IGNORED

7800 game recommendations?

T.A.P.

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

Are they doing their part?

I’ll probably never get the skills to code.

I can do grfx within certain limits.

1:I know plenty of hackers that became programmers,you're no different,even though 'you!' think "That shit is way to hard for me" they all thought the same,it's possible and with your reach.

2:That ability is a great asset,especially to programmers,you're far above the"I have an idea but need a programmer"

Edited by JumbleJag

Just now, JumbleJag said:

Depends how you view this,doing their part in bringing in new devs..no,Not in my opinion but maybe they want that,it's great to get praise,if others go far beyond your skill level on game programming,that praise you were getting will stop.

I cannot code like one line.

If someone says to me; can you do some sprites (8x8, 16x16, 32x32 et), sure, I’d give it my best shot.

Generally, I’d be more into; just how cool and playable is this to an uniniciated player, knowing nothing about production-limitations?

Is this a ‘good game’ to the user?

Can a user just insert it snd play it from in-game turtorials?

Is it fun?

etc

1 minute ago, JumbleJag said:

Nothing yet

I've coded a pc engine game and a c64 game(ported snail maze because nes had a version),I can include links to those if wanted

Thanks, - but even though it may sound far-fetched, my hardware-reality is that I have two iPhones, an iPad, a PAL 7800, an ntsc 7800, a 5200, a NES, a Famicon, and a Master system … which means…no PC, only IOS-handheld units…

I’ve nothing to run things on through emulation by now. Sorry buddy. In another 7800 thread we tried to discuss and share 7800 3D capabilities.

I think a good way to improve every aspect of reality (given to their proper categories within the fullness of reality, is to share info-specific details).

12 minutes ago, JumbleJag said:

Not sure what that has to do with anything Giles.I don't own a 7800 ,it's emulation for me.

Cool to have people getting into 7800-programming!

Cheers to that buddy!

What did I mean? Simply that my hardware-reality is bit limited right now.

Perhaps it’ll be better in future.

Hope you understand: last 12 months haven’t been that easy buddy (I mean privately).

All sorts of stuff that ‘should’ve been, but weren’t so’ etc.

I did some input on a KevinMos3 hack of Scrapyard Dog: many complained the protagonist looked like a … dork… and I thought… why not be the cutely-cuddly dog instead…

… so, perhaps I’ll be able to wrap my head around some very fundamental coding-stuff, but I still think my best input will be within grfx, game-concepts, game-planning/design.

Edited by Giles N

30 minutes ago, JumbleJag said:

Can you pixel in the 7800 limits?

I drew the dog-sprites for the KevinMos3 ‘Scrapyard Dog’ ‘Dog saving owner’ hack. He did a few adjustments, but generally, I’m aquainted with stuff like 8 double-pixels wide x 16 or 32 pixeld high in 3 colors with -transparent, etc.

It's all good Giles,I got overly excited because I thought cool I reverse engineered Tron Tanks and he's going to draw it in 160a so I can test it,I was also thinking omg.....all the patterns need to hand tested because of the resolution & all patterns need a fixed point table or frame delay table.Anyway Giles I'm new to the hardware Can I ask a favor?

Edited by JumbleJag

3 minutes ago, JumbleJag said:

You can see how I misinterpreted this

Well, here it is: I’m able to do/provide some 3 color + 1 transparent sprites/animations. Knowing the limits backdrop colors I could do something in that direction. All in all: I can do grfx and learn more about grfx.

I cannot code a single line of usable code.

Honor to those who’re able to do so.

2 minutes ago, JumbleJag said:

It's all good Giles,I got overly excited because I thought cool I reverse engineered Tron Tanks and he's going to draw it in 160a so I can test it,I wqas also thinking omg.....all the patterns need to hand tested because of the resolution & all patterns need a fixed point table or frame delay table.Anyway Giles I'm new to the hardware Can I ask a favor?

What’s the favor?

Tron Tanks and any background tiles so I can test collision and AI logic on a 160a display,no animation just tanks single frame.All of the Tank Logic is patterns based on were the player is < - I didn't want to say this part because people still love this game.

Edited by JumbleJag

Food Fight would be my top pick.

Ninja Golf is just zany and unique, but I think Mean 18 is a better golf game by far.

Robotron is a blast to play 2 player co-op. Yes I know it isn't meant to play that way but is a fun time.

You said no homebrews so I will hold off on my recommendations for those.

