: 

I go to boot up stadia and I see it works great with doom and others but one problem is that I go to change it to 4K and it says (this device is not supported

I have an original steam machine the alpha R2 and I wanted to use this as a sexier solution to all the games I play ;) I think it’s literally the most beautiful console ever made! And the concept of a console/pc hybrid I have wanted to see since I first saw a gaming pc and the monstrosities that can accompany it. I was saddened Valve screwed up well the launch as well by confusing everyone. 

Here is what I tried: 

I tried forcing the plug-in through a setting after clicking find more about this problem in the app but it seemed that the Atari OS settings were not much in favor of that. It worked for a while but then it got choppy when playing and it rebooted itself.

Anyone have any success to this? If you would please chime in. Thanks! 

Additional info: 

btw I searched and I didn’t find a solution to this issue—I thought I remembered seeing a post but then I found it wasn’t about this because the app wasn’t out then and that solution through chrome I am trying to get to work. I am sure it’ll work if I set up for pc more but I really would not like to invest more dollars in this for ram, m.2 etc

My take so far on the console and launch itself: (information regarding the issue stops here if don’t care to read further) 

Updates have fixed the fan noise but it revs loud when playing games still like danger scavenger at 4K. Exclusives are not an issue for me when again they have to do what’s best to match their overhead and keep enough cash flow in the business. Limiting the places people play their games—they are not really in a spot to do that yet. As far as the system audibles—I hope they tweak it further. I too love the controller and if I ever decide it’s best for me to sell it it’ll be hard to part with it. 

I think it’s cool they were able to get something out during covid, running my own business I know how hard it can be to get the ball rolling on manufacturing something and getting all the processes and systems set up. Albeit they were a bit late, (I’m sure that must of been frustrating to hackers) to my knowledge they are the only ones who did what they said they would do when it came to shipping a console of this caliber out. 

I too wish they could of sold them at 200 but I understand their financial position and it’s hard to justify that when confidence in how many you will sell vs how much you will make is not certain. Which is why they probably went the pc route hybrid to justify it a bit more. Lastly I wish we were not beta testers for this thing. However they did what they could and no launch is perfect but this certainly could of been better from the start and made better initial impressions. Their hard decisions to make I’m sure—to push it back further and work out the bugs or release it, and being more open and honest about everything I think would of saved them from putting out fires. 

I look forward to sticking around. Thanks for having me and allowing me to apart of an awesome community! :) 

Edited by SmearyToast