IGNORED

7800 game recommendations?

T.A.P.

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

It isn't documentation leading to more active developers, as you're supposing, but rather a feedback loop of more devs producing more docs and tools which in turn leads to more devs.. Our feedback loop isn't that strong yet (7800 install base is tiny compared to c64 and nes) but it's been growing year by year.

I guess this topic, issue or category was what I wanted to address, successfully or not.

(I was only into grfx back in the 90’ies, - not coding  , which I left to others but still compelled into a position where I had to ask practical questions of ‘is this possible… or not?’

2 hours ago, RevEng said:

It isn't documentation leading to more active developers, as you're supposing, but rather a feedback loop of more devs producing more docs and tools which in turn leads to more devs.. Our feedback loop isn't that strong yet (7800 install base is tiny compared to c64 and nes) but it's been growing year by year.

And, - I guess, - the comments I put out was on the cord of feedback-loops to build, to increase by ‘comparing notes’, - to be a good way for info-build-up to happen…

And… for the future; I’ll have a look-out for 7800-system coding put online…

Even though I only wanted to provide or help-out 8-bit grfx, - sure, the above must carry significance…

2 hours ago, RevEng said:
On 9/22/2021 at 1:23 AM, Giles N said:

If coders would:

a) share with each others best tricks/methods,

b) then: improve upon whats learned,

c) again, re-share with each others best tricks, best-methods

Expand  

7800 devs exchange this info and show off techniques all of the time. 7800 devs cheer each others projects all of the time. Drop by the dev forum some time.

As the guy that spends his own money on running the 7800 dev wiki, spent countless hours revising and polishing the GCC docs, composed all kinds of original docs and tools, and has privately helped assembly and 7800basic devs alike with issues, I find this implication that we're all locking away our secret techniques to be utter trash.

And if I only wanted to communicate was the utter thrashness of yoor@RevEng and fellows, 7800-interactions, I’d be that well-preserved (fair ‘nough that I’m not initially not…).

But Sirius 7800 is the best horizontal spaceship shooter on the system so far.

so far.

But, - heck -, how do 7800 owners need old and new games to work and stay working…

- - -

I would recommend every new retro-buyer/obtainer of a 7800 system to get copies of ‘Sirius’ and ‘Plutos’ (straightway)

- - -  

Perhaps you take my input on a note like to much orders (just get-it-done), while I thought a 2 year-long back ‘n forth between 7800 coders … could get us somewhere…

4 hours ago, RevEng said:
On 9/22/2021 at 1:23 AM, Giles N said:

If coders would:

a) share with each others best tricks/methods,

b) then: improve upon whats learned,

c) again, re-share with each others best tricks, best-methods

Expand  

7800 devs exchange this info and show off techniques all of the time.
[which is good for all users, and particularly so if open-source-code. That which works can be imitated]

7800 devs cheer each others projects all of the time. Drop by the dev forum some time.

(….and I’m sorry if I got the community-expression wrong here; just not easy … is it? You sit a half-to-a-quarter of a planet as receving info, sending info, evaluating info…

… real, hard-shit, life-stacked info like how the best 7800-games can be developed as of 2022, -  oh,  man,    thats, thats like     really, really, really rough… Man… or little coder-gal over there). Y

You,

Me,

We,

Us

…. will have to wait for Christmas Eve to be an

Audio-Visual Explosion … this year…

[while you secured AAA-comfort for your parents’ retirement-]

4 hours ago, RevEng said:

As the guy that spends his own money on running the 7800 dev wiki, spent countless hours revising and polishing the GCC docs, composed all kinds of original docs and tools, and has privately helped assembly and 7800basic devs alike with issues, I find this implication that we're all locking away our secret techniques to be utter trash. If you don't think enough is being done, jump in and help out where you can, rather than criticising how far along we are compared to platforms with hundreds of active devs. Or not. But your armchair critique is dead wrong. 

Apologies to OP for adding to the off-topic discussion.