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth, here's my TOP 10 you hear.

1. Asteroids It might only be the "freebie" but I love this, especially teaming up with lil wifey.

2. Food Fight  Ignore the sparse play field; this plays like a crazy game of rugby with icecream scoring a try!

3. Joust  My wife's favourite and required play, especially in co-op on a Super Twin 78.

4. Tower Toppler This is hard but satisfyingly so. Graphically excellent. Also, the 7800 Difficulty Switches enable cheats.

5. Midnight Mutants I didn't get into this initially but once you get your feet, you'll wish it were bigger. Wives make excellent navigators too!

6. Mean 18 Ultimate Golf  A surprisingly excellent and addictive game.

7. Crazy Brix If you're a Paddler, this is essential.

8. Ms. Pacman It's absolutely true, girls are better at Pacman and my wife outscores me .

9. Galaga Obviously.

10. Xevious This game becomes truly playable with an Edladdin Controller.

On 9/21/2021 at 6:36 PM, JumbleJag said:

C64 has the most developers with nes as a close second,master system third with 7800 coming in last.This comes down to programmers helping bring other programmers into the community,the c64 has loads of tutorials,the nes has some quite good tutorials,the master system has a few tutorials,the 7800 has no tutorials.A large majority of new c64 programmers could get into 7800 with some help but there isn't really anything to help them,for me this is a big reason why the 7800 dev community is so small.

Documentation is a big thankless job. We do it, but it's obviously it's rather scattershot at the moment, and as a result it's not a hand-holding experience. It's a matter of there being probably less than a dozen active 7800 devs, and usually it's a small subset of devs contributing to docs.

It isn't documentation leading to more active developers, as you're supposing, but rather a feedback loop of more devs producing more docs and tools which in turn leads to more devs.. Our feedback loop isn't that strong yet (7800 install base is tiny compared to c64 and nes) but it's been growing year by year. If you doubt that, have a look at the number of new homebrew projects announced and finished over recent years.

If you're the type who likes to make their mark, the 7800 is the wild west right now. If you need a mature set of docs that hold your hand, then the 7800 might not be for you. Check back in a few years.

On 9/21/2021 at 7:23 PM, Giles N said:

If coders would:

a) share with each others best tricks/methods,

b) then: improve upon whats learned,

c) again, re-share with each others best tricks, best-methods

7800 devs exchange this info and show off techniques all of the time. 7800 devs cheer each others projects all of the time. Drop by the dev forum some time.

As the guy that spends his own money on running the 7800 dev wiki, spent countless hours revising and polishing the GCC docs, composed all kinds of original docs and tools, and has privately helped assembly and 7800basic devs alike with issues, I find this implication that we're all locking away our secret techniques to be utter trash. If you don't think enough is being done, jump in and help out where you can, rather than criticising how far along we are compared to platforms with hundreds of active devs. Or not. But your armchair critique is dead wrong. 

Apologies to OP for adding to the off-topic discussion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

spends his own money on running the 7800 dev wiki, spent countless hours revising and polishing the GCC docs, composed all kinds of original docs and tools, and has privately helped assembly and 7800basic devs alike with issues, I find this implication that we're all locking away our secret techniques to be utter trash. If you don't think enough is being done, jump in and help out where you can, rather than criticising how far along we care compared to platforms with hundreds of active devs. Or not. But your armchair critique is dead wrong. 

Uhm… I guess I got across on a sort of a wrong note here.

Sorry ‘bout that.

I’ll take criricism for not wording myself in the realm of ‘maybe this or that could further the cause’, as coding is a high-performance task in game-development.

As to the implication that …; ‘we’re all locking away our secret techniques…’, - well, - uhm, - no,  - I wasn’t so much referring to a sorta one-world-7800-coding-conspiracy, as just saying that 7800-devs., should, perhaps, more often than not, - share open(-source) whatever their own coding-experiences and what it did for their output/game/program.

- - - 

You take my input on a level far beyond that which I intended it to be read as…

… 

And if I’d unknownigly overlooked coders learning from other coders’,

… I do a classical thing;

I’m sorry…

I’m sorry if I put out non-constructive stuff without seeing things from the point of perspective of those spending the most time and energy involved in it.

- - - 

I’m not faultless by default ad to communication.

If I came across as offensive; sorry - didn’t want that… 

Only wanted for coders to share coding-tips, and now I know you do..!

• Like 1