IGNORED

Fixing up a Mac IIfx - have questions...

HuckleCat

I recently was able to get my hands on a IIfx and am currently trying to fix it up. 

Anybody know anything about Nubus video cards?  This model of mac is one that did not come with one, so I'm trying to hunt one down, but feel I should get something better than the Mac II card that's everywhere. (I want to get a card that shows off the IIfx a bit)  What models should I be looking for?

Likely a dumb question, but will the 1996 AppleDesign keyboard work with the IIfx?

For the storage, I'll likely look into one of those CF flash pretend-HDD things.  Are they as easy on the Mac side as they are with old X86 boxes?

Thanks for any help!

20210830_140812.thumb.jpg.b91ff9024c12d512da8bbc058da557ef.jpg

• Like 1

I’m no Mac expert but I can answer the easy questions.

Yes, an AppleDesign keyboard should work with the Mac IIfx. They’re just standard ADB keyboards. 

These Macs use SCSI, and replacements are a bit pricier than their IDE counterparts. Most people but SCSI2SDs in their Macs but there are cheaper (but not necessarily worse) alternatives like the RaSCSI as well. 

Make sure you take a look at the PRAM battery and the capacitors if you haven’t yet. 

Congrats on getting the IIfx (awesome computer; iirc the fastest 68030 Mac), good luck restoring it. 

• Like 2

The IIfx is a nice machine, but its SCSI interface is a pain to work with.  In my experience, you can get lucky with an external SCSI2SD, but it will likely not work when you connect an additional external device to the bus.  The reason for the problems is that the signalling on the IIfx's SCSI bus deviates from the standard, so a special terminator (the "black terminator") is required to make things work properly.  I built myself a replica of this terminator, but still found it difficult to come to reliable setup.  With only one device inside of the machine and nothing else connected to the bus, you should be good to go.

Nubus video cards should be relatively easy to find on eBay, although ones with higher screen resolutions or color depths are not all that common.  Have a look at the Nubus video card guide for specs and information.

• Like 1