Put it onto YouTube,  proffessional style minusA - plussZ way of learner to get onto it 

(As to how-to

hack code

hack grfxs sections

hack soun.       
                       add Pokey sound)

section by section

category by category

hack-in by hack-in

improvement by improvemrnt,

through endless trial and errors,

And on lucky occasitions,

Things  gets  fixed.

Games get completed, published,

played, analyzed, youtubed, discussed…. And why…?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

- adding optimal source code to communities, 

could be interesting

- developing a standard 8-direction scrolling field for the 7800 

(even through means of pure competition of skill, could be nice)

- - -

Personally, so I’m just so into the grfx - just a few questions like how the NES could thrive on Mario, Sega on 3D-superscalers + Sonic

- - -

• Confused 2

7800basic IS well documented if you really want to dip your toes into the 7800. Help is always around on the forum if you ask, however im not a fan of how-to videos. We just end up with an influx of people making 101 clones like the tinkernut bB guide that was on YouTube.

The only way to really learn is to:

a) have the desire to read and learn the language.

b) have an interest that stems past a weekend project.

c) look, listen and ask questions when needed.

d) most importantly experiment.

I find the only real way to learn is getting stuck on a feature and grinding it out till you fully understand where you went wrong. Not all the time however sometimes it's important rather than someone doing it for you.

We have many great artist, composers and testers whiling to give a hand on projects. Always get credited and those collaborators make the finished product really stand out. Many of us devs just suck at art and music so it's nice to have people whiling to work on the projects together.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, RevEng said:

If you don't think enough is being done, jump in and help out where you can, rather than criticising how far along we are compared to platforms

The things I said was written some time back, and it came out of talking with this guy who wanted to try his hand on coding/homebrewing.

I didn’t really think I had any intention of criticizing any coding-projects or coders either explicitly or implicitly.

I should rather have said ‘perhaps can learn lots of stuff, get to best tricks etc by looling into what other homebrewers already have done and/or study source-codes to get ideas…

It was more back a back n forth chit-chat… and I worded myself perhaps in a way that shows that was a complete outsider to how things work.

So hope this help clear up things as to intentions etc.

I think the homebrewers have worked marvels with the 7800 - restoring Sirius, Plutos, made Crystal Quest, Pa Man Collection and Rikki and Vikki…

All awesome stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

@RevEng, @Muddyfunster, @Pat Brady, @Karl G, @x=usr(1536), @TwentySixHundred, @Defender_2600

Ok, I think I need to apologize for the incoherent content of my posts on 2. and 3. December (2022 I will add, as some of the topics discussed was from previous to that).

At times, I struggle with personal problems (as this thread may not be precisely the one to discuss everything I personally struggle with, I’ll limit it to a few main categories). I struggle with some anxiety-related problems and some insomnia-related problems.

The clinical medicines I use for this, induces in me an estrangement to proper syntax and grammar and wording.

Yes, I know I should have put my head on my pillow rather than replying on retro-gaming forums.

So my problem, my fault, was that I replied here on a topic towhich I did not really remembered much concerning my overall atitude when writing, - and being swayed by the side-effects of my sleeping-pills (and in addition, perhaps confused about how my older, ‘original’ output, was being taken), I replied under (medical) conditions, where my only proper behaviour would’ve been to put my head on my pillow and try to sleep.

Instead, I tried to reply here, and the output was incoherent and pretty meaningless.

So, first of:

Sorry about the mess.

Secondly;

My initial output wasn’t meant to imply anything about anyone (coders keeping secrets to themselves etc); it was just some stuff taken from the top of my head, on the note of what could speed-up 7800-programming, - and then, just coming straight out of my head without any further or deeper thought, I forgot to check out whether sharing best coding-standards with each others already was the standard.

So, it was pure shallowness and thoughtlessness on my side initially.

And, sure; I really understand such comments could be irritating to 7800-homebrew-coders.

Sorry for that.

I see that the coding-thread is making everything shared open to everyone getting in to it.

And my comments, written under the spell of sleeping-medication; sure - it must have been confusing to you here, as I can hardly make sense of the details myself.

I had some bad days.

And coz’ of that, I guess I screwed up here.

