IGNORED

5200/8-bit combo multicart - is one possible since they're both the same animal???

BIGHMW

(TO THE MODS: this topic is directed at both 5200 and 8-bit owners simultaneously and deliberately, so that's why the double-post)

Well fellow 5200 and/or 8-bit/XEGS owners, would it be possible to (perhaps) make a multicart what would work with BOTH 5200 AND 8-bit games in the same unit, whether it be a 5200 or an 8-bit computer/XEGS???

I figure that it shouldn't be a problem (except which cartridge shell to house the circuitry in) considering that both they literally run on both the same 6502 processor and utilize the same ANTIC and GTIA graphics chips, the only issue I can see is maybe the OS are different but then if Fred Quimby @batari can offer a dual multicart for 7800 owners (I also own one of those too, and a 2600 Jr.) like the soon-to-be iconic Concerto (released last year) has as it can run both 7800 AND 2600 games (even though you have to merely change the SD card, not much to it) because Concerto has dual firmware capability that allows you to run both (one or the other), then someone can come up with this....

.....so who's gonna do it???

Besides the obvious, that being the completely different edge connector the 5200 can address more ROM than the A8 computer line.  Don't hold your breath on this one.  Second obvious issue - the ROMs are different for each machine so there would need to be a different menu for each or a way to only show compatible games.  You might as well take a multi-cart for the 5200 and a multi-cart for the A8 machine, and duct tape then together, double-ender style, because that's all any other solution will be.

The reason the concerto can play both 2600 and 7800 games is because the 7800 itself is already programmed to do this. The BIOS rom on the 7800 is programmed to look for specific things to know what game is inserted into it and then switch modes automatically. 

Point being, is that the 7800 was designed from the start with this in mind already so making a multicart that can do both is much easier in this case than it would be for two different systems. Yes, the 8-bit line and the 5200 share the same blood, but they are implemented in different ways. That is really the easiest way I can describe it.