I’m sorry for that, and I hope we can get on.

I see and enjoy the outstanding efforts and achievements of 7800 homebrewers; you make the 7800 shine even more than many of the highly skilled original developers.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, Giles N said:

@RevEng, @Muddyfunster, @Pat Brady, @Karl G, @x=usr(1536), @TwentySixHundred, @Defender_2600

Ok, I think I need to apologize for the incoherent content of my posts on 2. and 3. December (2022 I will add, as some of the topics discussed was from previous to that).

At times, I struggle with personal problems (as this thread may not be precisely the one to discuss everything I personally struggle with, I’ll limit it to a few main categories). I struggle with some anxiety-related problems and some insomnia-related problems.

The clinical medicines I use for this, induces in me an estrangement to proper syntax and grammar and wording.

Yes, I know I should have put my head on my pillow rather than replying on retro-gaming forums.

So my problem, my fault, was that I replied here on a topic towhich I did not really remembered much concerning my overall atitude when writing, - and being swayed by the side-effects of my sleeping-pills (and in addition, perhaps confused about how my older, ‘original’ output, was being taken), I replied under (medical) conditions, where my only proper behaviour would’ve been to put my head on my pillow and try to sleep.

Instead, I tried to reply here, and the output was incoherent and pretty meaningless.

So, first of:

Sorry about the mess.

Secondly;

My initial output wasn’t meant to imply anything about anyone (coders keeping secrets to themselves etc); it was just some stuff taken from the top of my head, on the note of what could speed-up 7800-programming, - and then, just coming straight out of my head without any further or deeper thought, I forgot to check out whether sharing best coding-standards with each others already was the standard.

So, it was pure shallowness and thoughtlessness on my side initially.

And, sure; I really understand such comments could be irritating to 7800-homebrew-coders.

Sorry for that.

I see that the coding-thread is making everything shared open to everyone getting in to it.

And my comments, written under the spell of sleeping-medication; sure - it must have been confusing to you here, as I can hardly make sense of the details myself.

I had some bad days.

And coz’ of that, I guess I screwed up here.

I’m sorry for that, and I hope we can get on.

I see and enjoy the outstanding efforts and achievements of 7800 homebrewers; you make the 7800 shine even more than many of the highly skilled original developers.

The apology is both appreciated and accepted from my end.  Thank you for doing the right thing.

28 minutes ago, Giles N said:

It's doubtful that there's anyone here who hasn't had personal problems, including those surrounding mental health.  If I were to say that I've never had my own things going on in both of those categories, I'd be a liar.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If you're into arcade games, you get some really good ports.  Centipede, robotron, Joust, Ms Pac Man, Food Fight, galaga, donkey kong and jr (though sound, noise really,  is awful in the kong games), mario bros and Asteroids.

If you're willing to get into homebrew, you have some excellent choices here as well.  if the price scares you away, you can always give them a try on emulation and see if you like them and are worth the coin.  Beef Drop, B*nq, pac man collection, Galaxian, froggie, asteroids deluxe, astro blaster, donkey kong pokey, berzerk/frenzy, pengo, popeye, pac man jr, moon cresta AKAeagle,scramble, space invaders, circus,1942, super pac man.

I think there is a Mr Do! homebrew in the worlds and an excellent looking version of Mario Bros about to be released. 

If you're into arcade games, you get some really good ports.  Centipede, robotron, Joust, Ms Pac Man, Food Fight, galaga, donkey kong and jr (though sound, noise really,  is awful in the kong games), mario bros and Asteroids.

If you're willing to get into homebrew, you have some excellent choices here as well.  if the price scares you away, you can always give them a try on emulation and see if you like them and are worth the coin.  Beef Drop, B*nq, pac man collection, Galaxian, froggie, asteroids deluxe, astro blaster, donkey kong pokey, berzerk/frenzy, pengo, popeye, pac man jr, moon cresta AKAeagle,scramble, space invaders, circus,1942, super pac man.

I think there is a Mr Do! homebrew in the worlds and an excellent looking version of Mario Bros about to be released.